• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If you can't take halfmileharry up on his offer, take me up on mine, or better yet, do both. I live in Noblesville, and would be happy to take you to a range and let you shoot my rifles. Both are home builds, one using a surplus Colt M-16A1 parts kit, the other an SPR clone using a hodgepodge of parts. It would give you a chance to see what some home builds are like compared to factory guns. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Does your $2k include optics, mags, and ammo? Or is $2k just for the rifle?

Sounds like you'll be fine with a Colt/BCM/LMT/DD. Pick the one that best fits your budget and go shoot the snot out of it.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @seedubs1 well if I can get a gun at the $1500 "range" or less I'd buy ammo and or mags, the optic I'd really love to get a trijicon yes they cost a lot but I'm sure you shooters will agree it's a great optic,

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Burt, if you are on a budget, $2K for an AR is way more than I would recommend spending. AR's are good running rifles and you don't need to invest that much to get one. I have built several and though my "precision" rig cost me around $1200 to build, I would put it up against anything out there and I would trust my life on a battlefield if I had to.

I also have a couple of lower cost builds(around $600) that again I would trust my life with.

I would do as other's here have said, spend less on the rifle, get some good sights of some sort, ammo, take a few courses and go shoot!

As far as having to sell it one day, the higher quality name brand stuff tends to sell better for a higher price but when you start getting up to $2K AR's I would think your market would shrink considerably.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    Lots of great information on this thread. My two cents, I'm biased toward LMT. I've worked with Karl and his team and their focus is producing a quality product. He is an engineer who is passionate about producing quality. That said I also have a Daniel Defense MK18 that I love (don't tell Karl) but as many have stated here, there are plenty of great choices and I agree that I would not go back to the shop you went to, just not great advice at all from them.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    @gmcttr use is personal protection, range time (training) , doomsday gun, hunting if I ever get a chance,

If you can only ever have one, make it count. I think you're doing it right.

You can get a good deal on some nice quality ones out there that will run forever. I've abused my LMT and my Noveske's and they just run. I have a few friends that have similar experience with POF, Black Rain Ordnance, and BCM.

Just keep doing your research that you are doing and also look at them in hand. You'll find something you're happy with as long as you don't get in a hurry.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @Onebadv8 oh god don't say black rain lol iv drooled over them haha thanks I'll keep looking and hopefully buy or build my gun I'm leaning towards building a bcm or buying a danila defense iv heard good about both

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    @Onebadv8 oh god don't say black rain lol iv drooled over them haha thanks I'll keep looking and hopefully buy or build my gun I'm leaning towards building a bcm or buying a danila defense iv heard good about both

https://blackrainordnance.com/products/bro-spec15-blt-carbine?variant=31195418499

Might not be a high dollar Black Rain, but still probably an extremely solid rifle and if you've looked at them in the past, then maybe you can get your feet wet with this one

Edit, damn, got swooped by V8 while typing

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the money isn't such a big deal as long as I get a high quality gun,

well if that's what you told the salesman, no wonder he swung for the fences...

use is personal protection, range time (training) , doomsday gun, hunting if I ever get a chance,

BCM upper for ~$800.
    Add a lower from about anybody for ~$200 (maybe a little more depending on what trigger you go with).

it will be rock solid for you for you, your kids, your kids' kids, and so on.

$2k 5.56 ARs are ridiculous. I don't think I've put more than ~$1300 into any AR, even my best ones built when prices were high(granted, I've built them all from parts). I'll put them up against any $2k AR any day of the week. You say your income is limited, don't waste it, IMO... use the difference for optics, ammo, and more ammo.

:twocents:

-rvb

Last edited:

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Omg that is awesome lol, unfortunately it's out of stock but now hopefully I have options I can do a bcm build black rain, or just buy a danila defense, need to go fondly some hardware

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Well I haven't been fired yet (confidence boost) thanks, I already have a small sum in my savings, and I would like to own my own AR like everyone else b4 some stupid law takes them away,

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If $ is tight, a RRA or PSA etc WILL work just as well for you as anything else. I've got a gun that I built, my first, that's all RRA parts + a BM barrel.... thousands and thousands of rounds through that gun. been cleaned maybe 1/2 dozen times. OK you might want some more confidence if going to war in the QC BCM/DD/etc provides, but for your first gun you won't notice the difference between a $500 AR and a $2k AR. Get a PSA/RRA/etc. Order the upper/lower halves separate which is usually cheaper. Learn to shoot it and when you know what you really do like/dislike in the gun, upgrade.

To really make a budget stretch, buy 1k rounds of brass-cased ammo, and then a press and start reloading once you're through that. I'm reloading 55s for something like $170/thousand on brass I already had (don't recall exactly w/o doing the math).

You'll still have several hundred left over after buying rifle, 1k ammo, and a press.

-rvb

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    You have been given sage advice again. Buy a good $500-$700 AR-15 from a reputable manufacturer, a case or 3 of ammo, some decent glass and learn how to use it. I am not trying to be mean or ridicule you, but an AR in that price range will shoot better than you are capable of at this point. Learn how to use the platform, and master the basic marksmanship fundamentals. Then graduate to better equipment tailored to meet your needs.

Or buy what you think you want/need now, and learn the expensive way.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yep, I'll say it too. Absolutely no reason to buy a $2k AR unless you just have money like that to burn. There are plenty of people on here who can do more with a $600 AR than a lot of us could do with one that costs $2k.

Also, I truly believe the AR prices will keep dropping. High dollar guns have already been selling poorly for years. No matter what you buy it'll be yours unless you're willing to take a substantial loss.

Just for example, $2k will buy me two uppers and BUIS for two SBR's I need to complete and finish out a dedicated 9mm lower SBR build and I'd have money left over.

Top Bottom