• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If you arm yourself because some bad guy might attack you, then you should NEVER drink to such an extent that your shooting would be affected. Why be vigilant in one area, only to drop your guard in another?

I have nothing against getting drunk. But if security is a concern, grab a buddy to stand on guard duty.

Let me elaborate. I don't think the issue should be one of drinks vs. guns. It should be drinks vs. awareness. Are you going to remain situationally aware, are you going to be able to pick out potential troublemakers and figure out the best course for ensuring your safety? To me these are the two biggest questions.

More questions: if you are confronted with a really bad situation, are you going to be able to use force to protect yourself (this may or may not include firearms)? And when you appear in court, will the other guy's attorney be able to paint you as violent drunk who attacked his innocent saint of a client?

Anyone seen The Seven Samurai? To test for the seventh samurai, the leader tells a boy to hide behind the door way. When the would-be seventh comes through the door after a night of drinking and partying, the boy is to hit him on the head with a stick. The boy protests: "But that's unfair! He's drunk!" The leader says: "No samurai would let himself get drunk enough that he lowers his guard."

How does it pan out? Well, you've gotta watch the movie. It's pretty awesome.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I understand what you are saying, but I suppose I was thinking that some guys who dont carry when they are drinking or dont drink while they are carrying might put all their guns in the safe when they open up a bottle of Corner Creek. I mean yeah, if I was with some old buddies and we were doing power hour with ever clear, might not be a good idea to have guns around but if I'm having a few glasses of eagle rare and sierra nevada then I'm going to keep my gun on me or near me.

To be honest, I am more hesitant to use or even think about using a gun if I am drinking because I would rather use my fists if the situation warranted force. I just wanted to see if people would sacrifice their safety in order to ensure that they are not being prosecuted for negligent use of force.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    :laugh:

I hope you are not typing this while waving a loaded gun in the air. :D

Not at all.

cowboy_shooting_drinking.gif

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I wasn't sure if anybody would get that.:yesway::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've got the first season on DVD ...with the generic rock-song over-dubs instead of the originals. Just remember, nothing in the movies (or tv sitcoms) happens by accident. ;)

There are irresponsible ("Here, hold my beer ...hey y'all, watch this!") and responsible people. Those who think before acting tend to make better choices in the long run and stay out of trouble. For them, drinking while armed may not compromise their responsible choices and actions. Others, as mentioned previously, might engage in irresponsible behaviors even while sober.

That said, I've found my reaction time and motor skills compromised while drinking and carrying ...and realized that it wouldn't be the best idea to use a firearm, even if I had to. I was then, essentially unarmed by choice.

I've also gone out with friends and fully knew I would be in no condition to drive, operate heavy machinery, or firearms. Because my intoxication was premeditated, I found a designated driver, and kept my chainsaw and firearms at home.

Most times, when I'm having a beer or two with dinner, I'm not terribly concerned. I'm aware of my limits and will switch to water at some point (and often have it with my meals regardless).

Top Bottom