• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    are the lancaster arms ak-74s decent? I've been looking at getting an ak-74 and try to steer away from century stuff.

Lancaster has been hit-and-miss; the quality of the guns is generally good, but delivery and service has sucked.

If you want a -74, buy an Arsenal SGL and be done with it.

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    how does alternating brands play any role in barrel heat?

I alternated brands so I was shooting each brand/weight from cold to hot barrel temp putting a few rounds through at each magnitude of thermal expansion, if any... Some reports noted more keyholes as the barrel got hot. I guess I could have worded the statement a little better.

Last edited:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Keyholing is from improper internal barrel diameter and wrong twist rate could exacerbate the issue. Basically US manufacturers trying to get away with using .223/5.56mm barrels in a gun that needs a 5.45mm barrel.

The original foreign AK74 5.45mm barrels are 100% good to go and DO NOT KEY HOLE!

Any other story about ammo being the reason is BS propaganda fed to the customers that bought guns from a certain manufacturer.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm in the market for an AK-74 right now and have been doing some research over at the AK section on the ar15.com website.

The first batch of $450 Lancaster "Rough Rider" AK-74's through Aimsurplus.com had chrome-lined barrels. They sold out completely in 48 hours....

The new batch (including the Lancaster Rough Riders that Atlantic Firearms is selling) do not have chrome-lined barrels. There is a lot of discussion on the AK board over at ar15.com about the new "Stainless Steel" barrels that Rough Riders come with now and how it is not a good match shooting corrosive ammo out of a non-chromelined barrel.

It sucks because if I'm going to shoot the corrosive surplus 5.45x39 ammo I would rather have a chrome-lined barrel.

Besides the barrel issue everyone seems pleased with their Lancasters.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Explain to me why only the 60gr Silver Bear is key holing for me?

So basically believe a US company who just started pumping out Ak74 barrels or believe Barnaul a Russian company that has been pumping out 5.45 ammo since 1974?

:popcorn:

I'll think I'll go with the Russians myself....

You came to the conclusion that a 5.56mm barrel and a 5.45mm AK74 barrel are the same diameter. That statement makes no sense what so ever.

The US made Tantal barrels have WELL documented history of keyholing and the cause is not attributed to the ammunition.
    The cause is the US made barrels that Century Arms International used on the builds not being spec for 5.45x39mm ammuntion. Century has a history of just throwing guns together and get them out there and fixing the problems later on or through warranty service for those that complain.
    From what I hear they have corrected the issue but have not heard any concrete information to back that claim up.
    However I read numerous internet postings of Tantals and even S&W MP15 5.45's keyholing (less of the M&P's).

Not trying to hurt anyones pride here or dis anyones guns but facts is facts.

And as far as explaining why only 60 grain is keyholing:

Any barrel is that is worn or for instance out of spec (too large diameter) will have problems stabilizing heavier bullets before it exhibited the same problems with lighter rounds. It probably has enough interference fit to stabilize the lighter bullets for now but once it gets worn in I bet you'll start seeing the same ole' situation key-holing with the lighter rounds as well.

Last edited:

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    So basically believe a US company who just started pumping out Ak74 barrels or believe Barnaul a Russian company that has been pumping out 5.45 ammo since 1974?

:popcorn:

I'll think I'll go with the Russians myself....

Well, Barnaul made my keyholing silver bear ammo.... I'm not saying I believe either party, I just want to know why only 1) brand is giving me issues when the barrel is to large and everything should keyhole...

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    S
    You came to the conclusion that a 5.56mm barrel and a 5.45mm AK74 barrel are the same diameter. That statement makes no sense what so ever.

Any barrel is that is worn or for instance out of spec (too large diameter) will have problems stabilizing heavier bullets before it exhibited the same problems with lighter rounds. It probably has enough interference fit to stabilize the lighter bullets for now but once it gets worn in I bet you'll start seeing the same ole' situation key-holing with the lighter rounds as well.

I didn't come to the conclusion, I was referencing something I had read on an AK forum where the bullet diameters had been mic'd and the round named 5.45 had an actual diameter closer to .223/5.56 than "5.45"...

As far as the out of spec barrel, it stabalizes the wolf 70gr just fine, but not the lighter 60gr......

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    From what I hear they have corrected the issue but have not heard any concrete information to back that claim up.
    However I read numerous internet postings of Tantals and even S&W MP15 5.45's keyholing (less of the M&P's).

I did much research before purchasing mine. One of the reason's I pulled the trigger is the corrections CAI apparently made to the barrels to correct the issue. From what I understand they changed the twist rate of the barrels after a certain serial number. You could look it up on one of the several AK forums to find the serial number cutoff, but I know it is all production models from 18 months or so ago to the present that have the changes. Anything sold from a high volume internet retailer or from a local shop should easily be past the cutoff.

Spend money if you like on something twice the price. However, my one modern rifle I will not be parted with is my Tantal. Buy lots of cans-o-ammo for cheap while you can.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well I blame shooter521 for my wanting an ak in 5.45. first the game and now this? shooter my wife is gonna be PISSED at you.:):

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    AK 74's

I have a Bulgarian 74 sold by Marcolmar in Richmond,IN and a WASR2 from Romania and they are by far more accurate than any of the 8 Akm47's I have owned and have never "keyholed" one time! IMO the 74 is way more fun and as reliable as any 47! Thats my :twocents: for whats its worth!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I have a Bulgarian 74 sold by Marcolmar in Richmond,IN and a WASR2 from Romania and they are by far more accurate than any of the 8 Akm47's I have owned and have never "keyholed" one time! IMO the 74 is way more fun and as reliable as any 47! Thats my :twocents: for whats its worth!

Marcolmar builds 74's with original Bulgarian barrels as I remember.

Good quality from what I have seen and heard.

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    74's

Marcolmar builds 74's with original Bulgarian barrels as I remember.

Good quality from what I have seen and heard.

Yes they have original barrels, the best Quality I have seen around here, but these were actually built for them by Troy Sellars at In Range in Kodak, Tenn. Marcolmar supplied all the hand selected kits, the Russian side folder and handguards and the NODAK recievers and Troy assembled them. I picked mine up in Richmond and must say that Dave Bane is awesome to work with and an all around great guy!

Mrcole

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indianapolis

Agreed! ^^

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom