• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I thought that gas piston was more reliable than DI. I am fine with DI. I think I have decided to build for a couple of reasons. It will help me learn the gun and platform a lot better, and I love the fact that I can buy the parts when I have the spare cash. So I need suggestions on uppers, lowers, and barrels!

Millions and millions of DI ARs are working great. I bought a lower in the group buy here and decided to do a DelTon 20" standard A2 build. Great value and runs perfect. If I had done it over, I would have kept 20", but went with a flat top. I can add a carry handle, but harder to take it away. A scope on top of a carry handle mount is really high.

I believe that gun owners should know they guns. The easiest way to do this with the AR is build it. My DelTon kit had an assembled upper, which I thought was good for the first go. I will most likely replace the upper with a flat top upper by swapping most of the parts, to learn upper construction now.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    When it comes to barrels, you had better decide what your primary intended purpose of that rifle is. Chromed bores are good for wear resistence, but the target shooters like the stainless or unlined bored barrels better. Again twist rate is another consideration. Most commercial barrels are 1:9, milspec is 1:7, the target crowd seems to like the 1:8 and old school ARs can be found with 1:12, and if you find a pot o gold, just maybe you could find one of the ultra rare 1:14 twist barrels that were on them back when McNamara was diggin the new fangled poodle shooter. Then there is barrel length. All these questions are more easily answered if you outline some specifics. You have some very knowledgable gurus around here (no I'm not one) so you could end up with a great rifle for a great price.

And with this rifle every part can be a source of heated debate.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom