Are you committing a crime if you peel off a NO GUNS sticker on a business door?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bear-girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    But indiana doesn't have any laws for signs, they are meaningless, unless your asked to leave and refuse or leave and return with your weapon again, you are illegally trespassing. …
    This thread is about Illinois and North Carolina, not Indiana.

hysteria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Recently in North Carolina there was an anti-gun lady who went around to the stores and restaurants where she was a frequent customer and she posted NO GUNS signs on the front doors of the businesses. These were small stickers that she carried with her and she placed them in inconspicuous places in the corners of the doors, windows. She posted the stores as NO GUN so that she would feel safe shopping there. According to the NC law, it is illegal to carry a gun into a store posted with a NO GUNS sign.

She got caught. Turned out it was NOT a crime to post a NO GUNS sticker. But she did make headlines because she was ordered to NEVER return to a BBQ joint in her town by a pro-gun owner.

Illinois has a law similar to the North Carolina law, if a NO GUNS sign is posted at the entrance then it is ILLEGAL to carry into the business; what happens if you PEEL OFF THE NO GUNS SIGN at an Illinois business?

I ask this because my wife frequents JoAnn Fabrics and in Indiana they allow guns. But I recently had to go to an Illinois location to pick up some fabric for my wife and found out NO GUNS sticker on the front door.

Is there no language in the law about size and placement?

I haven't read the article but I find it telling that she placed them "in inconspicuous places" and then reasoned that it was to make herself feel safe while shopping there under the guise that it would keep guns out.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd say so......not a huge one but it is.
    The placing of the sticker is technically a crime too.

In Indiana anyway for both.....and neither are likely to be prosecuted.

sbz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    indiana
    Yeah, I would just inform the business owner of the sticker. No reason to take a risk, and wind up with some stupid charge for a sticker.

Hogie08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Depending on where you are in the country, the anti-gunner placing the sticker would probably get a slap on the wrist at worst, but you as the evil gun-toting crazy would likely 3-5 next to Bubba. Never mind that the maximum time served for that crime is only 6 months.

I always just tell the manager or owner, "I'm sorry inform you, but it seems some crazy Feinstein worshiper has defaced your property with a 'No Guns Allowed' sticker. I assumed as a red-blooded American that you would want to be informed so that you can remedy this at once."

Top Bottom