• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have decided that my next gun will be an ar 15/10. I have some basic question and some more advanced.

Will the ar-15 reach out as far as an ar-10? Is there really any differences between the two besides the caliber? What is honestly more accurate in your personal experience

Now this is where I am mostly interested in. Is building an ar cheaper vs buying one. I know some cheaper end ars only cost around 600$, but I am talking best bang for buck (in regards of quality AND cost).

If it pans out to be the same amount of money, is the real reason for building one is being able to put the best of the best parts in for the same price?

Is building an ar-15 the same cost as ar-10, and is a built ar15/10 the same accuracy as a bought ar-15/10.

I know its a lot, but this will be my first ar and I want it to be a good one. Let me know from you experienced ar-15/10ers out there!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have decided that my next gun will be an ar 15/10. I have some basic question and some more advanced.

Will the ar-15 reach out as far as an ar-10? Is there really any differences between the two besides the caliber? What is honestly more accurate in your personal experience

The AR15 is .223/5.56, the AR10 is .308/7.62. Accuracy is more an effect of the shooter knowing how to shoot.

Now this is where I am mostly interested in. Is building an ar cheaper vs buying one. I know some cheaper end ars only cost around 600$, but I am talking best bang for buck (in regards of quality AND cost).

Building can be cheaper or more expensive. I opt for the "building as I want it" excuse.

If it pans out to be the same amount of money, is the real reason for building one is being able to put the best of the best parts in for the same price?

"Fun" is also a valid reason.

Is building an ar-15 the same cost as ar-10, and is a built ar15/10 the same accuracy as a bought ar-15/10.

Simply put , NO. AR10 stuff is more costly, and not quite as standardized at this time.

I know its a lot, but this will be my first ar and I want it to be a good one. Let me know from you experienced ar-15/10ers out there!

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    So you would suggest an ar15 for price and being able to put what you want in the gun?

Can anyone break down the cost of building an ar-15?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So you would suggest an ar15 for price and being able to put what you want in the gun?

I have built complete ARs that I had $500 in. My "serious" AR I built to last, exactly how I wanted it, and have close to $1500 in the upper alone..... Your question "how much does it cost to build" is extremely subjective.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have built complete ARs that I had $500 in. My "serious" AR I built to last, exactly how I wanted it, and have close to $1500 in the upper alone..... Your question "how much does it cost to build" is extremely subjective.

I figured that would pop up. I guess I am really wanting a gas piston ar. I am looking for quality parts that are not bank breaking, I guess the best bang for your buck parts.

I have heard a lot of people mention spikes lowers and never anything about uppers.

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    If this is your first venture into the ar platform, buy a complete rifle and shoot the h*ll out of it. This will give you an idea of what you want to change or keep the same and you can tweak your rifle or start a build. If you just start assembling random parts based on cost, you might not like the end result.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a complete AR (DPMS) and did not like it. I fixed a few things on it but not happy. Bought a better one (M&P) and it was OK but still something missing. Completely rebuilt it and put all the parts from the M&P into the other (DPMS) gun and now I have 2 that run great with some spare parts. Makes no sense to some but I get it.
    Its all in what you want to do.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Well I have shot tons of ars. I just really want to know if I should build or buy. I know im being pretty vague about my questions.

I guess I am almost looking for around 600-800$ price range. I would prefer gas piston if possible (for price range). Is there anything do-able in that price range that would be better to build vs buy (quality or price)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well I have shot tons of ars. I just really want to know if I should build or buy. I know im being pretty vague about my questions.

I guess I am almost looking for around 600-800$ price range. I would prefer gas piston if possible (for price range). Is there anything do-able in that price range that would be better to build vs buy (quality or price)
    You could maybe build a pretty decent DI gas one for around $800 but if you wanna go the piston route then it will probably push it up over a grand easy.

Right now I have a pretty decent DI AR-15 that I put together. I've got about $800 in it and have been contemplating a piston conversion kit but those are running close to another $300.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    are you planning on buy two piston kits? One to use and one for parts?

I went DI because it's easy to get spare parts anywhere.

Mine was also a payday gun, bought things here and there over several paydays.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Why do you want a gas piston upper? It will cost more than a standard gas system and there are not really any benefits but there are disadvantages.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    are you planning on buy two piston kits? One to use and one for parts?

I went DI because it's easy to get spare parts anywhere.

Mine was also a payday gun, bought things here and there over several paydays.
    Can't argue with this. I haven't had any problems with my DI setup. I've been contemplating a piston conversion just to try something different. Haven't really made up my mind yet.

I just wanted to point out to the OP that if he's set on a piston AR it will run quite a bit higher for a decent setup than his intended price range.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Piston set ups run cooler cleaner and give you the option to adjust the amount of pressure needed to cycle the action under different situations. i can run absolute garbage ammo that may not cycle right in DI guns..i can crank up the pressure and it WILL cycle like a champ...or while using hotter loads..trim it down to cycle as needed..and When Silenced....i can run that mode as well with out over gassing or under gassing. But the disadvantage..you may end up playing with recoil springs to get one that works just right on normal settings. I had to...once i got the buffer and spring to the right weights/pressure...it runs like a champ and doesnt heat up or create as much fouling in the rifle. It also adds some weight....its not much..some folks will tell you is adds tons of weight. it adds a little but not more than 1/2 pound at worst.
    The best way to get into the AR Field in my opinion is to build one. You know what youve got, and you know what the capabilities of your parts are. If you buy a cheap AR you never know where they cut corners to make it for less. And the parts search is an education in itself. You learn where your best deals are and arent. Also it will teach you how to repair and to trouble shoot your own rifle later on...since you put it together. Either way welcome to your new addiction.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

The cost of a build all depends on what you want on the rifle and how much of a build you want to do. If you want to build the upper as well as the lower (even a complete moron like me can do it without trouble, other than dropping a roll pin on the garage floor and losing it), you can shop around and find quality components for a little less than buying a complete upper but unless you've got the proper tools/know someone that has them...you've got to factor that in.

I built a 16" Palmetto State Armory Mock Dissipator with their MOE lower kit. I had around $800 in the build (with a Magpul rear backup site). If you wanted to build a "higher end" brand, the lower will cost quite a bit more. I got mine of sale for $50 (around $65 after transfer and shipping). Normally, that lower is $89 + transfer and shipping. My complete upper was $750-ish shipped. I did put an Aimpoint PRO on it, that normally runs around $410. Took it out with the Aimpoint for the first time today and I love it. I've got around $1,200 in it. The specs of the build (maybe minus the lower parts kit) are very similar to a rifle that costs quite a bit more.

If you really want to, you can check out Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory. You can get a pretty basic complete build kit (minus the lower) like this 14.7'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light profile Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15 for a very reasonable price. Add in the rear site of your choice (if you're going to add optics, the Magpul is fine for $50). I would add the Magpul MOE trigger guard or another oversized/winter trigger guard if you'd ever be shooting with gloves (especially if you've got big hands). That upper with the MOE trigger guard and the Magpul rear site will be just under $690. Add in a PSA lower (their regular is out of stock right now but they've got one engraved with the Gadsden Flag for $89.95, add in the transfer $10-20) and you've got $799.95 with a $20 transfer + shipping charges (if you do that, make sure to have 2 orders so you don't get hit an additional charge). You'd have a very nice shooting, pretty basic AR for just a bit over $800.

If you don't care about a CHF barrel, you can go another route. M4 Madness - 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper - without BCG or charging handle - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15 $299.95, pick up a BCG and charging handle (this one gets a lot of good reviews for $45 BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle, GFH Mod 4). A complete BCG (BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16 for $150) and a lpk, you can go from pretty reasonable to as expensive as your tastes and wallet allow. Add a lower (you should be able to find a Spikes local, around me they're about $120) and you're back up to around the rifle kit, lower, and site I mentioned.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The best way to get into the AR Field in my opinion is to build one. You know what youve got, and you know what the capabilities of your parts are. If you buy a cheap AR you never know where they cut corners to make it for less. And the parts search is an education in itself. You learn where your best deals are and arent. Also it will teach you how to repair and to trouble shoot your own rifle later on...since you put it together. Either way welcome to your new addiction.

Though I don't know "jack" yet about building an AR, I agree with this guy. I have built bicycles and was told that I would spend more building one than buying it complete. I built a $3100 bike for $2500. So not only did I save money, but I had fun, learned a lot about the bike, and had exactly what I wanted.

My guess is if you are particular, when you buy a complete rifle, you will end up making some modifications to it. So to have a far comparison, you have to add the cost of the mods to the original purchase price of the gun. I think if one is not in a hurry and watches the sales, you should be able to get the parts at good prices. After all, even though the mfrs buy the parts at much lower prices than what we can, they have higher overhead and labor.

Once I "spec" out what I want, I will see if there is one out there that meet my specs and compare it to building myself. If I will save a lot by buying complete I probably will.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you really want to, you can check out Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory. You can get a pretty basic complete build kit (minus the lower) like this 14.7'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light profile Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15 for a very reasonable price. Add in the rear site of your choice (if you're going to add optics, the Magpul is fine for $50). I would add the Magpul MOE trigger guard or another oversized/winter trigger guard if you'd ever be shooting with gloves (especially if you've got big hands). That upper with the MOE trigger guard and the Magpul rear site will be just under $690. Add in a PSA lower (their regular is out of stock right now but they've got one engraved with the Gadsden Flag for $89.95, add in the transfer $10-20) and you've got $799.95 with a $20 transfer + shipping charges (if you do that, make sure to have 2 orders so you don't get hit an additional charge). You'd have a very nice shooting, pretty basic AR for just a bit over $800.
    This is a pretty nice setup up for the money and something similar to what I did for about the same kind of money.

Instead of buying the rifle kit though I bought a complete PSA upper and mated it together with a lower that I put together with different parts that I wanted.

If you go for that particular upper with the 14.7" barrel just make sure you click on the "NFA option" and choose "Pin and Weld Muzzle Device" for an extra $20 to make the barrel length legal unless you are planning to go the NFA route but that's a bit more involved.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I thought that gas piston was more reliable than DI. I am fine with DI. I think I have decided to build for a couple of reasons. It will help me learn the gun and platform a lot better, and I love the fact that I can buy the parts when I have the spare cash. So I need suggestions on uppers, lowers, and barrels!

Tim Enyeart

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Marion
    I bought a used RR (like new and knew the buyer) with quad rails for $800. I've spent another $800 in accessories including a Burris AR332 and love it for 200 yards and less. I haven't shot it beyond that but I believe it would be okay at 300 yards too.

Top Bottom