• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    On my AR, I went with the Aimpoint PRO. I have no regrets with this decision.

StagM2WithXDmWeb_zps5252a05b.jpg

THIS ^ ! Buy once , cry once .

I went through a few crap optics before I finally got the PRO .

OP , if you go to Elmore's down in Greenwood you can see all the optics you want side by side and decide then .

usp45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Also,

Don't let this hang you...

" The battery life is the issue with Eotech's"

I shoot A LOT.
    I load my own, made quite a set back stock of Ammunition.
    I'm no jerry michulec (spelling!?)
    but in the shooting i have done, Eotech battery life has never been an issue.

it just gets a mention because of the popular thing to do is leave the optic on all the time. Aimpoints and Eotechs are both excellent optics. to me it comes down to the reticle that works best for you. there are lots of govt. employed people using both, pick yours and have fun.

someone mentioned the RMR. how is that battery wise? that is the next on my list for pistol use. I was going to buy one but got the G33 instead.

gun pic.....

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It has quite a decent battery life, just not as long as an Aimpoint. Just like my car has good gas mileage, but it's no hybrid :).

That said, I'm not going out to swap my non-hybrid for a hybrid anytime soon to save myself gas mileage :).

If the EOTech is what you want, get it - it's not a bad sight.

it just gets a mention because of the popular thing to do is leave the optic on all the time. Aimpoints and Eotechs are both excellent optics. to me it comes down to the reticle that works best for you. there are lots of govt. employed people using both, pick yours and have fun.
    Would you leave your EOTech online 24/7/365 and rely upon it to be on, visible, and working for you in a pinch? If so - that's good :).

I just know if somebody was breaking into my house the last thing I would want to be doing is fumbling with buttons trying to turn the sight on and then dealing with it if the batteries were dead.

someone mentioned the RMR. how is that battery wise? that is the next on my list for pistol use. I was going to buy one but got the G33 instead.
    The non-adjustable RMR is rated at approximately 2 years of 'normal use.'

The adjustable versions [RM06 and RM07] batteries should last four years of continual use at brightness setting #4. When left on at the brightest setting (brightness setting #8), the battery should last around 25 days.

Aimpoint says "Typical 80.000 hours, over 8 years of continous (day and night) use at pos. 12 of 16" for the Comp M4/s. I'm not sure which brightness "12 of 16" is but if I had to speculate it has 7 night vision settings and 9 day-settings. The night are first [nobody wants to have to cycle through visible dots to get to NV dots in a combat environment] so setting 12 is the 5th brightness out of 9 visible levels.

That said - you very well may need a higher brightness setting on the Aimpoint which will cut down on the battery life numbers [obviously] just as it does with the EOTech and the RMR. That said, the biggest thing the Aimpoint has going for it [the one I ordered] is that it takes standard AA batteries and gets decent life out of them when using a quality battery such as a lithium.

Last edited:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Also,

Don't let this hang you...

I shoot A LOT.
    I load my own, made quite a set back stock of Ammunition.
    I'm no jerry michulec (spelling!?)
    but in the shooting i have done, Eotech battery life has never been an issue.

gun pic.....

agree 100%... If I was in the middle of a war zone it may be a issue, but here at home & at the range it's a non issue. I have other weapons in my house and on my person to combat self defense, and when I'm using my iron sights I don't the thing on anyway..

So.. for me it's a non issue unless you in the military in the middle of a war zone.

@ups45 nice pic on the red dot.. my camera couldn't focus on it. :yesway:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    agree 100%... If I was in the middle of a war zone it may be a issue, but here at home & at the range it's a non issue. I have other weapons in my house and on my person to combat self defense, and when I'm using my iron sights I don't the thing on anyway..

So.. for me it's a non issue unless you in the military in the middle of a war zone.

@ups45 nice pic on the red dot.. my camera couldn't focus on it. :yesway:
    At the end of the day it just depends on how you plan on using it :). I would venture to argue that if you weren't going to trust your life to it - then there's no sense in going with EOTech or Aimpoint - you can get something cheaper that will work just fine.

usp45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    thanks guys,
    I hate posting on eo's vs aim because it can get hinky.

the RMR I looked at, dont remember the number, i was told it was off untill it was raised to shoot and sometime after it switched off.

