Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've been thinking about this one myself. I know that a 1:7 twist is better than a 1:9 for using heavier bullets, but will a 1:8 twist still handle them okay?

It really boils down to the barrel and a particular load. each barrel is going to shoot different. as a general rule yes a 1:7 should be ideal for the higher grain bullets just as the 1:9 should be more tailored to the 55gr stuff. Then the 1:8 being a good blend of the two. It really just comes down to trying a number of different loads in a rifle and just seeing what works. I've had or got every twist rate mentioned and have had 1:8 twist rifles shoot the higher grain stuff poorly then I've also had one a couple years back that shot it very well. Most people will go the 1:8 route and will more than likely do anything you'll ever need it to do, just take the time when you get it to find out what it likes to shoot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

It really boils down to the barrel and a particular load. each barrel is going to shoot different. as a general rule yes a 1:7 should be ideal for the higher grain bullets just as the 1:9 should be more tailored to the 55gr stuff. Then the 1:8 being a good blend of the two. It really just comes down to trying a number of different loads in a rifle and just seeing what works. I've had or got every twist rate mentioned and have had 1:8 twist rifles shoot the higher grain stuff poorly then I've also had one a couple years back that shot it very well. Most people will go the 1:8 route and will more than likely do anything you'll ever need it to do, just take the time when you get it to find out what it likes to shoot.

Thanks guys. I found another thread here on INGO discussing twist rates and found some links in there that basically said the same thing about the 1:8. It's a good compromise between the 1:7 and 1:9 and should handle about anything up to 77 grains. I also saw that it really has more to do with projectile length than with projectile weight (with M855 and tracer ammo having a longer projectile). Now I just have to make up my own mind about which upper to get. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom