• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    hello all im building a ar15 and i wanted some opinions on some parts, i was told that black rain ordanance and seekings percesion are high quality lowers is this true? and what about the uppers? or is there other companies i should look into since im spending a nice amount on this build i would like high quality parts, any info would be very helpfull thanks

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    The next lower I purchase will be a Seekins. I purchased a Delaware Machinery lower before a Seekins only because I have a spot in my heart for Muncie Indiana.

Aside from looks, I don't believe it matter which stamp resides on the side as long as the guts are designed for the rifles purpose.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have lowers from Seekins, LMT, Colt, Noveske, DD, Bravo, Palmetto, Troy, and probably another or two I am forgetting, and I am unable to ring out any significant difference. It is either in spec, or it is not.

I do have a Sun Devil lower with an out of spec mag well, though I suspect that is a possibility from anyone.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Spikes Tactical, Aero Pecision or BCM lowers. All quality at a low price point, usually right around $100-130.

LPK, pretty much anything out there works but, I'd stick with quality mfg like Stag/CMMG, RRA etc....avoid Olympic and DPMS if at all possible. (All the butt hurt Oly and DPMS fan bois posts to follow)

I also suggest sticking cking with a GI fire control group. Ya, Timney's etc are nice and smooth but, where do you get a replacement $230 trigger in a SHTF situation?

Also, consider a quality stock with a good cheek weld. You would be amazed at how much that helps accuracy when you're shooting.

Uppers and optics are their own thread topics and mainly depend on what you actually want to do with the rifle.

And lastly, ANY thread on ARs will end up in dozens of opinions being offered as holy dictate, take it all, including this post with a grain of salt......and avoid Olympic and DPMS! Haha

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Spikes Tactical, Aero Pecision or BCM lowers. All quality at a low price point, usually right around $100-130.

LPK, pretty much anything out there works but, I'd stick with quality mfg like Stag/CMMG, RRA etc....avoid Olympic and DPMS if at all possible. (All the butt hurt Oly and DPMS fan bois posts to follow)

I also suggest sticking cking with a GI fire control group. Ya, Timney's etc are nice and smooth but, where do you get a replacement $230 trigger in a SHTF situation?

Also, consider a quality stock with a good cheek weld. You would be amazed at how much that helps accuracy when you're shooting.

Uppers and optics are their own thread topics and mainly depend on what you actually want to do with the rifle.

And lastly, ANY thread on ARs will end up in dozens of opinions being offered as holy dictate, take it all, including this post with a grain of salt......and avoid Olympic and DPMS! Haha

I've found Spikes to be a great balance between cost and quality on just about all AR parts. Hard to go wrong with Magpul as well for stocks, hanguards, etc. The MOE handguard and grip, along with the CTR stock will make your rifle very functional.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Try a BCI Defense lower. Machined right here in IN! I promise that you will not be disappointed. Status Quo Sucks!

You guys need to get one of the Indianapolis area gun shops set up as a dealer. I would love to check one out, but I can't justify driving out to Terre Haute to do it... Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    You guys need to get one of the Indianapolis area gun shops set up as a dealer. I would love to check one out, but I can't justify driving out to Terre Haute to do it... Just my 2 cents.

A Big whopping 1 hour away. Seriously? Maybe you just need to get out more. :n00b:

What I someone is handicapped and can't drive that far? Or maybe the extra gas doesn't justify the expense? Don't just trash talk someone without knowing their circumstance. 2 cents
    Can't we just stick to the bashing of Olympic Arms and DPMS?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    From my experience, A forged lower is a forged lower. It doesnt matter the name on the side. I have multiple of the following Spikes, Seekins, Yankee Hill, and PSA. They all seemed to go together just fine and function they way they are supposed to. The more expensive ones worked just as well as the "cheaper" ones. If you are going for a billet lower, I like the look of the Seekins.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    for the money... look at what PSA considers a "blemish" on their blem lowers.. fourguns has only 1 left.. (due to me) and for 70 bucks out the door.. you can't beat PSA pricing. little math time.

59.00 - Price
    07.00 - Shipping
    15.00 - transfer
    81 bucks? tough call.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    A Big whopping 1 hour away. Seriously? Maybe you just need to get out more. :n00b:

Wow, calm down... My point is it would probably be worth the effort for them to work with an Indianapolis gun store or two to get them set up as dealers. In my experience many gun owners like to support local businesses when possible, especially when it doesn't require a 2-3 hour round trip. Personally, I'm not going to drive an hour and a half (I live on the SE side of Indy) to LOOK at (and possibly buy) something I'm not necessarily in the market for. However, if there was one sitting on the shelf at one of the LGS I frequent, I might have to pick one up just to have an Indiana made lower for a future project. Again, just my 2 cents.

What I someone is handicapped and can't drive that far? Or maybe the extra gas doesn't justify the expense? Don't just trash talk someone without knowing their circumstance. 2 cents

No not handicapped, but I absolutely on the gas.

From my experience, A forged lower is a forged lower. It doesnt matter the name on the side. I have multiple of the following Spikes, Seekins, Yankee Hill, and PSA. They all seemed to go together just fine and function they way they are supposed to. The more expensive ones worked just as well as the "cheaper" ones. If you are going for a billet lower, I like the look of the Seekins.

To the OP.... ^This.

Sorry for the slight derailment.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Other than Seekins, due to the looks of the one I seen (which was extremely sexy I might add), the only difference in the lowers I've handled are how well the magazine locks into place. Some you have to slam it in, others you can feel it click into place very easily. Other than that they have all been the same. I spent my money on a Yankee Hill Machinery lower when I built my AR and it fits me. It was a decent price, the magazine locks in easily, and it has a good finish on it. My cousin has a Delaware Machinery lower, the finish isn't as nice and the magazine takes a good slap to lock, but when it comes down to the internals working as they should, they are both one in the same.

If you want your AR to feel good and shoot good, you should look more into LPK's, triggers, and barrels rather than a hollowed piece of metal. The barrel will give you the accuracy and the trigger will help you achieve that accuracy and quick follow up shots. The Lower isn't that big of a deal when it comes down to it. It's just the house that the goodies reside in. :twocents:

Top Bottom