• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The heads of the USMC and Army are saying that they think the time has come for women to register for the draft. Fair's fair, I guess. I'd much rather see the entire draft thing done away with and have a truly voluntary military (which it is, in reality, but with the threat of involuntary servitude hanging above everyone's head), but if we are to have equality in the military then it only seems fair that capable women should shoulder some of the burden, too. They've already proven that they can do most of the same jobs in the military as men and serve in combat positions. This is just one more peg in the board.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...its-time-for-women-to-register-for-the-draft/

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Do you have any idea at all of how deep in the poop we would have to be before we started up a draft again? It would be deep. WW3 type of deep, in which case, yes, sign em up and ship em out. We should already be like Israel and a few other countries and have mandatory 2 years service. I don't care if all they do is paint rocks and pick up litter after basic and AIT. We wouldn't have half the idiots running around that we have now.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's more like signing up for a draft that's just not there.
    Nobody classifieds anyone, disabled, clergy, conscientious objectors and many others register. The women also should have the responsability to register.
    Mandatory Service would do this Country well.

And there's some of us out there that never did register for the draft..

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sign them up. This is something I would actually file away in "legitimately improves gender equality".

I'm of prime draft age and support the system.

Not a big fan of mandatory civil service since I think it would end up being wasteful, but I see no problem in having high school seniors take a two or three week basic training course upon graduation. I also think M16s and M4s exiting from military service should be stripped down, put into a new semi-auto configuration, and sold by the CMP to help fulfill their mission of encouraging marksmanship among the masses. (Full auto would be ideal, but I don't see that as likely happening).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So we can waist time and money watching them fail. Great idea. They don't belong in combat arms...and I don't care what countries past experiences you want to bring up. Maybe I should just say they don't belong in a winning military; one that won't accept massive losses as the cost of success, one that is built to defeat its enemies.

Draft? Okay, combat arms...no.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I could REALLY say something ..... Think of the bill that is "dead", in the state house .....

I think, I'd better keep my fingers off the keyboard .....

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I know quite a few men that wouldn't be cut out for combat.....Or do you forget how fat and lazy most of our country is? I also know quite a few cross fit women that would wipe the floor with most men.

Here.....Take a look at the average body of an America. Fat and lazy.
    Body Measurements Of Average American Man - Business Insider

Put them in the draft. Keep the hurdles the same. Lots of women AND men won't make the cut. Those who don't clear the pass/fail criteria for combat can sweep ship decks.

So we can waist time and money watching them fail. Great idea. They don't belong in combat arms...and I don't care what countries past experiences you want to bring up. Maybe I should just say they don't belong in a winning military; one that won't accept massive losses as the cost of success, one that is built to defeat its enemies.

Draft? Okay, combat arms...no.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All the more reason for universal conscription. Allow them to choose Branch. If they pass Basic let them choose advanced training. If they can not pass Basic send them to the fat farm, get them in shape, back to basic and on to advanced training.

All of this within the needs of the military. All options will not always be available.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm too small. 125 lbs and 5'10". I'm under military minimum weight by 7 lbs. What happens to me? Is there a cheeseburger farm?

All the more reason for universal conscription. Allow them to choose Branch. If they pass Basic let them choose advanced training. If they can not pass Basic send them to the fat farm, get them in shape, back to basic and on to advanced training.

All of this within the needs of the military. All options will not always be available.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    YEP.
    That guy was in my platoon in the 82d Airborne. On a training jump we were all in the assembly area except for him. Some one told us to look at the DZ and there was a parachute with a guy hanging below. He had caught a thermal and was bobbing up and down above the DZ.

We all envied him.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I seem to hold both views simultaneously. I hate our system of conscription but wouldn't mind being born in Switzerland and having mandatory military training (as well as a state issued Sig Sauer rifle for life).
    I don't mind being trained to defend my country in preparation for the worst case scenario. The idea that you could be forced to fight for some other countries sovereignty or in defense of vague 'national interests' is despicable.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Fair is fair. I wouldn't have wanted the majority of the women I saw in my years as a Grunt in my fighting position but there were a few that could out fight and were more tactically proficent than a lot of my charges.
    Same standards for both. Period.

Bob

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Concur. The only way to stop this madness is to require any politician voting for war to fight in said war (and I don't mean sitting behind the line drinking beers with the general, they need to be on the front line with a rifle in hand). Lots of bloated fat rich guys sending poorer guys to go die for their money.

It's been said that "wars are fought by the poor for the benefit of the rich," and it's still the case today.

The idea that you could be forced to fight for some other countries sovereignty or in defense of vague 'national interests' is despicable.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Concur. The only way to stop this madness is to require any politician voting for war to fight in said war (and I don't mean sitting behind the line drinking beers with the general, they need to be on the front line with a rifle in hand). Lots of bloated fat rich guys sending poorer guys to go die for their money.

It's been said that "wars are fought by the poor for the benefit of the rich," and it's still the case today.

True, that might be the most despicable part, politicians who never served, or even got deferments to avoid serving, becoming huge hawks and wanting to send soldiers everywhere.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Send the "Yes" votes strait to the front line. You'll find out which wars are really necessary pretty damn fast.

True, that might be the most despicable part, politicians who never served, or even got deferments to avoid serving, becoming huge hawks and wanting to send soldiers everywhere.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I seem to hold both views simultaneously. I hate our system of conscription but wouldn't mind being born in Switzerland and having mandatory military training (as well as a state issued Sig Sauer rifle for life).
    I don't mind being trained to defend my country in preparation for the worst case scenario. The idea that you could be forced to fight for some other countries sovereignty or in defense of vague 'national interests' is despicable.

I actually think you're on to something. A draft registration that allows for draftees to "opt out" of foreign entanglements, but makes defense of sovereign American soil compulsory.

Top Bottom