• ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    5.45 x 39

What's the story on 5.45 x 39. Is SW the only company that makes 5.45x39 uppers? Where can you get them and will they fit a standard 5.56 lower? Where do you get the ammo and why is it so cheap?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I've always shot .223 and it is getting too expensive. I'd love to get a 5.45x39 upper if they aren't too expensive.

Or I may just get a Ciener 22 kit.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What's the story on 5.45 x 39. Is SW the only company that makes 5.45x39 uppers? Where can you get them and will they fit a standard 5.56 lower? Where do you get the ammo and why is it so cheap?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I've always shot .223 and it is getting too expensive. I'd love to get a 5.45x39 upper if they aren't too expensive.

Or I may just get a Ciener 22 kit.

I've got a Ciener kit, it works very well. Still, I would not mind picking up a dedicated 22 upper.

As for the 5.45x39, I'm personally very wary of that one simply because of Obama. Realize that this is military surplus stuff, no domestic source, and it is cheap now because the demand is fairly low. However, it should be noted that an Obama administration can, WITHOUT SENDING ANYTHING THROUGH CONGRESS, use the Hillary Clinton State Department to stop all non-sporting ammo from being imported. That alone is reason for me to stay away from this caliber. What good is an upper if there is no reliable source for ammo?

Now if you want the upper, and don't mind storing 10,000 rounds, well then . . . :ar15:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    My xcr has run 970 ish rounds without cleaning so far (as of 2 week ago). Tell your friends I'll buy it. Really, or take it as a Xmas present. On a regular AR... keep the chambers clean. There is no way around it, they demand it. I had a NM M1A shooting steel cased barnaul and if I did not keep the chamber nice n' shiny (around the 150 round mark) the heated chamber would lock up the steel (spent) casing. I had it happen twice until I realized what the deal was. tighter chamber HAD to stay clean or else friction would run its course.

For all I know...

OK, someone mentioned the Wolf .223 on here. What do you guys have to say about it? 2 different guys told me they would never buy it again due to jamming. Both were shooting in AR weapons.
    I almost bought a case at Bradis today but remembered my two friends dissapointment with it. And one of them really had a hard time getting it out! Not just a mere inconvenience.

What say you, dear reader/user?

Top Bottom