I didnt verify that.

the battery runtimes posted here are pretty wide ranging. I guess it wont matter. I'm waiting till i get an FNX 45 TAC , THEN I'll get an RMR.

then my arm will hurt from all the loading I'll have to do to feed the thing.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I just know if somebody was breaking into my house the last thing I would want to be doing is fumbling with buttons trying to turn the sight on and then dealing with it if the batteries were dead.

I certainly would not be grabbing my AR if someone was breaking into my house. I would be grabbing my handgun w/light or a shotgun. Now if I only owned an AR then it would be a different story. If the batteries were dead on either optic, then that is why you have BUIS. That is just my :twocents:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Being able to leave the optic on in a predetermined setting is a must for a home defense rifle. The EOTech will turn itself off after several hours and require you to turn it back on and adjust brightness. For a home defense rifle, you are better off with irons than an optic that isn't immediately ready to go.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I certainly would not be grabbing my AR if someone was breaking into my house. I would be grabbing my handgun w/light or a shotgun. Now if I only owned an AR then it would be a different story. If the batteries were dead on either optic, then that is why you have BUIS. That is just my :twocents:
    The BUIS are great if your optic fails, but I wouldn't get an optic that won't do what I need it to do just because I have the BUIS.

That's like buying crappy tires because you have an awesome spare tire. It's best to get a good set of tires and only rely upon the spare if you need to.

Being able to leave the optic on in a predetermined setting is a must for a home defense rifle. The EOTech will turn itself off after several hours and require you to turn it back on and adjust brightness. For a home defense rifle, you are better off with irons than an optic that isn't immediately ready to go.
    I wasn't aware the EOTech would turn itself off but I was aware that it wasn't a good sight for home-defense just because the battery life could leave it unreliable for home defense. Powering off automatically, imho, is the nail in the coffin for me on a home defense weapon.

Again, if you're taking it to the range or just having fun than any optic will work, even bottom-of-the-barrel super-cheap knock-off optics. If you're going to trust your life to it [i.e. home defense weapon, SHTF weapon] then you want to go with a quality optic that will be there when you need it dependably without having to turn it on or replace batteries [well, as little as possible obviously].

My AR is a home defense weapon, so it gets an Aimpoint. If it were just a range toy, EOTech would be a cheaper option.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This thread is getting funny. :laugh:

Things I've learned in this thread.
    1.) Aimpoints are cool, Eotechs are not.
    2.) Aimpoints stay on longer than you will live, on a single battery.
    3.) Eotechs can not be used for home defense, because its impossible to shoot a bad guy while remembering to push a single button after opening a safe, getting out a weapon, and disengaging a safety.
    4.) Eotechs shouldn't be used on a home defense weapon, because everyone knows its impossible to hit a man size target 10feet away standing in a 36inch doorway without a optic that stays on forever.
    5.) Typical home defense firefight must last 9 hours. Eotechs only stay on for 8, therefore, SUCK!

Apply purple if you need it. Lots of fanboys in here, don't want to hurt any feelings.:dunno:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Something else to learn...

If you can not shoot at a target and hit in the kill zone @ 10 yards with out a sight you should take old Joe's advice and..... Buy a shotgun..

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Something else to learn...

If you can not shoot at a target and hit in the kill zone @ 10 yards with out a sight you should take old Joe's advice and..... Buy a shotgun..

+1^^
    That's pretty much my point. :laugh::laugh:

They are both excellent optics, they are just different.

Here's the "holy grail" of answers, get both, and buy another rifle. Enjoy whatever you get and train with it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Aimpoint PRO and you won't regret your decision. Longer battery life than EOtech, 5x longer warranty than EOtech (2 year vs 10 year), always on. Don't think that an EOtech is better because of the AA batteries.

The PRO takes a 2L76 battery which I have found at my local Menards in Lebanon and the Lowes in Zionsville.

Also the PRO has a 2 moa dot. Most rifles or shooters won't shoot better than 2 moa at 100 yards anyways.

Edit: or even the cr123 haha. The 2L76 is an easy find.

Last edited:

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Aimpoint PRO and you won't regret your decision. Longer battery life than EOtech, 5x longer warranty than EOtech (2 year vs 10 year), always on. Don't think that an EOtech is better because of the AA batteries.

