• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Beware of this rifle. The first ones that Century built were built with US barrels that had a 223 bore and they don't stabilize 5.45 ammo. It keyholes. I personally know of 3 like this that friends bought about a year ago.

I don't know if they fixed it or not. I would call before I ordered.

Steve

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Yes I was worried about the keyholing. How bad was it? Also is keyholing bad? Of I get it it will be for defense.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yes I was worried about the keyholing. How bad was it? Also is keyholing bad? Of I get it it will be for defense.

Yes its bad. A keyholing bullet isn't an accurate or effective bullet.

Here's a target from a bad Tantal.
    tantalbrakerfwe0.jpg

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...loading/51288-great_picture_of_keyholing.html

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thats ugly :) I must have gotten lucky mine shoots fine. I have read though on the 5.45 the some of the ammo is intensionally loaded to tumble, (probably on impact though)
    The base of the bullet is loaded much heavier with steel. thats what I read anyway

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    If your were with in 50 feet and it was a self defense senario, that would be one bad @$$ self defense rifle. I would hate to imagine a bullet traveling almost 3000 fps coming at me side ways. I would rather have a 7.62x39 (AK-47).
    Chris Kiefner

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I can't imagine that all AK74's are that bad. I would think that if you got a good one, it would be a fairly effective weapon. The benefits of the AK, with a caliber comperable to the AR, but cheaper to shoot!?

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I can't imagine that all AK74's are that bad

They're not. Just the Century built Tantals with the US made .223 barrels. Ive built several with Bulgarian kits with original barrels(before the import ban) that shoot fine. Accuracy is on par with any military rifle.

Steve

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I've tried one that a friend had, shoots resonably good, but I prefer my ak47's, I've got 4 of them, back (way back) when they were all inports at about 200-300 each.

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I would not think that the "keyhole shots" would look like wad cutters made them. I am a non believer in this photo. I have however been wrong before.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    still grouped pretty good. I don't see that you have a problem. Like to see what that would do to a coyote.
    Chris Kiefner

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    I finally got a chance to take my CAI ak-74 tantal out today. I used 53gr mil surplus, 60gr silver bear, and 70gr wolf military classic. Of the silver bear, I believe every round key holed shooting at 50 yards. I alternated brands in the event barrel heat played any role, but the military surplus and wolf military classic shot fine and did not keyhole once. I walked in on the silver bear and they continued to keyhole even shooting at 5 yards. I have come to the conclusion that my Tantal just doesn't like 60gr ammo. I know the wolf MC has around 500 fps less velocity, not sure about the mil surplus so that may play a role...

As far as the .223 barrel comments, the info I found on the net came to the conclusion that the 5.45 bullet had the same diameter as the .223 regardless of the "name" diameter being different. There was more issue with the rate of twist and in some cases lighter rifling being the problem. I have an 5xx model number Tantal and it stabilizes the bullet fine when not using 60gr Silver Bear ammo...

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    WOW ....That target is sick, is that for real?? I know if you buy a gun made by Century and its messed up they'll fix it. I had a WASR with the trunion installed crooked and they fixed it.without charge of course...does anyone know if the ak-74s had the trouble of canted front sights or gas block?

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I got my CAI Tantal 7 months ago and it is my favorite Ak by far. I have always used military surplus ammo. I have never had a jam of any kind nor any keyholed shots. The gun shoots very flat. The fit and finish of the gun is much better than other AK variants save possibly the Yugo. I would wholeheartedly recommend one. Just don't feed it commercial 60gr. ammo. She likes the cheap military stuff.

Top Bottom