• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How hard is one to build? Do all the parts just go nicely in place or do you have to be an engineer to figure it out?

I suppose it depends on how "handy" you are. You dont need any special tools really.

On AR15.com under the "build it yourself" section it shows step by step how to assemble a lower yourself. All you need is some punches, a hammer, a flat head screwdriver, and a wrench for the buttstock. But I didnt really need to special fit (m)any pieces...exept the bolt carrier stop...that darn roll pin was just a bit too big. I just sanded the tip down a bit to get it started and it tapped right in. (thanks be to Wolfman for using his punches on that piece!)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How hard is one to build?

Putting the parts into the lower receiver is duck soup; you can do it by yourself with instructions downloaded off the 'net and a few simple hand tools (though having the right tools for the job will reduce the time required and minimize the headaches). Typically it takes me about a half hour to assemble a lower. I've done a bunch, but I tend to err on the side of going slow and getting it right.

Barreling an upper receiver is more involved and requires more specialty tools, which is why many/most guys who "build" ARs just assemble the lowers and buy their uppers pre-built.

Do all the parts just go nicely in place

:):

Theoretically they should, but you learn very quickly there can be lots of small variances from manufacturer to manufacturer and even parts batch to parts batch. Sometimes this is not a big deal; other times the variances can compound and make assembly a real PITA.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I want an AR15 very bad. And after reading this thread, this is the route I want to go. Build my own. I think it would be a lot of fun.
    Shooter, which manufacturers do you like the best? And why did you choose the calibers that you have?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Shooter, which manufacturers do you like the best?

For what? Lower receivers: Pick whoever's logo you like best, or whatever you can get for a decent price. As long as the holes are the right size and in the right place, the rest is cosmetic. I've personally built on Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Stag, Olympic, Spikes and Noveske, and haven't had any issues to speak of. I have had problems with Superior and Roggio Arsenal.

As for lower parts kits, barrels, accessories, etc? Hoo-boy, that could be a whole other thread...

And why did you choose the calibers that you have?

5.56. Duh! It's what the gun was designed for! ;)

9mm. To allow less expensive practice and to shoot at ranges that don't allow "high powered rifles," without stepping down to a .22. Also makes a FINE suppressor host. :D

I also have a .22 conversion kit that will run in any of my 5.56 guns. I have little to no interest in other chamberings, personally.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For what? Lower receivers: Pick whoever's logo you like best, or whatever you can get for a decent price. As long as the holes are the right size and in the right place, the rest is cosmetic. I've personally built on Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Stag, Olympic, Spikes and Noveske, and haven't had any issues to speak of. I have had problems with Superior and Roggio Arsenal.

As for lower parts kits, barrels, accessories, etc? Hoo-boy, that could be a whole other thread...

5.56. Duh! It's what the gun was designed for! ;)

9mm. To allow less expensive practice and to shoot at ranges that don't allow "high powered rifles," without stepping down to a .22. Also makes a FINE suppressor host. :D

I also have a .22 conversion kit that will run in any of my 5.56 guns. I have little to no interest in other chamberings, personally.

What's this .22 conversion kit. Is that what it sounds? You can shoot .22lr with a 5.56?

I really didn't realize theres a lot to this. I didn't think it was going to be this complicated!

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    AR's are like Legos. Piece of cake to assemble. I built my first one when I was 17.

Built 3 more after that. The absolute easiest way to do it is to find a kit that you like from J&T Sales or Del-Ton and buy a stripped lower. Every part you need (other than the lower itself, and mags) will show up in the kit.

Assemble the lower, pin the upper on, shoot, enjoy.

I go by WIZZO_ARAKM14 on AR15.com

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A suggestion...rather than buying all the trigger parts and then trying to tune then for a good trigger (very hard if you don't know what you are doing) I would buy a McCormick or Timney complete trigger assembly. These simply drop in eliminating half a dozen parts. A good trigger will enhance your ability to shoot the rifle accurately more than most other components will.

CHIP MCCORMICK : Tactical Trigger Group (207-000-017) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

AR-15 Competition

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    If money is no concern, I would build your first project and keep it your average ar15 or m4 style ar15. Pick a flat top upper, as it will give you greater flexibility. The lower is easy to put together. I would suggest putting that together first. There are many how to's on the internet and following the simple instructions you can have the lower build in just a few hours. You can even order customized lower recievers that have special engraving.

As for the upper? Well that takes more tools and more time. If you can find someone who is willing to help you put an upper together, then great, do that. Otherwise you can find prebuilt uppers on many websites or you can order through your local gun store.

You can build your lower and buy the upper and it will still be your project rifle, and in the future if you decide to tackle it, you can build a new upper.

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with an ar15. Very flexible platform. Can do CQB or medium/long range and can fire quite a few different calibers just by swapping out the upper reciever. Best of luck!

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've been working with and building the AR15 rifle for over 20 years now.
    It's my opinion (which is worth what you've paid for it) that building an AR can be the most rewarding task that you can experience. Especially when the owner is a professional who's life depends on it.

This is what I recommend when building an AR.

1. Buy the best parts that you can afford. (If you can afford junk... that's what you will build). Research is your friend!
    2. Have the proper armorers tools on hand. (barrel nuts look like crap if you use a pipe wrench to tighten them).
    3. Don't get too anal about making mistakes on your first try. There are many of us out here who are happy to assist you if you hit the wall, and remember we were all noobs at some point.
    4. Just enjoy the experience.

TGR

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I would use a multi-caliber lower so you can put any caliber upper on it without your buddies saying "Hey dude, I thought you said this was a 9mm...the side says 223":)::)::): I would recomend spikes tactical for that because you can get lowers that aren't all decked out with markings for a cheaper price! I recommend YHM free float handguards as well due to easy installation and looks. If you need a yhm barrel nut wrench...just let me know...I have 1 you can use:)
    And last but not least....Put it together on a smooth white floor so you can find the little springs when they drop on the floor:):

ANd if you think you might go the SBR route...THEN NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT!!! I am working in reverse as we speak:xmad::wallbash:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom