Are there any 1911's that are as reliable as a Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    For that one particular? Or all TRP's in General?

TRPs in general. At the 1300 price point, they should have better internals. The OEM factory MIM stuff is functional enough, but doesn't belong in 1300+ gun. STI or Dan Wesson would be a better value.

And I think having TACTICAL engraved on the dustcover is super cheesy.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Try to buy a used TRP. I bought mine well used for $1100. I have 700-800 rounds through it with nary a hiccup. In my opinion it is the perfect 1911. More gun than I actually need in terms of fit/finish/accuracy (Springer Loaded models are just fine), but not too crazy expensive enough for me to have heart palpitations when I paid for it. Also, due to the price and it being used and already having wear...I don't feel bad running the snot out of it. If you want a light rail check out the new all black MC Operator. Sick gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had a couple of TRPs that I picked up for 1K including my bull barrel.
    So what it says Tactical. Hard to see it anyway. I do prefer a slab side 1911 but they start at a higher price point.
    Never paid over $1100 for a used one and it was un-fired.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    churchmouse usually has one or two...everything he owns is for sale or will be soon anyway.

See...

So what it says Tactical. Hard to see it anyway. I do prefer a slab side 1911 but they start at a higher price point.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't imagine that. In over 40 years of shooting them I don't think I've shot one handgun 10K times.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

At 1000-1100 they're a good buy. After that, I demand tool steel internals.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    ... and more people are killed by .22lr than any other round. And I'd rather have a hit with a .22lr than a miss with a .45acp. And nobody ever volunteers to come and let me shoot them with my .22lr.

Back on topic, in the $1000-$1500 range mentioned, CM gave the correct answer, the TRP. Full size. Steel. Also, the two most problematic pistols I've ever owned were both glocks, and before you all scream "glock hater", I still have several and carry them frequently.

GLOCK HATER!! haha

You carrying any gun is hyperbole anyway. You are like Chuck Norris or Jack Bauer except big and strong. Like Arnold but younger and with skills.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Glock has two 17s in the museum in Austria that they say have 750,000 documented rounds through them.

And a dedicated landfill for all the guns that didn't make it anywhere near that far.

Anyone else see a Nurse Ratched thing going on with Mrs. Glock? It is in the eyes in the early stages.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    1911's are complicated.

Yes, they are. That's a large part of the issue, there are so many and such range of quality that it make it difficult to decide.

I have seen Les Baers under $1500 used. That or a $1000ish TRP sound like a good buy to me. I've heard many good things about the TRP.

I prefer a 2011 over a 1911 if I was to get another gun in the 1911 style, that's what I carry, has the style of a 1911 with more capacity. The grip isn't any wider either just shaped differently. My officer sized 2011 is thinner in the grip and lighter with 13 rds of .40 than my RIA officer with 7rds of .45. The 2011 is a lot more expensive though.

All of this from a Glock guy, it is possible to like and use both;-)

Here's mine for reference
    two guns.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    One more reason and for me it is at the top of the list. I love to modify a 1911. I buy them for the specific reason of modifying. It is to me very enjoyable and I learn more with everyone I do. Find a sweet G-I with exceptional frame to slide fit and gut it. Start from scratch and make it your own. I love it.

Sorry to be slow on the response, I've been away from internet... But I think I can get behind this reason. I guess I buy a Glock and the biggest delima I have are sights and a holster for it. And thats easy! However, with things like AR's I love to buy parts and piece one together kind of like you're talking about here. So I do understand the draw, its just an extension of the passion.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Finally caught up on the thread, and Cedartop I desire to be on that level and do so without guilt of the money I'd spend haha
    I was really happy shooting like 5 cases a year, I can't imagine shooting 10 to 20! Well I can, but I can't see it happening and shooting rifles and everything else as much as I'd like to also.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Doesn't the Grip Force Adapter help 1911 shooters shoot a Glock better?

They do to some degree. The GFA pushes the barrel of a Glock down a bit just as the extended MSH on a 1911 pushes the barrel up a bit. If you are a practiced Glockaholic, try a 1911 with the large MSH. It may point better for you than one that has the flat MSH.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Finally caught up on the thread, and Cedartop I desire to be on that level and do so without guilt of the money I'd spend haha
    I was really happy shooting like 5 cases a year, I can't imagine shooting 10 to 20! Well I can, but I can't see it happening and shooting rifles and everything else as much as I'd like to also.

Trust me, come tax time I feel guilty because that is when the wife finds out how many thousands I spent for the year on ammo. At least it is a deductible expense. The only problem is that I should be much better considering how much I shoot.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Trust me, come tax time I feel guilty because that is when the wife finds out how many thousands I spent for the year on ammo. At least it is a deductible expense. The only problem is that I should be much better considering how much I shoot.

Shouldn't we all!

After 30k last year, it feels like I should be much better than I am. Fortunately it's cheaper when you roll your own.

I don't feel guilty about it though, in part because I don't spend money on guns that I'm not going to shoot all that much. I'd rather own 2 and shoot 30k a year than own 10 and only shoot 2-3k a year.

Top Bottom