Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Does anyone in the Indy area stock Springfield TRP's?

nice guns, but Overpriced for what it is.

For that one particular? Or all TRP's in General?

TRPs in general. At the 1300 price point, they should have better internals. The OEM factory MIM stuff is functional enough, but doesn't belong in 1300+ gun. STI or Dan Wesson would be a better value.

And I think having TACTICAL engraved on the dustcover is super cheesy.

1911's are complicated.

If you are serious about buying one, why buy one directly off the production line? In your price range they are still not going to have the best fire controls and certainly won't have hand fitted components overall or at all.

The TRP model you are looking at will need a replacement rear sight if you are serious about carry for defense. Those snag free rears look cool but are useless for one hand clearing/loading, etc. Might as well go with the good stuff (Trijicon HD) rather than paying for "combat tritium" you'll replace anyway?

If I were you I'd be talking to AllenM. You and he could be shopping for a decent gun/frame to build on or build all together. Heck, he might even have one laying around?
    I'd go 5" stainless for starters. :twocents:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you are serious about buying one, why buy one directly off the production line? In your price range they are still not going to have the best fire controls and certainly won't have hand fitted components overall or at all.

The TRP model you are looking at will need a replacement rear sight if you are serious about carry for defense. Those snag free rears look cool but are useless for one hand clearing/loading, etc. Might as well go with the good stuff (Trijicon HD) rather than paying for "combat tritium" you'll replace anyway?

If I were you I'd be talking to AllenM. You and he could be shopping for a decent gun/frame to build on or build all together. Heck, he might even have one laying around?
    I'd go 5" stainless for starters. :twocents:

This is actually a good point.

After buying an old pre-series II Kimber and fixing it up the the way I wanted....then buying a TRP and fixing it up the way I wanted....then an STI Sentry and fixing it up the way I wanted....and then a Springer 9mm RO and doing the same, I've finally learned custom is the way to go. Perhaps one of the coolest thing about 1911s is the sheer amount of choice you have in everything about the gun. Flat, short 3lb trigger? Easy. Long round cutout 5lb trigger? yup. Wide single side safety? OK. Narrow ambi? sure. Wide on the strong thumb side and narrow on the other? Uh-huh. The trouble is, even a $3k Nighthawk isn't exactly what I like. I still would change things, and so a custom ends up cheaper when it's all said and done.

1911s aren't rocket science and you'd be surprised the value you can get from local 'smiths building you a custom, as opposed to the big names (who for the most part just hire people to do the work and then slap their over-hyped name on it for 100+% margin increase)

ZRTS in Noblesville has done some great work for me. (full disclosure, I'm a ZRTS sponsored competition shooter)

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Hmmm, with the full size guns I think the 2011 grip feels night and day different. Have not messed with the smaller guns though.

My favorite 1911 grips are 2011 sized ( DSPerman Products ).

Mine started as a full sized 2011 but the barrel and grip were chopped to officer dimensions. It feel perfect to me, a combination of everything that I like in a carry gun.

I like those grips too, the shape just feels good in my hand...:):

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    The stats you are referring to are LEO stats. I'm not an LEO, and I would bet if the need arises to use my firearm it will be in a situation vs more than one bad guy.

Carrying a 1911 with an 9 round magazine leaves you with 3 badguys with zero misses, statistically speaking...

If any of them have opioids in their system, then it's going to take more than 3 shots.

I'll stick with 16 in the gun, and 30 on my belt. ;)[/QUOTE]

3 bad guys, double tap all 3 , (if needed) thats only 6 rounds, still have 4 rounds left plus 4 full mags, that should get me back to my car.
    yes I see 16 is better, but if one likes the 1911 action better and is a accurate shot with it, I think it will do the job just fine.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Got my Dan Wesson Valor for $1399 brand new from Buds. I did my homework and determined it was the best "off the shelf" 1911 you can buy.

In the first 50 rounds I had 10 malfunctions. 5 of which were in the first magazine. Trigger wouldn't reset, failures to feed, a few failures on ejection, etc. All of which didn't surprise me on a new gun. Especially one this tight fit. The following 300 rounds I sent through it, including my LRN hand loads, not so much as a hiccup. I've got about 100 left in that batch of hand loads and I'll press out 200 more. Once I hit 550 rounds, I'll be in my comfort zone with reliability.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got my Dan Wesson Valor for $1399 brand new from Buds. I did my homework and determined it was the best "off the shelf" 1911 you can buy.

In the first 50 rounds I had 10 malfunctions. 5 of which were in the first magazine. Trigger wouldn't reset, failures to feed, a few failures on ejection, etc. All of which didn't surprise me on a new gun. Especially one this tight fit. The following 300 rounds I sent through it, including my LRN hand loads, not so much as a hiccup. I've got about 100 left in that batch of hand loads and I'll press out 200 more. Once I hit 550 rounds, I'll be in my comfort zone with reliability.

I would like to own a Valor. Just never ponied up the money to get one. I try and stay 1K and under as I "Always" gut them and spend time/money in Brownells to refill them.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    meh.

i switched to a glock after yrs of shooting 1911s/2011s and berettas. took about 5 minutes of dryfire to work out the index (the POS trigger, on the other hand, is an on-going battle). it's not that "it doesn't work for everyone" it's that people are resistant to change and don't want to work it out. if your primary focus is aligning the sights and calling the shot, grip angle just becomes a non-issue. first time I ran the glock in a match under a timer I didn't even notice "grip angle." I still switch back and forth from time to time, and it's never an issue.

people who started out shooting glocks think their great. folks with lots of experience on other guns think the glocks "dont work for them". I doubt there's some underlying law of nature that led folks w/ one type of muscular/skeletal biology to buy glocks and folks w/ other biology to buy 1911s.

unless there really is something in the genetics.... glock guys: :nuts:

-rvb

I shoot the glock as well as my Springer or Taurus. I just don't LIKE shooting the glock as much as my Springer.

As for perceived recoil.... the compact Taurus in .45 hurts after a couple hundred rounds and I don't have girly wrists. I think the weight of the 1911 helps the recoil. To me if felt equal to the Glock in 9 we were shooting.

If you're going to tear one apart to build, why spend the extra money on the TRP? The Loaded has all the basic features for much less. I absolutely LOVE mine.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would like to own a Valor. Just never ponied up the money to get one. I try and stay 1K and under as I "Always" gut them and spend time/money in Brownells to refill them.

The reason I went with the Valor and not the SR1911 was because to make the SR1911 what I wanted, I'd be pushing 1600 or more total with all the aftermarket. The Valor needs nothing... except a few extra magazines. There is very little room for improvement. I'm getting to the point that I'd rather buy what I want than something I have to spend more to make it what I want.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reason I went with the Valor and not the SR1911 was because to make the SR1911 what I wanted, I'd be pushing 1600 or more total with all the aftermarket. The Valor needs nothing... except a few extra magazines. There is very little room for improvement. I'm getting to the point that I'd rather buy what I want than something I have to spend more to make it what I want.

It makes sense.
    I am able to do all the upgrades myself. It saves money, expands my skill sets, I know exactly what is in the gun, provides me with a zen like atmosphere in my shop.
    Mentioned up-thread as to why get a TRP and put parts in it.......I did. Because I could and now it is a jewel. It was a tad better than my out of the box loaded before it was up-graded. Side by side the TRP was not up with the re-fit tuned up Loaded so the TRP was laid open on the bench. Now it is one of the best guns I have.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Some people like building up their own. All personal preference. See it a lot in the AR crowd. The one piece that you said that is a bit different than the norm is that it saves you money. Typically, the sum of the parts is more than a factory build.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Why not own both? :dunno: Both are great guns. Of course perhaps budget plays into that but if budget is the issue wouldn't you just get a Glock?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

This is pretty much exactly why I recently went with the stainless V-Bob. It was everything I wanted, including the bobbed frame. Beautiful, clean, no big lettering or logos on the slide, night sights, phenomenal fit/finish... it's truly gorgeous machining inside and out. Until I promptly put a partial idiot scratch in it, that is (no worries, I know I can have Allen M give her a new dress!). Ugh. But so far, I have not had a lick of buyer's remorse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people like building up their own. All personal preference. See it a lot in the AR crowd. The one piece that you said that is a bit different than the norm is that it saves you money. Typically, the sum of the parts is more than a factory build.

Money saved is in labor. You can wrap up some hours in one.
    A good ignition group and a decent barrel will push $400.
    Add grips/mag well and assorted pretty's you are pushing $600.
    It is a preference.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had made fun of 1911's before I became buds with churchmouse. Then I bought a churchmouse custom built 1911. It's one of the most reliable guns I've ever, EVER shot boys!! I've tried to trick it into malfunctioning because well if your life is relying on a gun you better know it will work 100% or as damn close as we can get!! **** always will happen. That's why we train.
    i have what some call the "trigger finger" which means I can get on it pretty fast. And I don't baby them. I've ran the shot out of this 1911 and it's flawless! Yes I'd put it next to a glock for at least 1k rounds. In a combat environment you'd never even get close to that many rounds.
    churchmouse has converted this young gun!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Money saved is in labor. You can wrap up some hours in one.
    A good ignition group and a decent barrel will push $400.
    Add grips/mag well and assorted pretty's you are pushing $600.
    It is a preference.
    That's what I'm saying with the math. Add that $1000 to the price of the base gun and you're pushing the price of some damn fine factory pieces.... without the time investment. The difference maker is if you like doing it. I would equate it to pressing out your own rounds. Guys like me who shoot maybe 1500-2000 rounds a year, don't have a lot of savings if you consider the price of the tooling. But it's not work to me, I somewhat enjoy it. I'm sure if I had the tools, I'd probably enjoy customizing 1911s too. But I need another hobby like I need another hole in the head.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's what I'm saying with the math. Add that $1000 to the price of the base gun and you're pushing the price of some damn fine factory pieces.... without the time investment. The difference maker is if you like doing it. I would equate it to pressing out your own rounds. Guys like me who shoot maybe 1500-2000 rounds a year, don't have a lot of savings if you consider the price of the tooling. But it's not work to me, I somewhat enjoy it. I'm sure if I had the tools, I'd probably enjoy customizing 1911s too. But I need another hobby like I need another hole in the head.

The math does make sense to many who are not as ate up with this as I am.
    When I sold the race cars/Harley's and then retired I had to fill the void. The tooling is expensive. Only buy the bits if you intend to stay involved.
    Last year we ran 7,500 rds of 45 ACP. Not a lot to some. A whole bunch to others.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Money on builds can be tricky. 30 some years ago, I wanted a new stainless .45 for a "Race Gun" I also lacked the tools and knowlege to take on the task myself.
    Bought a New Springfield. Sent to Cylinder an Slide to get a beavertail safety and a mag funnel. Shot it a little while, sent it to Clarks Custom to get a trigger job with upgraded parts. Then I sent it again to get a Bomar adjustable sight. Then I sent it to Dick Heinie to get a compensator barrel fit. The New barrel was so much more accurate than the springfield barrel, I sent it back again to have a regular match barrel fitted. By the time I was done, I had about $2400 in it. Accurate, dependable, all the wiz bang features. Too much money in it. I should have bought a Les Baer Premier II right out of the box, they were less than $1400 those days. Since then I have purchased a few jigs and learned to do my own work. I also learned not to start with a plain jane if that is not what you want. For whatever reason I wanted a 9mm, 1911. I bought a range officer, it had everything I was looking for right out of the box. It was really good. I slit the main spring and polished up a tool steel sear, just because that is how I roll, not because the factory gun was bad. WAY cheaper in the long run.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Either a Glock or a 1911 can be built to run with near perfect reliability. The fact that it is reliable has nothing to do with whether it has "Glock" or "M1911" stamped into it. Mass manufacturing thousands of them will inevitably reduce reliability significantly because holding tolerances is a BIYATCH when running high production rates. Bill Wilson figured out very quickly that the only way to build a totally reliable gun was to start machining your own slides and frames and barrels (to much tighter tolerances than Colt ever could). Much less fitting has to be done and everything lines up. Time is Money. If you are willing to accept mass production tolerances then you are going to have to live with the product. You might get a good one. Or not. Back in 1994 I could not afford to buy a new Les Baer 1911. But I learned to build and tune one from an oversized Baer frame and slide and barrel that would run through 1000 rounds in a day with quality ammo and never choke. With good parts it's really not that difficult. It's just a machine. If you follow the blueprint - it will run.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom