• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've been thinking of doing this. What is the approx. cost? and are the any special tools needed?

TIA.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've been thinking of doing this. What is the approx. cost? and are the any special tools needed?

TIA.

You will need an action block and a barrel nut wrench to install the barrel. I used a punch to hold the trigger and hammer in the lower receiver to help install the pins. I used pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the end to install most of the lower receiver.

Don and White_Wolfe helped me with the barrel since i didnt have a action block or barrel nut wrench. I am going to get both of those at the gun show though.

madmanblake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Muncie
    You only need special tools if you plan on installing or swapping a barrel or a collapsible stock. If you use a complete upper (from vendors like Model 1, Del-ton, Cmmg, m&a, dpms, etc. etc. or used like the A1s going around now) and a fixed stock no problems.

One word of caution about lower parts kits - the DPMS ones have cheesy plastic mag release buttons which are JUNK. they advertise the metal ones on their website as (ALUMINUM NOT PLASTIC) then they put the plastic one in the kit. I would call and tell them to switch the plastic one out - I'd think they would. I would hope. but I would also hope they'd put it in in the first place.

R&B Precision in Illinois sells a lower parts kit (rock river?) which they will customize to your liking (i.e. they'll leave out the trigger group if you're going to use a fancy trigger, etc.) and they are reasonably priced. they also include an extra detent - ask me how I know.:):

This is another area where the Type 3 FFL (Curio&Relic) comes in handy - you get nice discounts from Brownell's, MidwayUSA, DPMS, PrecisionReflex, and so far almost everywhere I've asked. $10/year saves lots of money!

Blake

Last edited:
    Top Bottom