• ...and so much more!
  • mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Gentlemen

I have recently built my 2nd AR.
    20" heavy barrel,Auto BCG and blackhawk 6 pos stock.

Now.......I test fired it today with some Tula.
    first 2 shots ok.

After that......it was a one shot wonder machine.
    Checked gas block alignment and it is good.

Also......it was not ejecting everytime and forward assist was used once or twice.

QUESTION:
    Too light a buffer?
    Too heavy a spring?
    Auto BCG too heavy for Tula ammo??

Suggestions please.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    My nephew had issues with his Tula ammo. The extractor kept peeling back the rim. Nothing wrong with the gun. Change ammo and try again

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I would try some brass cased 5.56 ammo. I know Wolf is a lot weaker than 5.56, Tula may be the same. Is your rifle chambered in 223 or 5.56? What kind of gas block are you running? If you load one round in the magazine, does the bolt lock back after firing?

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Well....you could fire it once. pull the trigger again and click. Was weird because it acted to me like it cycled sometimes but......there wasnt anything in the chamber.

I use only lucas gun oil....
    GOOD STUFF!!!

Gas block is after market.

I just took everything apart and used calipers on gas block hole and barrel hole.
    Reset everything and gonna try again wed. I'm gonna take some brass and tula and shoot both and inspect both.
    Chambered 5.56 ,1:9 twist NATO heavy barrel.
    Im gonna take a heavier buffer (longer too) and different spring too.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sure you don't have an excessively heavy buffer in there? A rifle length gas system is not like a carbine gas system.

Any decent AR should manage to run that stuff, if that's not the problem then I would be taking a hard look at the chamber.

And your last comment makes it sound like your magazines aren't feeding.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Im gonna take a heavier buffer (longer too) and different spring too.

1st, get some decent ammo to test/troubleshoot with. Make sure the BCG is WELL lubed.

2nd, the assumption is it's short stroking... verify by firing one round w/ an empty mag inserted. If the bcg locks back, good. If not, it's short stroking.

3rd, if it is short stroking, a heavier buffer is the opposite of what you want. Not sure what you mean by longer. that scares me. There should only be one appropriate length for your stock. Putting a "longer" one it is just trouble waiting to happen.

you said you measured the gas port... how big is it?

assume the mags are known good (work well in your other AR)?

what spring and buffer are you using?

-rvb

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Look at your gas tube and make sure it's not plugged. We put together an AR for my brother last year, his was a one shot wonder also, the gas tube was packed full of fine white powder. Changed the tube and it worked great.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Well....you could fire it once. pull the trigger again and click. Was weird because it acted to me like it cycled sometimes but......there wasnt anything in the chamber.

Problem still sounds like short stroking. The bolt only needs to come back a fraction of the way to reset the hammer. I have a friend with a 20" AR and the same problem but he's too lazy to troubleshoot. Who makes your upper or barrel? Sounds like it's under-gassed causing short stroking. Could be from the weak ammo or an under-sized gas port in your barrel.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Best bet is to try again with some NATO spec ammo. Something in 5.56, not .223. .223 ammo is usually loaded weaker.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would not break in an AR with Tula. I shoot Tula thru mine with no problem, but I have also ran probably close to 1K rounds of brass thru it first.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Well, your first mistake was using tula in a new gun. It sounds like short stroking. Make sure your gas block is properly aligned over the port.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am going to chime in with the others and tell you to try real ammo, brass cased to start with before you blame your rifle for Tula junk not cycling. I might as well have burned my money instead of throwing it away on a case of Tula .223.

It is so poorly loaded that some round fire ok, and some when I remove them from the chamber when they don't eject properly are ice cold. And this is from a Norinco 84S-1 as well as a Romanian SAR-3 that until trying the Tula would cycle anything as a good AK variant should. To say they wouldn't cycle my closer tolerance M4gery is an understatement.

Try some good brass ammo before you blame your rifle.

Top Bottom