• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    That's old school for sure. Isn't that typically one of the mark of a lower tier AR?

THat's what I thought as well. Seeing that with the Wilson Combat name on it makes me wonder.
    I know that S&W sporter rifle, and a similar offering from DPMS (the newer sportical perhaps) also do not have a forward assist.
    I would prefer to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. Up until now (with my previous AR), I have never needed it to fully seat the round, but it would be nice in a dirty gun or for assurance that bolt is fully forward. Just my $.02

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I keep everything pretty clean these days so it's not much of an issue, but back in my 11B youth, I can't remember using the forward assist once (other than training), even with a filthy weapon (both an A1, later an A2) with live ammo OR blanks (which are notoriously dirty and underpowered). That being said, in a life or death situation, why not have one?

:rolleyes:

Because it doesn't look as cool, man! If it doesn't look cool, what's the point? :cool:

sbz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    indiana
    Had a dpms sportical without the forward assist. Gun was light, and shot great. Cheap too, but the oracle is usually only 20$ more or so no reason not to grab it.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The ARs I have all have forward assist. With that said I am building one that has no forward assist or dust cover. It will be a paper puncher and I wanted the higher scope mount. So the upper frame didn't come with that stuff.

I was talking with my son about it and he said that you don't have a dust cover on a bolt gun. You should be fine. He also pointed out that the only time he used the forward assist the case blew up damaging the rifle. It was as if it fired out of battery. That happened here at the house. I wasn't shooting with him, his wife was. No one got hurt. Thank god. The rifle was sent back to the maker and was repaired. It took them close to 9 months to get it back to him.

I don't see the need for a forward assist or dist cover on a range rifle. If the round don't seat you can always clear the round and try again. If it persists you have a problem with the rifle or rounds. On a defensive AR I think I want both. The dust cover will do its job and the forward assist could help seat a round in an emergency.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    well if the gun stops im going to charge it again anyways never seen the point of it even then just push the charging handle forward, dust cover though? good idea.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    How will pushing on the charging handle help? It only catches the bolt pulling on it. It has no push forward. In less you have one that had the charging handle sticking off the bolt carrier.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    How will pushing on the charging handle help? It only catches the bolt pulling on it. It has no push forward. In less you have one that had the charging handle sticking off the bolt carrier.
    i dont know honestly ive never owned a AR15 i imagined it worked both ways and if i was going to buy one i always wanted a side charging model( i know im odd).

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    No, nothing odd about them. I like them too. On a standard AR the charging handle only pulls the bolt carrier back. The forward motion of the charging handle releases the bolt carrier. So you can't push with it. If you could it would come back when the rifle fired and hit you in the face.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother has one of the Sporter S&W ARs an its never been needed but just for what most of us do with the rifles... i.e take rifle to the range, shoot rifle, take rifle home, clean rifle, put rifle back in safe. Its not really needed I don't think. But like anything else in life if you want it get it ;)

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    No, nothing odd about them. I like them too. On a standard AR the charging handle only pulls the bolt carrier back. The forward motion of the charging handle releases the bolt carrier. So you can't push with it. If you could it would come back when the rifle fired and hit you in the face.
    ya that wouldn't work, well i still think that a if theres a jam that round needs to go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used my forward assist, but in conditions I'm unlikely to ever face in Indiana (unless global warming REALLY kicks it up a notch). For a range toy or target gun? Sure, no problem. For a fighting gun? I see absolutely no downside to having a FA, but I see a downside in not having one.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    But do you really ever know when a target gun or varmit gun might need to become something more when shtf? For the price difference and piece of mind all mine have the forward assist.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've never used the FA to beat the bolt closed, but it's been needed more times than I can count to get that last little fraction of movement to get one of these rifles into battery and operational. Dumping its gas system right into the feed system as it does, the FA is, IMHO, a most needful addition. With any luck, I'll never again use an AR in a hostile encounter of any kind but if I do, you can bet the farm it'll have a forward assist upper. I can't see any advantage to NOT having one aside from saving an ounce (?) of weight and an inch of protrusion, neither of which have ever caused me a moment's concern.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Eleven years of use in the Army, several years civilian use I've never had to use mine. On the other hand, it's there if I ever do need it. Why not?

Top Bottom