• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I've got a GSG 1911-22 that I'm going to use at the Ladies Steel Demo and was trying it out this evening. It seems to be very picky on it's ammo choices. I've tried Remmington and Winchester through it and it hates the Winchester, and is only so so on the Remmington.

Anybody out there have a GSG 1911-22? What type of ammo do you run through yours?

The reason I ask is this isn't my gun and I don't want to buy a ton of ammo it doesn't like and get stuck with it. Can't ask the owner because it's a brand new gun and so he doens't know either.

Thanks in advance for the helpful suggestions. :yesway:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My GSG1911-22 has more than 15,000 rounds fired and runs about as flawlessly as a semi-auto rimfire could be expected to run. When clean, a well broken-in GSG1911 should chew through even bulk pack ammo without too much drama. If the GSG1911 is run dirty or with a fouled chamber, you can expect a few failures to eject, extract or feed. There just isn't a lot of energy in the .22 cal cartridge, and it does well to cycle most semi-auto firearms when they are in pristine condition.

The ammo I use most is the Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-Mart... It has the best track record in my GSG1911 of all the bulk ammo I've tried.

My advise is to clean your new GSG1911 often, and expect a few feed or ejection issues until it is well broken-in.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    If it's brand new, try high velocity stuff. It needs to be broken in. I would just buy some CCI Mini-Mag from Walmart. It's a pretty good standard.
    Mine works great with Federal Bulk pack, but had a little trouble for the first 200 rds.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Run CCI minimags for a few hundred rounds of break in. then it should not be as picky. you can also try to find high velocity 40 grain stuff which will help creat a bit more back pressure.

I will be the RO at the ladies demo and would be more than happy to take a look at it and see if any polishing on kep parts might be called for to help increase reliability. I will even bring my tool box, dremel, and flitz

Octomonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Markle
    My friend just got one and it is kinda picky on ammo. It prefers CCI Mini-Mags right now, but it could be because it is still tight and needing broken in.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've got a GSG 1911-22 that I'm going to use at the Ladies Steel Demo and was trying it out this evening. It seems to be very picky on it's ammo choices. I've tried Remmington and Winchester through it and it hates the Winchester, and is only so so on the Remmington.

Anybody out there have a GSG 1911-22? What type of ammo do you run through yours?

The reason I ask is this isn't my gun and I don't want to buy a ton of ammo it doesn't like and get stuck with it. Can't ask the owner because it's a brand new gun and so he doens't know either.

Mine loves CCI Mini-mags and Federal Bulk Pack

it's a fun gun to shoot! :ar15:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

If it's anything like the GSG-5, it won't like Remington bulk, but then again what does? :dunno: When in doubt, run Wolf Match. :rockwoot:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have a Sig 1911-22, (same gun) it does probably 90-95% with remingturd golden bullet bulk, 97-98% with winchester bulk, and 99% with federal bulk. Once I run 200 or 250 through it, it gets dirty enough that it wants to FTE and FTF a little more often.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Mine eats everything I throw at it. It gets a little picky when there is a supressor on it, but without one it has no real issues besides 1-2 bad rounds every thousand or so.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Run CCI minimags for a few hundred rounds of break in. then it should not be as picky. you can also try to find high velocity 40 grain stuff which will help creat a bit more back pressure.

I will be the RO at the ladies demo and would be more than happy to take a look at it and see if any polishing on kep parts might be called for to help increase reliability. I will even bring my tool box, dremel, and flitz

I appreciate the offer to look at it, but like I said in the OP, it's not my gun, so I don't think I will ask you to do any work on it. My main problem has been FTF. I'm going to pick up some different ammo this week and see how that works. It might just need some breaking in. I'd love to use it next weekend, but it only has one mag and I don't know if that will be enough/practical for the situation.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Mine ate through a federal bulk pack and was working on it's second before I had the first stove pipe. Cleaned it, and have had no problems. I guess mine needs cleaned about every 750 or so.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I took mine to the range last weekend and had severe problems with FTF. I have 800 rounds through it and not a problem. I took it completely apart hoping to find something wrond and no dice. I was trying to shoot Federal bulk. Going to to mini maga again this weekend and see if that helps

bluto67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    mine loves the mini-mags, does really good with the federal bulk even though some were underpowered and just barely ejected. they looked more like they just sort of rolled off the side. will use winchecter bulk if federal is sold out and never the remington garbage. my rimfire rifles don't even like that stuff

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    I've had mine since March. Use mini-mags to break it in--about 500 rds. Since break in I have run several thousand rds of Blazer with out any problems. Did the same with my GSG522 with the same results. Great fun guns:rockwoot:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If it's brand new, try high velocity stuff. It needs to be broken in. I would just buy some CCI Mini-Mag

Run CCI minimags for a few hundred rounds of break in.

What they said ^. A couple boxes of mini-mags and run those rails wet.
    After that, you should be good to go with just about anything else.
    Stay away from Remington Thunderbolts, though. Dirty cruddy ammo with spotty primer in the rim...it's a crap shoot whether your pin will fall on an area with primer or not! Plus, you'll lead up a lot faster with that junk.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    CCI Standard Velocity. Stays subsonic and functions every time. I might have a FTF or FTE every couple hundred rounds. Not bad for a weapon that gets heavily abused.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Just bought a GSG 1911 .22. I'll take it to the range this week. Stocked up on CCI mini-mags per the advice here. I'll report back on the results. Bradis had the best deal on the CCI's So if you are in their area stop in to BradisII. Great guys.
    Anyone change their grips on the GSG 1911? I have the rail gun with Faux suppressor.
    Anyone have any experience with a real suppressor? Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    JT

Top Bottom