Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Edmund Burke a classic liberal?

Naaa.....

Now, Locke on the other hand....

Of course, others have argued that Jesus is the best example of liberty.

Nothing against ol' Locke...I know Burke a bit better because I'm his descendant and because he was around in the colonial days.

Jesus, now that is interesting, though he wasn't particularly political, I think it would be hard to dismiss his tendency for moral authoritarianism. And then there is the Church, which over the centuries doesn't quite have a pristine reputation for liberty.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I was once told by a very wise man. You dont have to go to church to love jesus, and praise god.

I dont like what I see in organized religion.. But I think the beliefs they teach are something we should all live by

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A little aside, that I hope doesn't offend anyone...

I think in this country we have a problematic culture of wanting to be the victim...we see it everywhere from the national level to the individual level. Look at every other facebook status...amiright? I think "we" have to be very careful about this minority/not-minority card, because I feel there is little moral high ground or pragmatism in playing the victim card. Not saying that is what is being done here, but it can be a rhetorically slippery slope.

And I put "we" in parenthesis up there because I'm no conservative. My thoughts on social (welfare or otherwise) and economic policy would make some of your blood boil, but that doesn't mean that I'm not a radically strong advocate (by Washington standards) for individual liberty. I'm sorry, I'm not going to side with moral authoritarianism or the idea that corporate liberty is a "free market", but I have a lot of passion for a number of conservatives ideals (as it happens, the 2A as it applies to self defense is one of them). I would say that people who think like me are a small minority for sure, but I think we are growing somewhat, and I would be willing to bet that we could occasionally be leveraged by true, yet tactical, conservatives. Be tactical, minority types.

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was once told by a very wise man. You dont have to go to church to love jesus, and praise god.

I dont like what I see in organized religion.. But I think the beliefs they teach are something we should all live by

Absolutely, and I respect that very much. I would honestly love to go further on that topic, but I don't think this is the forum for that sort of thing...the mods around here have no respect for individual sovereignty. :D

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You wouldnt think that if you saw their arsenals... lol

I think sometimes people can be one way about one thing, and another about another.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Nothing against ol' Locke...I know Burke a bit better because I'm his descendant and because he was around in the colonial days.

Jesus, now that is interesting, though he wasn't particularly political, I think it would be hard to dismiss his tendency for moral authoritarianism. And then there is the Church, which over the centuries doesn't quite have a pristine reputation for liberty.

Well, I simply appreciate that somebody knows who Burke is.

Where Jesus exhibited a tendency for moral authoritanism I may need some help.

Likewise, you are correct that "the church" has little understanding of Liberty, and little understanding of Jesus.

Locke is worth the read, as are each of the others.

Top Bottom