• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I like the idea of the trijicon acog scope but have no where near the money to buy one. Is there anything out there that would be comparable functionality wise that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Another question ive had, Isnt the center triangle in the reticle of the acogs illuminated by tritium? If so, wont the strength of this wear out over time like the night sights on a pistol?

Thanks

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Try an Aimpoint PRO for $399. They are great 1x, and while not tritium, you can leave them on 24/7 for a few years without changing batteries. Good luck finding a military grade 4x scope anywhere near the cost of an Aimpoint. And let me know if you do. I'd really rather have an Elcan Specter DR (like an Aimpoint and Trijicon in one), but they are like $2,500.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Try an Aimpoint PRO for $399. They are great 1x, and while not tritium, you can leave them on 24/7 for a few years without changing batteries. Good luck finding a military grade 4x scope anywhere near the cost of an Aimpoint. And let me know if you do. I'd really rather have an Elcan Specter DR (like an Aimpoint and Trijicon in one), but they are like $2,500.

I know aimpoint is popular but im looking for something with a little magnification. I currently have an eotech on it, and even though its tacticool and a great optic, for whit i do its not practical. Hardly shoot the thing. looking for something with four power but still have the capabilities of a red dot or hollow sight. Or close anyways.

this is less than 1/2 the price, more versatial, and has the best warranty in the optics world. I have them in stock for 499

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Uncapped)

yes tritium will wear out over time, but it takes a while. if memory serves me tritium's 1/2 life is 12.3 years, so in 12.3 years it will be 1/2 as bright

Im starting to become a big fan of the vortex optics so ill check it out. Ive heard the acogs are supposed to be the cats meow if you will but i just cant justify spending that much money on something that will wear out, even if it is 12 yrs or so.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Vette, after trying to view rifle scopes and red dots on your web page, every time i select one of the two, all that comes up is binoculars. Am i doing something wrong?

Also on the viper pst, how is the field of view at close quarters? I would think that with the 24mm objective lense would really limit this.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vette, after trying to view rifle scopes and red dots on your web page, every time i select one of the two, all that comes up is binoculars. Am i doing something wrong?

Also on the viper pst, how is the field of view at close quarters? I would think that with the 24mm objective lense would really limit this.

My website is not up and running yet, apparentally web design is more than copy and paste.

For questions or ordering i rely on pm's, email (alan@aaoptics.com) or phone calls 765-580-0986.

The 1-4 pst is a true 1x on the bottom end. What that means is since there is no magnification on 1x (most 1-4 scopes are actually 1.1-1.3 on the bottom) you can shoot with both eyes open without inducing parralax. So basically you turn the illumination on and you have a 22moa red dot and you are scanning with both eyes open, if the battery dies you have a crosshair with a 22moa circle to aim with. But you have the option of cranking it up to 4x and doing what the acog does. If you close one eye on 1x ( I dont see why you would) then your field of view is limited to 98 feet at 100 yards wich is a pretty wide field of view

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    My website is not up and running yet, apparentally web design is more than copy and paste.

For questions or ordering i rely on pm's, email (alan@aaoptics.com) or phone calls 765-580-0986.

The 1-4 pst is a true 1x on the bottom end. What that means is since there is no magnification on 1x (most 1-4 scopes are actually 1.1-1.3 on the bottom) you can shoot with both eyes open without inducing parralax. So basically you turn the illumination on and you have a 22moa red dot and you are scanning with both eyes open, if the battery dies you have a crosshair with a 22moa circle to aim with. But you have the option of cranking it up to 4x and doing what the acog does. If you close one eye on 1x ( I dont see why you would) then your field of view is limited to 98 feet at 100 yards wich is a pretty wide field of view

Im sure its time consuming. I appreciate all the help on this topic as ive learned quite a bit just from the few answeres youve provided for my questions combined with a little research. It looks like this is an outstanding optic and good fit for what i need. Like i said before, i have an eotech currently mounted and im not really able to use the gun for much unless i found myself in a combat situation which i find highly unlikely. I would some day like to get into some 3 gun shoots and this optic sounds like i could still use it for this, and still use the combo for something like coyote hunting the other time. Do you have this scope in stock? I will have the funds in a couple of weeks and due to my impatience, i may drive over and pick one up if you have a store front.

Im thinking that i could mount my eotech on my hd shotgun. Any thoughts on this? Would it hold up?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im sure its time consuming. I appreciate all the help on this topic as ive learned quite a bit just from the few answeres youve provided for my questions combined with a little research. It looks like this is an outstanding optic and good fit for what i need. Like i said before, i have an eotech currently mounted and im not really able to use the gun for much unless i found myself in a combat situation which i find highly unlikely. I would some day like to get into some 3 gun shoots and this optic sounds like i could still use it for this, and still use the combo for something like coyote hunting the other time. Do you have this scope in stock? I will have the funds in a couple of weeks and due to my impatience, i may drive over and pick one up if you have a store front.

Im thinking that i could mount my eotech on my hd shotgun. Any thoughts on this? Would it hold up?

I think the eotech should be fine on a hd shotgun, my thoughts are at a hd shotguns ranges a optic really isnt helpful, but you already have it so its not like it will cost much if anything to try.

I do have the vortex 1-4 pst in stock in the exposed moa, and the capped moa. the exposed mil version is out of stock right now. Let me know when you plan to come down, or when you are ready. I dont have a 9-5 storefront, but i can typically make myself avaible for pickups, or ill ship it for free.

I also have tons of acessories, like flip caps, throwlevers, etc as well as alot of cantilever mounts if that would interest you. i try to be a 1 stop shop

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    I put a Bushnell ( 730132P ) 1x32 T-dot on my Bushmaster ORC. Red and green reticle, rheostat for brightness control, waterproof, unlimited eye relief, Weaver style mount, made in Korea. Has been mounted for 1 1/2 years. Zeroed and has held zero, no problems for me. No magnification, shoots good to 200 yds. for me. Dropped a Crow at 80 yds. Works great on Coyotes. Couldn't be happier...Cost about $170...

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Burris does make the AR-332 that was pitched as a less-expensive option to the ACOG in a fixed 3x. There appears to be a problem with the included mount, however, so there is a fair amount of discussion online about the need to upgrade to a Larue ACOG mount.

IMO, the Burris is not worth it, though, since adding the Larue mount typically puts it well over $400 and still offers no where near the flexibility of the PST (fixed 3x vs variable 1-4x.)

I just felt I would bring it up since the OP asked about alternatives to the ACOG. ;)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would only recommend getting the magnifier for your Eotech if you have a model with the buttons on the side.

1X4 power scope seems like a really cool idea to me. I'm looking at a Nightforce NXS 1X4.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Im in the same boat as you OP. I would love to have the trijicon acog and the one I want is around 1200. Sounds pretty logic to spend the same on an optic as I did on my rifle:D.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I like the looks of this, how does it perform? Hold zero well, field of view? Any others with input on this optic?

I've had primary arms products before, the ones I messed with were outstanding for the price. They are not even in the PST's league, but they are less than 1/2 the price so its not a fair comparison.

j.swartz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South Bend
    I'd like to start off by saying that ONLY the 4x32 ACOG's have Tritium. If you look here {http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ACOG} you see all the different variants of ACOG. I'm honestly surprised that noone pointed this out to you sooner. All the other ACOG products use a fiber optic immumination system.
    Another question ive had, Isnt the center triangle in the reticle of the acogs illuminated by tritium?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'd like to start off by saying that ONLY the 4x32 ACOG's have Tritium.

Pretty certain you are off here. I think the 4x32 LED is actually the only that doesn't have tritium (at this time.) To be more specific, most of the models are TFO (Tritium plus Fiber Optic) so the fiber optics supplement the tritium light source in brighter environments.

Notice, Trijicon lists tritium as a light source on the 1.5x24 (and most other models): TA45-2 - Trijicon, Inc.

Magnification 1.5x
    Objective Size 24
    Bullet Drop Compensator No
    Length (In) 5.76
    Weight (oz) 5.92
    Illumination Source Fiber Optics & Tritium
    Reticle Pattern Triangle
    Day Reticle Color Amber
    Night Reticle Color Amber
    Eye Relief 3.6
    Exit Pupil 16
    Field of View (Degrees) 4.9
    Field of View @ 100 yards (ft) 25.6
    Adjustment @ 100 yards (clicks/in) 3
    Mount Comes With Carry handle
    Housing Material Forged Aluminum

vs the 4x32 LED: TA02 - Trijicon, Inc.

Magnification 4x
    Objective Size 32mm
    Bullet Drop Compensator Yes
    Length (In) 6.0 in
    Weight (oz) 18.1 oz. with TA51 Mount and Alkaline Battery
    Illumination Source LED
    Reticle Pattern Crosshair
    Day Reticle Color Red
    Night Reticle Color Red
    Calibration 0.223
    Bindon Aiming Concept Yes
    Eye Relief 1.5 in.
    Exit Pupil 8 in.
    Field of View (Degrees) 7°
    Field of View @ 100 yards (ft) 36.8 ft.
    Adjustment @ 100 yards (clicks/in) 2 clicks per in.
    Mount Comes With TA51
    Housing Material Forged Aluminum
    Batteries Single AA Lithium or Alkaline Battery

Last edited:
    Top Bottom