The PRO takes a 2L76 battery which I have found at my local Menards in Lebanon and the Lowes in Zionsville.

Also the PRO has a 2 moa dot. Most rifles or shooters won't shoot better than 2 moa at 100 yards anyways.

Psst... he's looking at the EXPS which takes the 123 battery.. :laugh:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Eotechs can not be used for home defense, because its impossible to shoot a bad guy while remembering to push a single button after opening a safe, getting out a weapon, and disengaging a safety.

Except it's not pushing just one button. Pushing just one button will turn the reticle on to a middle setting, which will get washed out by your weapon mounted light. So, i guess you could sit there in your closet playing with the settings while your child is screaming down the hall. Don't forget to take a minute to put on your chest rig, put on your electronic hearing protection and do all those other things people think they will have the time to do.

Like I said before, if you don't want to use an optic that is ready to go the second you grab the rifle, just invest in a set of night sights.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    No offense to anyone that has an AR for the sole purpose of home defense... but all the points you all are making either apply to the battlefield or a defensive situation. IMO, unless you live on a freaking farm, why the heck would you use a high powered rifle for home defense? Horrible decision in my book. Collateral damage is much higher.
    A decent full sized handgun with a blinding 100+ lumen light or a pistol grip shotty with some 00 buck will be much better.

If you buy a $300+ sight battery life is at the bottom of my list. Clarity, zero hold, and features are what appeal to me.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    1.) Aimpoints are cool, Eotechs are not.
    True.

2.) Aimpoints stay on longer than you will live, on a single battery.
    Only true if you have an abnormally short life.

3.) Eotechs can not be used for home defense, because its impossible to shoot a bad guy while remembering to push a single button after opening a safe, getting out a weapon, and disengaging a safety.
    Sweeping off the safety is something that should be muscle memory and can be done without taking your hand off of your firing grip. Switching on an EOTech is not a similar procedure :).

I, for one, don't want to be pushing buttons if I can avoid it. Assuming I'm not stressed to the point of being clumsy, it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

4.) Eotechs shouldn't be used on a home defense weapon, because everyone knows its impossible to hit a man size target 10feet away standing in a 36inch doorway without a optic that stays on forever.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That said - I'd rather have a red dot that's on that I don't use than one that I do need that isn't on :).

I guess we're all assuming we live in houses with rooms no larger on their longest side than 10'? I probably could hit a man sized target from across my living room without using a dot or iron sights but the down-side of missing could be bullets flying into my neighbor's house. Here's hoping that under stress I'm accurate enough not to miss but having an optic that's quick and easy to use with minimal room for error would certainly help.

5.) Typical home defense firefight must last 9 hours. Eotechs only stay on for 8, therefore, SUCK!
    The issue isn't that one thinks it will go dead mid-battle, but that it needs to be something you can depend upon it being on and working. If the battery life was only 1 hour, for example, there's a good chance you forget to turn it off and it's dead when you really need it. If it turns itself off, there's a good chance you have issues turning it on under stress such as switching it to a night-vision mode and thinking it's dead [for models with NV Mode, not all have it]. There are certainly other issues one could run into manipulating buttons while under the stress of having to defend ones' self, family, and home.

Apply purple if you need it. Lots of fanboys in here, don't want to hurt any feelings.:dunno:
    Same thing goes for me - apply purple if you feel it necessary.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either sight but would prefer, personally, the one I can leave on and expect to be working if I need to grab it in the middle of the night :).

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    No offense to anyone that has an AR for the sole purpose of home defense... but all the points you all are making either apply to the battlefield or a defensive situation. IMO, unless you live on a freaking farm, why the heck would you use a high powered rifle for home defense? Horrible decision in my book. Collateral damage is much higher.
    A decent full sized handgun with a blinding 100+ lumen light or a pistol grip shotty with some 00 buck will be much better.

If you buy a $300+ sight battery life is at the bottom of my list. Clarity, zero hold, and features are what appeal to me.

Properly selected 223 ammunition has less penetration through structures than either a pistol or 00 buckshot. High capacity, low recoil, easy to use. It's really the perfect home defense gun for barricading in place.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Do some research please.

Top Bottom