• ...and so much more!
  • can a gun be considered a toy?

• Total voters

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Toys? Absolutely not. I like the saw anaology. I want to expand on it and share my thoughts.

I don't like the term "toy." I DO like the term "tool." There is an apparent lack of discipline and respect associated with with the word "toy" IMO. You don't hand a toddler a hammer. You can give them a toy. You CAN teach a (more grown up) child how to use a hammer. You can teach that kid to respect the hammer, so as to not use it in a manner other than its intended purpose. As the child grows and matures, so will their repsect and skill with the hammer. A child plays with a toy, whereas he or she can be taught to USE a hammer.

I don't have kids. I do have young nieces and nephews. I draw a hardline with how I represent firearms around them; I don't glorify or downplay their uses. I instead teach respect. I do take them out and teach them safety, respect, and how to shoot firearms every chance I get. While it is a ton of fun, we never use the word "play." It's always education.

This is a great discussion, IMO. Let's keep it going. We as firearm owners have a responsibility to teach; to hand down our Right to our children. This is done through education and respect. While you and I, as adults, understand what we mean by "toy," it's not the word we need to use when leading by example.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I Consider mine BIG BOY's Toys. Only to be used under adult supervision.

^^^this

I buy a tool to do a job. I buy toys to have fun with.

It was a whole lot cheaper to amuse myself when I was six. Yes, most of my guns are toys........ Until the hordes of undead show up to eat my spleen. Then, I guess they'll be tools.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I tend to call them toys even though they obviously are not, but that is mainly because every time i am buying a new firearm i am as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas morning, even more so if i am picking one up i have had in lay-away for a while. however when around other "non" firearm type people i do not use the term "toy" who might take it out of context. i understand its a tool, but for me the only one i may actually get any real use out of ( and i pray it never happens) is my EDC, all my others are for fun since i dont absolutely have to have them.

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My opinion as I was taught from my childhood and into my service in the USMC. A gun is never a toy, it is a weapon, period. It should always be treated as a weapon capable of causing grievous bodily harm and death.
    Although I have used guns extensively in recreation they have always remained a weapon in my mind. Just as a knife and a bow and arrow are considered and treated with the respect a weapon deserves.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Toys...

To me guns are either weapons or equipment used in shooting hobbies.

^^^^This, for me^^^^

I just started with pistols and rifles in January 2012, so I am a Newbie.
    Sometimes I take my weapons (rifles and pistol) to the range to shoot at paper targets. Really, I don't even call my pellet and BB guns 'toys'.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I voted no but I could go either way. The gun I carry every day for my protection I don't consider a toy. The gun I take to the range to go plinking and have fun with I could consider a toy.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    Guns are toys to an extent. Just like some modes of transportation, they are machines that can provide entertainment. But remember that using any kind of machinery, there are risks for endangerment.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Big boys have big toys. It's no different than my 4x4, my ATV, treestands. All have safety precautions that need to be followed, and are as dangerous in there own way.

I'm going with YES.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    OP, when you write your article, or other news report, i hope you consider the caveats presented with a lot of the yes votes, i voted no. I have been taught my whole life, "guns are NOT toys, you don't play with them, or dick around with them, they can kill, and need to be treated with respect." We wern't allowed to point cap guns at each other when i was around my grandfather, the only "gun" we could point at a person was a squirt gun, that's it no ifs, ands or buts, unless we were defending ourselves.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Toys?

No way are guns a toy they are a tool like a hammer or saw if you miss use it bad things will happen. Do you have fun at a range yes but the reason for being at a range is to sharpen your skill on the use of a tool. I hope that I will never have to use this tool for its purpose but it is better to have it and not need it or need it and not have it.

Sonney

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    negative

Toys are for children, when you become a man you put away childish things. Squirt gun...toy. Glock 19....not toy. Would you give a 5 year old girl a Glock 19 to play with?

I can see the term being used in so far as it's a play on the fact that the gun in question is not a defense or hunting weapon and is being used purely for sport, target shooting, skeet, etc... But I don't think that knocks it down to a toy in a real sense of the word. So "look at my new toy" really means, "look I got a new gun, what do you think?" It doesn't mean "Let's go play cowboys and indians, I'm going to be cowboys." (or for any Europeans on the forum "Lets go play Axis and Allies, I get to be American you'll be a Japanese soldier with a Katana!") (or for Que, "Hey lets play Que vs. Yeager, I'll be Que with a 1911, you be Yeager with a big mouth and a shoulder twitch" (and I'm not a Yeager hater, I'm a battle royal instigator!))

just my :twocents:

Top Bottom