Are Libertarians Racist? Salon thinks so.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position.
    -Abraham Lincoln, Racist

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll say it one more time, since you can't help yourself parroting your Dem agitprop: Why do you have this mistaken belief that racists can't possibly die out and instead magically transmogrify as those wascally wabbit demonic Republicans?
    Racists never die, apparently.
    Who knew?

Where have I ever said that? Today's Republican party doesn't hold a candle (concerning racism), to pre-Civil Rights Act Democrats. Most of those racists are indeed, dead. That still does not change the fact that a great many racist Democrats became Republicans in the immediate years after the Civil Rights Act. That's not a theory, that's a fact.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Where have I ever said that? Today's Republican party doesn't hold a candle (concerning racism), to pre-Civil Rights Act Democrats. Most of those racists are indeed, dead. That still does not change the fact that a great many racist Democrats became Republicans in the immediate years after the Civil Rights Act. That's not a theory, that's a fact.

Very true. The most glaring example I can think of is Strom Thurmond. He was a democrat until 1964 and then switched to the Republican Party. He has the record of longest filibuster, a little over 24 hours, over the CRA of 1957. The people of South Carolina were so appalled by being represented in the senate by a racist segregationist that they elected him 8 times. He had never renounced his views before he died in the early 2000's.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Very true. The most glaring example I can think of is Strom Thurmond. He was a democrat until 1964 and then switched to the Republican Party. He has the record of longest filibuster, a little over 24 hours, over the CRA of 1957. The people of South Carolina were so appalled by being represented in the senate by a racist segregationist that they elected him 8 times. He had never renounced his views before he died in the early 2000's.

And what's even crazier, is that he has a black daughter that was kept secret until after his death. Not even joking.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I agree completely with the first line, although quite a few Libertarians like him. He is and self identifies as a Repub. I don't think I've ever seen a quote where he calls himself a Libertarian.

The second line not so much, it is possible for a Libertarian to oppose gay marriage. And I can give you a couple of reasons why. First is to get govt out of marriage as much as possible, the second is Libertarians believe in equality for all. And no I don't mean equal actions result in equal outcomes( it doesn't). Or everyone should share everything and be equal). Gays (and any other sexual identity groups including heterosexual) have the exact same regulations as all. Only one man and one woman may be able to be married. Myself I like the idea of Heinlein's of a line marriage, I have mentioned it before to a group of liberals and you wouldn't (well maybe you would) believe the amount of hate I received. Or polygamous marriage. If deviating from the "norm" for one group is okay, why isn't it okay for the rest?

Yes perhaps, but by how much of a majority? Here is a link for whites who profess a racist tendency.
    Are White Republicans More Racist Than White Democrats? | FiveThirtyEight
    But then figure in the minorities who are Repub and Dem. Most Blacks vote dem and those I've dealt with have tended to be racist, Hispanics not quite as much dem, but racisit? Hell yeah.

I used to post on a very liberal blog a while back, and yes even small l libertarians were considered racists.

Nope but a lot of people will consider it true. What's that old saying, if you tell a lie often enough.....

I stand on my statement.

The core belief of Libertarianism is that an individual has a right to do anything he wants to do provided he does not harm others.

Marriage between people of the same sex harms no one. Libertarianism and opposition to gay marriage are mutually exclusive.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I stand on my statement.

The core belief of Libertarianism is that an individual has a right to do anything he wants to do provided he does not harm others.

Marriage between people of the same sex harms no one. Libertarianism and opposition to gay marriage are mutually exclusive.

The question is: does forcing a person of faith to perform a religious ceremony (marriage) to which no one has a "right" cause spiritual and/or psychological harm to the person being forced to do so? And IF so, is it not reasonable for the State to protect the person of faith by not forcing them to perform a service which they find goes against the tenets of their faith?

Regards,

Doug

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland

The question is: does forcing a person of faith to perform a religious ceremony (marriage) to which no one has a "right" cause spiritual and/or psychological harm to the person being forced to do so? And IF so, is it not reasonable for the State to protect the person of faith by not forcing them to perform a service which they find goes against the tenets of their faith?

Regards,

Doug

​That is a separate issue.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

Can you list these supposed racists from the Democrat party that switched over to the Republican party immediately AFTER the CRA was passed?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I need to learn to use purple....:)

As Kirk has said before..."It's about property ry-hyrats". (I forget how he spells "rights" but is is perfect) and as you said, where things get a little sticky is when we realize the property they were referring to were other human beings....(Kirk is not afraid to point that out which obviously gets under the skin of the Johnny Reb/Lincoln haters on the forum...)

As you state, certain things are debatable, but the underlying "serpent under the feet of the Founders" was slavery....I do believe however, that a large number of Southerners did not fight to keep slavery alive but to defend what they saw as aggression from an invading army...The fact that the landed gentry (slave owners) did everything they could to fire up the locals into believing that does not negate the fact that there was an army of blue marching through their land...

When I was a kid I would hear some of my older family members from down in Kentucky say "It's hotter than Billy Blue Blazes today"........I didn't realize at the time what the phrase meant...They were referring to the heat put off of the farms burned in Kentucky by the Union army...Now keep in mind the members of my family saying this were all die hard Scots-Irish, Pro Union, Republican since Lincoln, AND from Western Kentucky...The cradle of what passed for the Confederacy in Kentucky......

They just felt those rich slave owning English Blue Bloods were getting what they deserved......

Well said, sir. The Landed Gentry sat back and let the common man fight their wars just like....... just like they still do today.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As fun as it is for me to hear you say obnoxiously stupid ****, don't you ever get embarrassed by your lack of knowledge?

Lol, I think it's you that should probably be embarrassed. I suggest you do some reading using keywords like "Barry Goldwater," "Southern Strategy," "Kevin Phillips." I'm going to go out on a limb ad say you probably don't have a clue who Lee A****er is, so if you have the time to read today something how about you get yourself learned up a bit on him. Don't fault me for your pervasive ignorance on the subject.
    If you have something to contribute that proves me wrong, which apparently nobody does (other than saying "you're wrong,") then post it up. Lol. Not that I'm really confident you'll put together a cohesive argument, but I can hope.... and I like to laugh too, so post it up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Can you list these supposed racists from the Democrat party that switched over to the Republican party immediately AFTER the CRA was passed?

None of them would have admitted it, with the exception of a very few. You'd do well to listen to words of Lee A****er, as he explains it. I'm interested, how do you explain the how the Republicans starting in 1964, were able to win so many Southern states, which prior to that time had solidly been Democrat? That's a fair question, isn't it.

Perhaps because I'm Southern I recognize this; as this should be common knowledge to any Southerner. Are there any born, rasied, and educated Southerners here? I can tell you matter of factly, that my family switched parties from Republican to Democrat in the 60s due to the Civil Right, and were uneasy about do so in the first place. They incorrectly believed that the South had turned a corner, but of course they were wrong, as local govts slowly began to switch to Republican.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Can't believe I have to give a dang history class:

Things you should understand. The Solid South references how the Southern States voted as a bloc due to a belief in shared interests.

Election:

-1952 Ike (R), Stevens (D). Ike wins, Stevenson carries Solid South (AL, LA, MS, GA, FL, SC, NC, AR)
    -1956 Ike (R), Stevens (D). Ike wins, Stevenson again carries Solid South (AL, MS, GA, SC, NC, AR)
    -1960 JFK (D), Nixon (R), Harry Byrd (Independent D). JFK wins, carries (NC, SC, GA, AR, LA, 1/2 AL). Byrd who ran on a segregationist platform carried (MS, and 1/2 AL), Democrats carry Solid South.
    -Johnson takes over for an assassinated JFK (1963)
    -Civil Rights Act passed (July 1964)
    1964 Election Johnson (D), Goldwater (R) - Adopts Southern Strategy. Johnson wins BUT Goldwater carries the Solid South (AL, LA, MS, GA, SC), the first "R" to do so since Reconstruction.

So what exactly changed, politically, in those 4 years that created this massive, almost overnight, switch? And no, it's not the Great Society, that came afterwards.

But wait, let's not stop there, let's go to the 68 election
    -1968 Nixon (R), Humphreys (D), Wallace (I). Nixon wins, and surely with the adoption of Goldwater's strategy, he would have carried the Solid South too, right? WRONG. Wallace, then a well known racist and segregationist (he reformed later in life), carried the Solid South (AL, MS, GA, AR, LA). So what makes Wallace a more attractive candidate than Nixon? Nixon ran on the same platform as Goldwater, and Nixon's strategist (Kevin Phillips---- are you listening JS1911) made the strategy popular. What overriding appeal did Wallace have over Nixon, which allowed him to carry the Solid South? If you're scratching your head trying to figure that one out, your American History teacher failed you.

Anyways, I spelled this out in the simplest terms I could. It still might be a difficult concept to grasp (not pointing any fingers), but if you can't understand it well.... well, I guess there's a reason our schools our failing our children, as it apparently failed their parents too.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for the history lesson Mr. Hand.

jtz1kh9lg4rbglrk.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Warning, unpleasant language, not to mention totally inconvenient to the whole "But, but, but racist Southern Democrats transmogrified into racist Republicans":

[video=youtube;PnO6ai0Ktro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO6ai0Ktro[/video]

[video=youtube;DGDm4jkDbGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGDm4jkDbGQ[/video]

[video=youtube;f7Q1I6PIIuY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Q1I6PIIuY[/video]

And Kutnupe and Al MrJarrell just lap up whatever they're told to think about this one.

Top Bottom