• ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    10.3" and above, 556. 9"-7.5", 300BLK. Anything shorter, 9mm

I have been considering building an AR pistol. And originally I was thinking I would want a 9mm pistol, but now I am wondering. Is .300BLK worth getting into? I mean if it is just going to be a range toy is the cost of .300BLK ammo worth the investment?

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have been considering building an AR pistol. And originally I was thinking I would want a 9mm pistol, but now I am wondering. Is .300BLK worth getting into? I mean if it is just going to be a range toy is the cost of .300BLK ammo worth the investment?

I built mine (300 BLK suppressed pistol for HD around my property so not so much a range toy as a purpose built gun. For me it's too expensive to have just for fun, I'd get a 9mm or 5.56 for that. I'll get ammo to practice with but most of the time it'll be ready with some more expensive ammo for special occasions.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I built mine (300 BLK suppressed pistol for HD around my property so not so much a range toy as a purpose built gun. For me it's too expensive to have just for fun, I'd get a 9mm or 5.56 for that. I'll get ammo to practice with but most of the time it'll be ready with some more expensive ammo for special occasions.

Well that's kinda what I'm thinking. If it ever needs to take on the role of an HD gun I'd rather have something more "effective" than 9mm. And from what I have read 5.56 isn't so great out of a short barrel. But .300BLK was built for short barrel performance.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Here is a thought I just had. If I build or buy an AR pistol in 5.56 and later buy a .300BLK short barreled upper to use on the pistol lower, What would it mean if I had an AR that is already a rifle? Since I wouldn't be dumb enough to put the short barreled upper on my rifle lower would it matter? Or could that still be considered "intent to construct"?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Here is a thought I just had. If I build or buy an AR pistol in 5.56 and later buy a .300BLK short barreled upper to use on the pistol lower, What would it mean if I had an AR that is already a rifle? Since I wouldn't be dumb enough to put the short barreled upper on my rifle lower would it matter? Or could that still be considered "intent to construct"?

...from what I've come to understand, in Indiana, you can build a pistol from a lower as long as it was never classified as a rifle on you Form 4473. As long as the lower was classified as a reciever only, you should be G2G. I am not a lawyer. Someone please feel free to chime in and correct me of I'm wrong.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH

As long as you have a pistol or SBR lower you're fine. I asked the ATF this when I only had a rifle and an 8.2" barrel on the way. He said that I couldn't have those items together if I only had a rifle so I kept the barrel at a friends house until my pistol lower arrived.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    ...from what I've come to understand, in Indiana, you can build a pistol from a lower as long as it was never classified as a rifle on you Form 4473. As long as the lower was classified as a reciever only, you should be G2G. I am not a lawyer. Someone please feel free to chime in and correct me of I'm wrong.

As long as you have a pistol or SBR lower you're fine. I asked the ATF this when I only had a rifle and an 8.2" barrel on the way. He said that I couldn't have those items together if I only had a rifle so I kept the barrel at a friends house until my pistol lower arrived.

Thanks for the info! That helps a lot.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great info thanks fellas!

Just makes me want the Sig brace more an more. So I don't have to deal with all the ATF stuff. An SBR would be very cool but this seems to be the best way without getting into trouble. Which none of us want that!

dp665

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    I do not have a ar pistol yet. Wanting to do a build as well. I would say do not go sbr go with the brace. Then you can take it over state lines, and keep it loaded in your car. I went brace with my yugo pap m85 pistol and love it.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    What rails are those? Is your brace broken?

The brace isn't broken, I just rolled it inside itself to make it a bit smaller and the velcro strap holds it there.

The rail on the SBR is a 10" KMR over a 12.5" barrel. The pistol has a Seekins MCSR v2 that bolts directly to the Seekins upper; Seekins includes a barrel nut so it will also work with a standard upper. Barrel is 7.5" with a Noveske KX-5. FWIW, a KX-3 would fit under the MCSR... the KX-5 would fit under a KMR or Noveske NSR rail.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    The brace isn't broken, I just rolled it inside itself to make it a bit smaller and the velcro strap holds it there.

The rail on the SBR is a 10" KMR over a 12.5" barrel. The pistol has a Seekins MCSR v2 that bolts directly to the Seekins upper; Seekins includes a barrel nut so it will also work with a standard upper. Barrel is 7.5" with a Noveske KX-5. FWIW, a KX-3 would fit under the MCSR... the KX-5 would fit under a KMR or Noveske NSR rail.

i-know-some-of-these-words_20120529130516.jpg

In all seriousness, wouldn't rolling the brace keep it from doing what it was designed to do, effectively making it a stock?

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Depending on how you use it, I suppose it could. I shoot NTCH and the way I shoulder the weapon it doesn't have any negative effects for me. YMMV.

I would be afraid a ATF officer may see that as modifying your weapon in such a way that it would require a stamp. Even if no charges were made, it could still be a hassle if you met the wrong officer.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I would be afraid a ATF officer may see that as modifying your weapon in such a way that it would require a stamp. Even if no charges were made, it could still be a hassle if you met the wrong officer.

Running into the wrong ATF officer always be a hassle. I wouldn't think I'd be in any more trouble than using it "not" as designed; all the pieces are still there just not "as designed." I have copies of both ATF letters stashed in various locations that my pistols may be... may not help, but it can't hurt.

Top Bottom