Kokomo
    Who would like to help me build an ar?

16 inch barrel
    Iron sights
    Flat top upper
    No ammo
    No mags
    $800 to build one as nice as possible

Links and suggestions are appreciated...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For the upper - look on gunbroker for Hardened Arms. They have website, but sell on GB without a reserve, so there's usually a significant discount. Like full uppers (no BCG or CH, though) for $200.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Get on joeboboutfitters.com and poke around. I have found some amazing deals on there. I believe it is free shipping over 100 bucks as well. And don't forget to add the free tshirt to your cart. :rockwoot:

Smoker9000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Logansport
    Anderson upper and lower 40 each at Midwest gun exchange find a good barrel on ebay less than 100 shipped. 40$ for lpk, 20$ for a mil spec trigger Anderson rifle .Com

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Get on joeboboutfitters.com and poke around. I have found some amazing deals on there. I believe it is free shipping over 100 bucks as well. And don't forget to add the free tshirt to your cart. :rockwoot:

Haven't ordered AR parts (except PMags) from JoeBobOutfitters, but I have ordered other stuff from them. Good place to do business with, I've never had an issue.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

I love PSA!
    I bought a lightweight upper with a standard hand guard and front sight post, replaced that with a 15" key mod rail, and low pro gas block. I also had a BCM charging handle.

Lower was a PSA lower, BCM trigger guard (cheaper than magpul), grip, and B5 stock. With you on a budget snag a good deal on a PSA lower that's complete or a kit that comes fit with magpul to save a bit. Should be able to get one for under $200 with shipping, transfer fee, and all...

I did this rifle under $800 and then threw in a Geissele which you could do later... It'd be a great rifle. Otherwise, buy a complete lower from PSA or a kit cheap and buy a good BCM upper on what will end up being their Christmas/ Newyears sale in a couple weeks and you'll be right around $800 for a solid rifle, I'm thinking a touch under $200 for the lower, and a touch over $600 for the upper. Only thing you'd be out on your wish list is probably your rear and or front and rear flip ups if you don't go with a front sight post.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Still a VERY nice option around $800.

You can also find Colt LE6920's for $800 these days. That's also a heck of an option. Or buy the OEM LE6920 for even cheaper, which comes with no furniture, and screw on whatever furniture you please.

Or build your own. Here's a DD barrel for $150 to get you started. Put your money in the barrel, BCG, and trigger. Then free-float the barrel with a nice free float tube/rail if you still have money.
    https://www.westernsport.com/produc...hammer-forged-barrel-carbine-length-stripped/

What happened to Spikes? I thought they used to be INGO's number one recommendation at the $800 mark.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Western sport has Daniel defense chf m4 barrels for 150$ right now, most stellar deal I can find find on a barrel. Paired it with a chrome Daniel defense bcg for 150 from Joe Bob and Anda black friday bcm upper receiver for 60. Best upper combo to be had on the Internet at this time.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    By the time you add a Rail, CH, FA kit, Dust Cover kit, Gas System, and Flash Hider, you may be cheaper buying one of the complete uppers Westernsport had on sale, one of the Troy uppers, or one of the other excellent uppers that's currently on sale. Full DD uppers (comes with BCG/CH) were going for $556 shipped. I'd recommend making a spreadsheet with all of the numbers laid out and figuring out what way to go.

Western sport has Daniel defense chf m4 barrels for 150$ right now, most stellar deal I can find find on a barrel. Paired it with a chrome Daniel defense bcg for 150 from Joe Bob and Anda black friday bcm upper receiver for 60. Best upper combo to be had on the Internet at this time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have built an AR for around $800 and half of that was spent on the barrel and the trigger. I think I could build one with a stock trigger and a lower priced barrel for under $700.

And still have floating hand guard, my choice of pistol grip, upgraded BCG, upgraded charging handle and a fixed stock which I prefer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd recommend making a spreadsheet with all of the numbers laid out and figuring out what way to go.

This. I have a spreadsheet to track my builds. I list the part, brand, model, where I bought it and the price paid. When I build the next one, I make sure I equal or better the price paid on the previous. This way I build them for less as I progress.

I am straying from that slightly right now in that I am working on three builds simultaneously so when I find a part for less than my previous builds, I buy three. But I only buy if the price is the lowest I have seen in awhile. Like the Fail Zero EXO BCG's I just bought for $103 each.

Dust covers, FA, lower parts kits, flash hiders, gas tubes, etc. sit in my Amazon cart at all times. When I need some extra "stuff" to hit the free shipping, I toss those in. The prices are as low as anywhere else and I get the free shipping on them as well as what I was ordering in the first place. Two wins there.:)

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    By the time you add a Rail, CH, FA kit, Dust Cover kit, Gas System, and Flash Hider, you may be cheaper buying one of the complete uppers Westernsport had on sale, one of the Troy uppers, or one of the other excellent uppers that's currently on sale. Full DD uppers (comes with BCG/CH) were going for $556 shipped. I'd recommend making a spreadsheet with all of the numbers laid out and figuring out what way to go.

You're right, my issue was I don't want a floating rail on an m4 setup and I thought about buying one to use on my build with a larue predatar barrel, but got a BCM KMR instead. Still, for a bare barrel, its a solid deal, and Primary Arms put the Fail Zero BCG back on for 99$, I may need to build another rifle...

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Didn't Rural King have a Ruger in 5.56 for under $600? Fairly complete and ready for customization?

RK had the Ruger AR-556 for $585 on Black Friday. Meeks had them for $595 but I think they're all sold out.

I was going to build my first AR but hard to pass up something like this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom