• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    The only rifle I've ever owned is a J.C. Higgins Model 25 .22 caliber. Made by Sears years ago.

I see much talk about AR15s and most of you are talking about building them. Should I build or buy? If I build, where can I find a list of parts I'll need so I can start buying them one by one?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Unless you want some kind of a special configuration you can't get off the shelf or are just down for an educational project, conventional wisdom says to buy the first and build the rest.

That said, I've built every one I've ever owned.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Unless you want some kind of a special configuration you can't get off the shelf or are just down for an educational project, conventional wisdom says to buy the first and build the rest.

That said, I've built every one I've ever owned.
    I really need a project. Something I can call my own.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How do I even begin?

First, consider what configuration you want to build. SBR? Carbine? 20" Rifle? Accurized varmint gun? Wildcat caliber (.458, .50Beo, etc)? Pistol caliber? Dedicated .22LR?

Then, buy a stripped lower receiver from your favorite FFL dealer. Since it bears the serial number, that is what's considered by ATF to be the "firearm". Then, start amassing the rest of the parts - INGO has a number of Site Advertisers who can help you with all of this.

Finally, make plans to attend the next INGO AR Build Party and slap that bad boy together! Or strike out on your own with instructions found on the internet, or maybe the assistance of a fellow INGO member or two.

If you have additional questions, holler!

Which is the cheapest route?

All things being equal, buying off the rack is generally cheaper, but building is often more cost-effective, as you will only be paying for the exact parts you want/need, can assure your own QC, and can spread the total cost out over time.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    First, consider what configuration you want to build. SBR? Carbine? 20" Rifle? Accurized varmint gun? Wildcat caliber (.458, .50Beo, etc)? Pistol caliber? Dedicated .22LR?

Then, buy a stripped lower receiver from your favorite FFL dealer. Since it bears the serial number, that is what's considered by ATF to be the "firearm". Then, start amassing the rest of the parts - INGO has a number of Site Advertisers who can help you with all of this.

Finally, make plans to attend the next INGO AR Build Party and slap that bad boy together! Or strike out on your own with instructions found on the internet, or maybe the assistance of a fellow INGO member or two.

If you have additional questions, holler!

All things being equal, buying off the rack is generally cheaper, but building is often more cost-effective, as you will only be paying for the exact parts you want/need, can assure your own QC, and can spread the total cost out over time.
    Huge reps to you! I will build and I will post pictures as I go!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Huge reps to you! I will build and I will post pictures as I go!

+1 on your decision. I really wish I would have went that route. Back when I got mine, I never had heard of this site and was not aware of all the info out there on how to do it. I am happy with what I got, but that feeling of having done it all myself is just not there. Next one will be a build ! :)

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just built my second a couple weeks ago. I ordered the Stag stripped lower from Beech Grove firearms and then ordered the Stag rifle kit (the entire gun (minus stripped lower) plus a back up sight) from AR15sales.com. The kit came in about 2 weeks.

Total= ~$730.00

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Just built my second a couple weeks ago. I ordered the Stag stripped lower from Beech Grove firearms and then ordered the Stag rifle kit (the entire gun (minus stripped lower) plus a back up sight) from AR15sales.com. The kit came in about 2 weeks.

Total= ~$730.00
    Is Stag a brand? How much did the lower cost from Beech Grove? I live pretty much down the street from BGF.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    5.56 It shoots great. Iron sights were spot on from the factory (50 yard zero with 5.56). I already have 5.56 ammo/dies/brass/bullets/powder/magazines so I decided to stay with that caliber...you know, to stay "economical" ;)

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    How much would this same firearm configuration have cost if you would have ordered it already assembled from Stag Arms? Do they let you customize their weapons like DPMS?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How much would this same firearm configuration have cost if you would have ordered it already assembled from Stag Arms?

You can order direct via Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing, but you'll pay MSRP (as opposed to "street" price), plus your local dealer's receiving fee.

Do they let you customize their weapons like DPMS?

There does not appear to be any facility to allow that on the Stag website.

More than $730.00...

I really dont know. I would say just call up a local gun store and ask their price.

Plain vanilla Stag carbines run in the low to mid $800s locally, IIRC.

Top Bottom