• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Guys Im thinking of possibly starting an AR pistol build ( to possibly turn into a SBR after a stamp purchase) to go along with my SPR build. Just kind of stuck on what caliber, either .223/5.56 or 9mm. For those of you guys with AR pistols what kind of pros or cons do think as far as which components an calibers? What have you built an with what? Thanks fellas!

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    If you want a fun plinker, build one in 22lr! No ugly buffer tube or gas system to mess around with...

Here's 2 that I've built so far. One's a 5" and the other is 7".

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Those are pretty neat! But I do want one to fill the void of a shorter AR in my collection an to eventually turn into an SBR. But your right Im sure those would be a ton of fun to plink around with.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    If you're a hunter at all, a great option to also look into would be building an AR pistol in 300 blackout. I just finished one up and it's fantastic. I've already got the stamp for a .223/556 SBR as well. Mine was a complete mix of parts with only the upper being compete. I also highly recommend the Sigtac pistol brace. If you haven't heard of it, I definitely recommend looking into them. It can easily still be shouldered up without having to deal with the stamp. Just an option for you. 300 blackout is also a lot of fun to run suppressed! If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I have a 9mm pistol and I keep looking at the arm brace but I don't think ill be happy till I have real stock on it.

So if I can stop making random firearm purchases im gonna do a trust and then I'll need to build a 11.5 5.56 as well.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I was thinking of using a 10" barrel an going with one of the Sig arm braces for the time being. Has anyone used the arm brace yet?

I just built a 8" AR pistol in .300 with the Sig Brace. I really like it. I have 2 sbr's already, and the brace makes what I think is a useless firearm into something completely different.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just built a 8" AR pistol in .300 with the Sig Brace. I really like it. I have 2 sbr's already, and the brace makes what I think is a useless firearm into something completely different.

Never tried the arm brace, but I agree that an AR pistol is useless. (other than being fun to shoot) I built my SBR as a pistol first while I was waiting on my stamp. Fun to blast away with, but not practical at all. I made a pistol out of a fresh lower, just to not waste the parts, as I had two uppers. Probably gonna sell the one I built with a 9.5 in Armstech upper. Don't want to, it's the upper I used in Iraq, but only the 7.5 in fits in my cool little Storm case. Maybe I will try an arm brace someday on it. Side note: My 7.5 in SBR runs very well despite what I've read on the really short ones. The cool factor of having that Storm case under the bed hasn't begun to wear off yet either...

Oh, and as to the OP, both my SBR and my pistol are 5.56.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Never tried the arm brace, but I agree that an AR pistol is useless. (other than being fun to shoot) I built my SBR as a pistol first while I was waiting on my stamp. Fun to blast away with, but not practical at all. I made a pistol out of a fresh lower, just to not waste the parts, as I had two uppers. Probably gonna sell the one I built with a 9.5 in Armstech upper. Don't want to, it's the upper I used in Iraq, but only the 7.5 in fits in my cool little Storm case. Maybe I will try an arm brace someday on it. Side note: My 7.5 in SBR runs very well despite what I've read on the really short ones. The cool factor of having that Storm case under the bed hasn't begun to wear off yet either...

Oh, and as to the OP, both my SBR and my pistol are 5.56.

Useless? Yet again… I think not… 8.2" 300blk

94BDAE4F-D07B-4BF7-A015-69BDF5ED3ED4_zps0xps0m9v.jpg

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I put one together with an 11" barrel in 5.56. The longest range I have shot it on is 200 yards on a 20" steel target. I can hit it no problem with my aimpoint from prone.

I haven't tried a sig brace, but even without using an arm brace, I don't get why people trash all over AR pistols and call them useless. Stick the buffer tube into your shoulder and get to work. It might not give a great cheek weld for using iron sights or for shooting a magnified optic, but for my aimpoints, I put the tube to my shoulder, the dot on the target and squeeeze the trigger.

I don't have any experience with SBR's, but I don't know what I'm missing from not having a stock.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I just completed a pistol lower w/ SIG brace to serve as a permanent legal home for my 12.5" .300BLK upper. :) Now I don't have to keep swapping uppers on my registered SBR lower.

pistol_zpsc4b11d1a.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I guess its the consinsis that the Sig brace is good to go! I guess Ill be getting one of them. An I do like the idea of saving the cash on the stamp an using the brace ( more money for reloading components ;)). So I guess the next question is barrel length, Im thinking of going 10" sould I go shorter or a bit longer or would the 10" be good to go?....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well I guess its the consinsis that the Sig brace is good to go!

I'm really wanting to try an arm brace on my pistol now... You guys make me spend money.

It's important to get a good buffer tube on which to mount the SIG brace. I use and recommend the "Super SIG SB-15 pistol buffer tube" from KAK Industry LLC. It is designed specifically for use with the SIG brace; its larger diameter means a tighter fit for the brace (less rotation), and it features a built-in stop flange to keep the brace from sliding forward. Additionally, KAK offers a spacer kit consisting of metal rings of different sizes that can be inserted between the stop flange and the brace to create additional length. KAK is located in CA, but ships very quickly (3 days to my door here in Indy).

YMMV.

Top Bottom