• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, already have an ar15 that I like and is all put together. Bushmaster lower and DPMS 16" upper. But, I am getting a lower parts kit, a stripped lower, and a MAGPUL CTR stock as part of a trade. Now the question is, do I keep my current AR or just go the route of building one from scratch. My friend is building one from scratch so I know his opinion, but I'm not sure what route I want to take. I hear its a lot of fun and I would enjoy it, but not sure if I have the time to put in the effort of getting all the parts together and building it since I already have one put together. Thoughts?

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    If I sell my other ar then I can have the funds to build this one :). I am somewhat interested but it seems like it will be a decent amount of work to get all the parts together.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    So you are getting a complete lower in a trade, and wondering if you should sell your other complete rifle, in order to buy an upper for the lower that you are getting in a trade?

I say just buy another upper and be done with it (or build the upper, which ever you want to do). Then you have two rifles.

It's not like you will be out of a rifle while you wait to gather funds for the second upper. An you can always swap the upper back and forth if the lowers are that different. I have two lowers I do that with because one has a two stage trigger and the other lower has a single stage.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Keep it. Eventually you'll accumulate enough parts to build another rifle. I still remember that magical day when I was looking through my gun parts and safe and realized I could build another rifle.:D

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Its not a complete lower. It is a stripped lower, lower parts kit, and a ctr Magpul stock. I would be somewhat interested to build one, but not sure I want to not have a full ar for a while to get the parts together to build another one. I don't want/need a second ar, the only point here is keep the one i have or sell it to build a new one from scratch as a project? Lol my wife would not want me to have another AR.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Its not a complete lower. It is a stripped lower, lower parts kit, and a ctr Magpul stock. I would be somewhat interested to build one, but not sure I want to not have a full ar for a while to get the parts together to build another one. I don't want/need a second ar, the only point here is keep the one i have or sell it to build a new one from scratch as a project? Lol my wife would not want me to have another AR.

I'm really confused, couple of questions.

Are you trading your current, complete rifle for the lower, parts kit, and stock?
    How would you be without a rifle in the scenario I outlined above?
    What are you trading for the lower/parts/stock?

Also, there is really only three components necessary to build a complete lower:
    1) stripped lower receiver
    2) lower parts kit
    3) a stock

So I guess I am failing to see how you aren't going to have a complete lower after you make the trade. Perhaps we are looking at it from different angles, you are seeing a bunch of parts, whereas I am seeing all the parts necessary to build a lower. It's really not that difficult. I assembled my first lowered in about 1.5 hrs, and I had no idea what I was doing. It's not like building a lower is going to take you days to do.

Last edited:

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    No I'm trading an airsoft gun for the items. Also, the stock is just the stock. He said it does not include the buffer spring? Whatever else goes in the stock. Sorry again I'm new to building ars. I would need the cash from selling my other ar to fund this project so I am trying to decide if I should sell my complete ar to buy the parts. To finish building this one with the parts I'm getting Plus whatever other parts I need.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Whoa, whoa, whooooa. Stop right there. You need another, you just don't know it yet. :D

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    You should be able to find the buffer tube, buffer, and spring here on the classifieds. I would keep the rifle you have and build the other. If one AR is your ONLY option, and you want something different then what you already have then build a new one.

Dave

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    My own personal policy is, never trade a gun unless you just don't like it or made a mistake in buying it. I would either sell the new parts or just build the second rifle up over time. When all is said and done, it's almost a given you'll be glad you spent the time on it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    EBR are really pack animals. They don't live well in a safe all by themselves. They need friends.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Lol I have a winchester 94 30-30 and rem 700 in 308. He won't be lonely

But those are guns in fancy dress that make the liberals feel safe. You really need more than one miscreant to scare the sheeple with the military look. :D

How about you build a .22 LR upper on it and can explain the cost to the wife in the ammo savings for practice? :dunno:

Top Bottom