Are you committing a crime if you peel off a NO GUNS sticker on a business door?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't see why vandalism of ANY sort would be deemed "not a crime".

Exactly that^.

Im pretty sure it is a crime, but follows along the lines of trespassing in Indiana, where it's not something officers (even though technically against the law), will arrest you for.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Im pretty sure it is a crime, but follows along the lines of trespassing in Indiana, where it's not something officers (even though technically against the law), will arrest you for.
    Are you saying that someone could damage my property and I have no recourse?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, he is saying it is likely a summons. Depends on the county.

Yes, it is likely Criminal Conversion and/or Criminal Mischief.

Keep your hands to yourself and write the owners.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are you saying that someone could damage my property and I have no recourse?
    No, I'm just saying that often "cosmetic" property crimes go un prosecuted. I've seen tons, and very very rarely is anything filed.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No, I'm just saying that often "cosmetic" property crimes go un prosecuted. I've seen tons, and very very rarely is anything filed.
    Huh... I wonder if "cosmetic property crimes" would be taken in the same light if it was the cop shop windows being stickered up.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah you could get in trouble for it… However, I do frequently go to my college campus and walk around the buildings taking all of the "Keep guns off campus" signs with a no smoking gun equivalent in the middle down off of the bulletin boards and walls. I need to call the number and find out who all is responsible! I am not winning exactly because I have taken down sooo many and some more go up! I think the frat guys could benefit from a competition giving a case of beer to the guy with the most posters collected at the end of the month! <--- But this was a serious thought hahaha I actually enjoy taking them down, makes me feel good and sometimes provides a laugh or brightens an otherwise normal day.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I think the frat guys could benefit from a competition giving a case of beer to the guy with the most posters collected at the end of the month!

Easy, the smartest drunk frat boy would use the college's printer to print a bunch up and win the free beer. :dunno:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Easy, the smartest drunk frat boy would use the college's printer to print a bunch up and win the free beer. :dunno:

Haha he would have to find poster paper and all maybe too much effort? Good thinking ahead thought! Plus I wouldn't care who wins, its more about being sure they all get taken down!

bear-girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Most states that have laws that give "no gun" signs the force of law also have requirements for the wording and the size of the sign. Chances are the small & inconspicuous signs that the OP described would not meet the sign requirements, so they would not have the force of law behind them.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Most states that have laws that give "no gun" signs the force of law also have requirements for the wording and the size of the sign. Chances are the small & inconspicuous signs that the OP described would not meet the sign requirements, so they would not have the force of law behind them.
    But indiana doesn't have any laws for signs, they are meaningless, unless your asked to leave and refuse or leave and return with your weapon again, you are illegally trespassing. If you deface someone's home or business, it is a crime, whether you get prosocuted is another matter…

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I make stickers for a living. Remove a sticker, and you remove a part of someone's soul.
    30 yrs to life for sticker removal. True story.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But indiana doesn't have any laws for signs, they are meaningless, unless your asked to leave and refuse or leave and return with your weapon again, you are illegally trespassing. If you deface someone's home or business, it is a crime, whether you get prosocuted is another matter…

NTSA!

Top Bottom