"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Meh. All back water, fly over country, substandard schools.

I would love to present when you tell a Notre Dame law grad that. I'd pay money.

The rest of us have to mark our careers with the accomplishments we've had, ya know, practicing law. The "Dome" grads' career highlight seems to be graduating from Notre Dame....then forgetting how many cases they've lost to lowly Valpo grads.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would love to present when you tell a Notre Dame law grad that. I'd pay money.

The rest of us have to mark our careers with the accomplishments we've had, ya know, practicing law. The "Dome" grads' career highlight seems to be graduating from Notre Dame....then forgetting how many cases they've lost to lowly Valpo grads.

Hmmm. There must be much compressed within that statement.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

O phooey, Forgot purple again.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Well, it worked for healthcare.gov

Don't buy the product, get taxed anyhow. Win Win *****es.

Just a a couple comments. If you install solar panels there might still be some days when the sunshine isn't adequate to supply your power needs and you would need to access the grid. If you generate more than enough and want to sell kilowatts you would also need to access the grid via the transmission lines. In either case, someone has to maintain the poles, wires, and transformers. If you don't subscribe to that theory then you must believe that the few should benefit without having to pay and, therefore, at the expense of the many.

I serve on both a generation and distribution co-op board of directors. I am quite familiar with people complaining about having to pay a facilities charge. Those that complain have no concept of the power business model. i.e. Generate, distribute, meter, and invoice. Prior to distribution to a household the electric provider ( or any utility for that mater ) must invest in a hugely expensive distribution system while recovery of those costs takes decades.

I haven't considered this in the same vein as the controversy that surrounds a number of individual states that want to invoice drivers based on the number of miles driven, not on "excise" value of their car - but it does come mind !

YMMV

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just a a couple comments. If you install solar panels there might still be some days when the sunshine isn't adequate to supply your power needs and you would need to access the grid. If you generate more than enough and want to sell kilowatts you would also need to access the grid via the transmission lines. In either case, someone has to maintain the poles, wires, and transformers. If you don't subscribe to that theory then you must believe that the few should benefit without having to pay and, therefore, at the expense of the many.

I serve on both a generation and distribution co-op board of directors. I am quite familiar with people complaining about having to pay a facilities charge. Those that complain have no concept of the power business model. i.e. Generate, distribute, meter, and invoice. Prior to distribution to a household the electric provider ( or any utility for that mater ) must invest in a hugely expensive distribution system while recovery of those costs takes decades.

I haven't considered this in the same vein as the controversy that surrounds a number of individual states that want to invoice drivers based on the number of miles driven, not on "excise" value of their car - but it does come mind !

YMMV

This.
    If you want access to the grid, someone has to maintain the grid.
    Looks like this only applies to solar that is hooked up with the grid.

Don't want to pay, then get off the grid.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, is this a tax over and above the "minimum monthly" charge, or are they instituting a minimum where none existed?

If I am connected to the grid, I pay a $35 minimum charge. This covers connectivity and maintenance, I suspect. I then pay for all the electrons that pass through my meter separately.

Paying this base rate makes total sense to me. The cost of maintaining the infrastructure is different than the cost of power generation.

BUT, if they already pay a base rate, and are now charged AGAIN because "its not fair that you don't pay for generating capacity you don't use", well, that is BS. Shouldn't matter if I "rolled my own" this month, or if I was out of town and killed the main breaker before I left.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    So, is this a tax over and above the "minimum monthly" charge, or are they instituting a minimum where none existed?

If I am connected to the grid, I pay a $35 minimum charge. This covers connectivity and maintenance, I suspect. I then pay for all the electrons that pass through my meter separately.

Paying this base rate makes total sense to me. The cost of maintaining the infrastructure is different than the cost of power generation.

BUT, if they already pay a base rate, and are now charged AGAIN because "its not fair that you don't pay for generating capacity you don't use", well, that is BS. Shouldn't matter if I "rolled my own" this month, or if I was out of town and killed the main breaker before I left.

Not enough info in article. I would agree with a basic minimum fee as long as it was the same for everyone.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hmmm. There must be much compressed within that statement.

It starts with HoughMade being denied entry to Notre Dame's law school and continues through him exacting his revenge over the course of a few cases against Domers who, while appropriately polished, did not quite have the jury appeal they thought they deserved while the "aw shucks" demeanor of their opponent played quite well.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It starts with HoughMade being denied entry to Notre Dame's law school and continues through him exacting his revenge over the course of a few cases against Domers who, while appropriately polished, did not quite have the jury appeal they thought they deserved while the "aw shucks" demeanor of their opponent played quite well.

That's funny. Unfortunately, I will now forever picture you as Ben Matlock.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Scientists Slowly Reintroducing Small Group Of Normal, Well-Adjusted Humans Into Society - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

:rofl:

Scientists Slowly Reintroducing Small Group Of Normal, Well-Adjusted Humans Into Society

ITHACA, NY—In an ambitious attempt to revive a population long considered to be on the brink of extinction, scientists announced Friday they have slowly begun to reintroduce normal, well-adjusted human beings back into society.

According to officials at Cornell University, where for the past 18 years conservation researchers have operated an enclosed sanctuary for humans who are levelheaded and make it a habit to think before they speak, the endangered group is being cautiously reintegrated into select locations nationwide in hopes that they can reestablish permanent communities and one day thrive again.
    (continued)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Scientists Slowly Reintroducing Small Group Of Normal, Well-Adjusted Humans Into Society - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Scientists Slowly Reintroducing Small Group Of Normal, Well-Adjusted Humans Into Society

ITHACA, NY—In an ambitious attempt to revive a population long considered to be on the brink of extinction, scientists announced Friday they have slowly begun to reintroduce normal, well-adjusted human beings back into society.

According to officials at Cornell University, where for the past 18 years conservation researchers have operated an enclosed sanctuary for humans who are levelheaded and make it a habit to think before they speak, the endangered group is being cautiously reintegrated into select locations nationwide in hopes that they can reestablish permanent communities and one day thrive again.
    (continued)

Ha ha, great read!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

For the love of all that is Holy! Why does the lack of common sense rule the world? Even the pope, Never blame the evil, those that commit the evil it is always something else, blame the tools not those that wield the tools in acts of murder. Do these idiots dare to think that if the tools were not there the violence would stop? Evil men would stop being evil? I am so sick of these people, even the pope aiding and abetting the evil.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

(continued)

It sounds as though their idea of a normal human isn't much different from a college student. After being ripped apart on social media they had to return to their safe space.

I also think their idea of normal folks would be gunowners who are willing to listen to reason and turn in all of their guns for the children.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom