• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think he's saying he hand-loaded them for that much.

No that was for factory...I want to say it was Midwest Hunter's Outlet, there was shipping but it was combined with several other items so the shipping was spread out. They don't seem to have it in stock but $22.00 a box seems about average elsewhere right now. Considering this is loaded with the A-Max bullet I think even $22 a box is a deal.

I spoke to the guys at Hornady btw, they tell me the 2 rounds, the 300 Blackout as loaded by Remington and the 300 Whisper as loaded by Hornady are identical as far as case dimensions.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I

No that was for factory...I want to say it was Midwest Hunter's Outlet, there was shipping but it was combined with several other items so the shipping was spread out. They don't seem to have it in stock but $22.00 a box seems about average elsewhere right now. Considering this is loaded with the A-Max bullet I think even $22 a box is a deal.

I spoke to the guys at Hornady btw, they tell me the 2 rounds, the 300 Blackout as loaded by Remington and the 300 Whisper as loaded by Hornady are identical as far as case dimensions.

That is what I was wondering. I have not seen the wholesale prices for it even being as low as .50 a round.

The Hornady marked 300whisper will run just fine in a 300BLK chamber. I have shot a few boxes of the 208gr AMAX through mine. Also, I was told the same thing as far as case dimensions between the two.

Really the cheapest subsonic ammo out there that is factory loaded is the CMMG 175gr at $17.95 a box.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Still $.74/round (or $.69/round if buying more than 400 rds). Ouch.

But keep in mind that is match ammunition (Sierra MatchKing bullets ain't cheap!). In comparison, Black Hills and Hornady .223 75gr Match ammo runs at least that much per round, if not more.

Problem is, there aren't any non-premium heavyweight .308 slugs on the market right now (other than the pulled 175gr military projectiles that CMMG is using) AFAIK.

IMO, it's going to take another year or so of development and production before 300 BLK ammo prices drop significantly, and even then, the cheapest stuff is still going to be the supersonic 110-125gr loads. This "Gunn" ammo certainly appears to be a step in the right direction, however.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm strongly considering .300BLK as my forray into the NFA world. Saving now for a double stamper, with the plan to build a suppress SBR.

I'm a reloader with a schload of .223 brass laying around, so just need to see if the bullets will come down in price.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    How does this round perform at range? I have heard that once past 100 meters or so, that 5.56 out performs it? That sounds a little ridiculous to me. Again, this is a unconfirmed rumor that I heard. I have no idea how true it is. Anyone that knows more than my about it please chime in. I am curious.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    file.php

LWRCI's .300BLK SBR

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What I would like to know about this round is what is the purpose (1) and how does it exceed other offerings on the market that are cheaper to shoot (2).

If I want a 7.62 short cased round traveling at 2000fps for medium distance 100-300yd target shooting or hunting, I'll use my 6.8SPCII that has 110-120gr projectiles traveling at 2600+fps and better terminal ballistics and drop at distance.

If I want a quiet subsonic round in a short barreled AR platform for less than 100yd shooting (ie, close range), I'll use a 5" barrel 9mm upper and suppressor on an AR lower that costs about 20 cents/round to shoot with plenty of ammo options.

I'm always a proponent of new advances in AR technology and offerings but please help me understand how this chambering will be better than the options I listed above for it specific uses?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The big draw right now is the amount of energy you can put on target with the .300 Blackout at close ranges, while staying subsonic.

That makes is very likeable especially when suppressed, as you can be very quiet but pack a huge punch.

Out past 200yds there really isn't much benefit from what I've been able to read.

Top Bottom