• ...and so much more!
  • can a gun be considered a toy?

• Total voters

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I would like to see the opinion of the board members here as to whether or not they consider any of their guns "toys"

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    I voted yes but with reservations. While not a toy in the traditional sense, guns provide enjoyment and can serve a fun purpose. Now, would I put my guns on par with my PS3? No. Would I put them on par with my circular saw? Yes. While I’ll refer to them as toys on occasion, a great deal of care and respect is present when a gun or circular saw is in use.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I voted yes but with reservations. While not a toy in the traditional sense, guns provide enjoyment and can serve a fun purpose. Now, would I put my guns on par with my PS3? No. Would I put them on par with my circular saw? Yes. While I’ll refer to them as toys on occasion, a great deal of care and respect is present when a gun or circular saw is in use.

YES, THIS ..... :twocents: :yesway:

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012

why would you say this? I know lots of people consider their fast muscle cars toys, shouldn't a gun be thought of the same way? A cars main purpose is for transportation but you can sure have a lot of fun in a fast one going nowhere.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yes, they are adult toys. WAIT.... WUT? They are definitely not toys to be played with, but are not really necessities in most cases. I'm just digging myself deeper here. :rolleyes:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Some of my guns are toys, some are tools!
    Much like my atv, or my motorcycle, which is a toy that I have much respect for, and that if I don't treat it with respect, can hurt or kill myself and/or someone else!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Two different questions were asked. First, you ask if guns are toys, then you ask if they can be a toy. I voted yes, they can be toys. If asked the way the titles of the thread states it, then I would have voted no, since they are not all toys.

To me, a toy is something that has no practical use, yet makes you happy to own and operate it. By that definition, half of my guns are toys. They will never be used except to punch holes in paper and they will make me happy doing that. Do I have a practical purpose for an M38 Mosin? Not as long as I have other rifles that do the same thing better. If all of those fall off that dang boat too, then the M38 will stop being a toy. Until then, it's purpose is to make me happy.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN

Mine have safeties and a foolproof backstop. I'd call that a non-traditional seat-belt. No disrespect here, to each his own, however.

gotojuston has 11 posts since joining in July of 2010, and he drops two rep-worthy posts in one thread. Someone is hitting their stride... :ingo:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I agree 100%.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN

This and some more than others. My daily carry Kimbers not so much my multiple AR's, AK's, KSG, etc. for sure. While they would be great in a time of need they are like my truck do I need 700hp in a diesel daily driver no but it's fun as hell.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Toy?
    NO.
    I'm not a child anymore. Can they be a whole hell of a lot of fun.
    OF COURSE. SURE. A gallon of gas and a big pile of logs can be fun too. Not toys.
    A toy, by definition is for play. I don't play with my gun. I have fun hiking and birding, but my boots, camera and field glasses aren't toys.

Maybe it's just semantics.
    Oh well. Who cares.

Thought provoking post though. Now we know who plays with their guns.

This is my rifle
    this is my gun ..... ;)

Top Bottom