• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It occurred to me the other day that I have a few different types of collapsible AR stocks in the armory at the moment, and it might be beneficial to the members to show some pics and do some brief comparative reviews.

The Stocks in Question
    stocks_all.jpg

stocks_bottom.jpg

stocks_top.jpg

stocks_back.jpg

Top to bottom/right to left:
    Magpul ACS, currently uninstalled (sale pending)
    VLTOR iMod, currently installed on BCM 16" mid-length build
    VLTOR Modstock, currently installed on numerous builds including ARs, AKs and Saiga shotguns. This one is from my 10.5" SBR
    Magpul CTR, currently installed on my 9mm SBR
    M4 type, currently installed on my son's 16" super-light build

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    M4 STYLE (as produced by numerous manufacturers)

stocks_m4_tape.jpg

Like it or leave it, this is the standard to which all aftermarket collapsible stocks will be compared. This evaluation only takes into account the features, pros and cons of this particular stock design; quality of individual makers may vary.

Length: 6.75"
    Weight: 6.7 oz.
    Features: Reinforced "waffle" design and longer buttplate for improved durability and ergonomics compared to older CAR stocks; integral bottom sling swivel and side slot for 2/3-point sling adapters.

PROS
    • Lightweight
    • Can accept variety of aftermarket enhancements (risers, cheekweld adapters, sling sockets, buttpads, etc)
    • Least expensive of all pictured stocks

CONS
    • Fit between individual stocks and receiver extensions can vary widely; most will have some degree of fore/aft and/or side to side wobble
    • No onboard storage capability
    • Limited sling attachment options

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    VLTOR (Modstock & iMod)

MODSTOCK ("clubfoot" style)

stocks_vltor_tape.jpg

stocks_vltor_storage.jpg

Length: 6-3/16"
    Weight: 8.2 oz.
    Features: Contoured sloping cheekweld surfaces with built-in sealed storage compartments; top and bottom slots for sling adapters; QD sling swivel sockets on both sides; low-profile butterfly-style latch; extended toe for off-hand support during bench or prone shooting.

Note that the standard Modstock models have been discontinued in favor of the iMod. They are still available from some online vendors (most notably Bravo Company, which at the time of this writing, had them on closeout for around $50.00) and on the secondary market.

PROS
    • Improved ergonomics (cheekweld and length/angle of buttplate)
    • Onboard storage
    • Multiple sling attachment options
    • Low-profile adjustment levers resist snagging and bumping

CONS
    • When installed, storage tubes block the lower sling attachment slot
    • Storage tube caps can be hard to manipulate (especially when wearing gloves) and are easily lost; they should come with retention lanyards (i.e. "dummy cords") from the factory
    • Some users report facial irritation from the interlocking seam between the stock body and storage tube; it's been a non-issue for me, and is easily rectified by taping over the seam
    • Buttpad (mfg. by SOG Armory) must be bought separately, and is bulky and too soft/tacky

iMOD ("clubfoot" style)
    stocks_imod_tape.jpg

stocks_imod_storage.jpg

Length: 6.626"
    Weight: 9.24 oz.

MODSTOCK vs. iMOD COMPARISON
    stocks_vltor_compare2.jpg

stocks_vltor_compare.jpg

Per VLTOR's website, improvements made to the iMod include:
    • Integral but removable non-slip buttpad (color matched to stock components)
    • Rolled/angled buttpad toe with wide traction area. This will assist in running the stock high on shoulder, making the IMod system more user friendly when using web-gear and/or body armor.
    • Improved lock paddle, making it easier to operate and making the contact surface non-slip when operating the lever.
    • Removed most sharp edges that may cause “snag points” to web-gear or other vital equipment.
    • Improved strength throughout construction of the stock chassis. This will provide maximum strength during “Mortaring exercise” or unexpected impact.

PROS:
    • Generally similar to the standard Modstock, with the above-noted improvements

CONS:
    • Accessory tube caps can be hard to manipulate (especially when wearing gloves) and are easily lost; they should come with retention lanyards (i.e. "dummy cords") from the factory

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    MAGPUL CTR

stocks_CTR_tape.jpg

Length: 6.90"
    Weight: 7.9 oz.
    Features: Recessed/protected adjustment lever; friction lock; built-in QD sling swivel sockets on both sides; integral low-profile buttpad; accepts plug-in risers (several heights available)

PROS
    • Lightest of the aftermarket stocks
    • Friction lock allows rigid lockup on most receiver extensions
    • Multiple sling attachment options

CONS
    • Offers little to no cheekweld improvement over M4 stock
    • No onboard storage

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    MAGPUL ACS

stocks_ACS_tape.jpg

stocks_ACS_storage.jpg

Length: 7.95"
    Weight: 13.8 oz.
    Features: Contoured sloping cheekweld surfaces with sealed storage tubes; hinged storage compartment in "toe" area; friction lock mechanism; integral rubber buttpad; accepts QD sling sockets on either side.

PROS
    • Extremely comfortable; allows shooting NTCH without compromising cheek weld.
    • Friction lock allows rigid lockup on most receiver extensions.
    • Plenty of storage for batteries and small parts.

CONS
    • Longer/heavier/bulkier than other options; I found this to cause comfort/shoulder mount issues when using it with gear and armor. The bulk of the stock body and location of the QD sling points interfered with my preferred sling setup, as well.
    • Sling sockets must be purchased separately.
    • Most expensive of all the pictured stocks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    MY CHOICES

The CTR is a simple, lightweight option that is ideal on short/light carbines, but I prefer the ergonomics and onboard storage of the VLTOR offerings for most other applications. The average user probably won't realize most of the benefits the iMod provides over the standard Modstock (I have yet to break a stock of any kind), but the integral buttpad is a welcome addition. I tried the ACS and really wanted to like it, but I found it to be on the big & bulky side (perhaps as a result of trying to be all things to all users?), and I just couldn't make it work satisfactorily with my gear and sling setup.

My :twocents:

If you have a personal favorite stock that hasn't been mentioned here (LMT SOPMOD, Magpul UBR, etc), feel free to take pics and add to this thread!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    LMT SOPMOD gen 1

Stocks004.jpg

Stocks005.jpg

Stocks006.jpg

KAC QD sling swivel adapter
    newtoys013.jpg

LMT : SOPMOD Buttstock Assembly Back to Buttstocks Assemblies and Parts Improved cheek weld for better shooting position. Watertight battery storage compartments. Padded buttplate reduces felt recoil and provides no-slip surface against web gear and body armor.

Stock Weights

Magpul CTR stock - 7.56 oz *

Magpul CTR with pad- 8.79 oz *

Vltor Modstock - 7.76 oz *

Vltor EMod - 13.81 oz *

LMT M4 stock - 6.80 oz *

LMT SOPMOD - 11.05 oz *

Magpul UBR - 1.56 lb

Magpul ACS - 1.16 lb

Magpul MOE - .82 lb

* These measurements are courtesy of GotM4 and do not include buffer tube weight.

Last two come from Magpul and include buffer tube weight.

Last edited:

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Which one will allow for the longest stock? I'm 6'7" and always feel like the stock is too short. I know you gave the length of the unit itself but that doesn't give the length of the stock once installed.

Oh, and it's a good writeup... Thanks.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Great pics as always, but how 'bout some words to go with 'em? :D

How does the SOPMOD stack up to the other offerings (and I'm sure you have some of those, too) in terms of dimensions, weight, features, etc? What's the difference between a Gen 1 and other generations?

digging through my pics first...will add descriptions as time permits :D

difference between the gen 1 and the new gen 2 is the built in QD sling swivel.

Out of all the stocks I have the LMT SOPMOD is my favorite on a carbine.
    Cheekweld is great, no annoying rattle.
    Versatile, works great on anything from a SBR to a SPR.

Second favorite stock is the Magpul CTR.
    Light, locks up TIGHT, great for anything from a SBR to 16" carbine.

Last edited:

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    my Magpul pre-production UBR

UBR005.jpg

The Magpul UBR (Utility / Battle Rifle), U.S. Patent 6651371, is a fully-featured, adjustable butt stock for the AR15/M16. Unlike typical collapsing stocks, this modular design offers the stability of a fixed stock with consistent cheek weld in any position. Seven-position length-of-pull (LOP) adjustment is quickly executed with gross motor movement while the integral preset system allows direct access to a preferred position. A robust lock mechanism and multi-shell construction increase durability under severe impact conditions experienced during malfunction clearing and accommodates large-bore AR calibers with ease. The UBR also provides extra counterbalance weight to improve handling on full-length rifles and weapons with muzzle-heavy accessories or bull-barrels. Optional components such as dual-side sling mounts and metal strike plate allow the UBR to adapt to the mission at hand.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Magpul M93b
    These were an experimental stock, it has evolved into the UBR,
    no longer in production, licensed and produced now by Ergo/Falcon with some changes.

stocks001.jpg

proprietary mounting, used shims for "timing".
    stocks002.jpg

not many of these were produced...some what rare.

Top Bottom