jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Updated photo of my main shooter.

DSC00024.jpg

M&P15 Upper and Lower. Started life as an OR upper and has had a few iterations since. CWood installed the 11" Troy free float handguard.

Other specs:
    MOE+ Grip
    CTR
    Troy 2 point sling
    Troy Battle Sights.
    Aimpoint Comp ML2 4MOA in LaRue Mount
    BCM Gunfighter "medium" charging handle.

I really like this handguard. Lightweight, and the smaller diameter allows for a little more overhanded "Magpul" style grip. Prior to that I had a extended carbine rail on this rifle full of XTM's + and AFG. It felt very front heavy and bulky with that set up. This seems to put the balance point back closer to the front takedown pin, even with the front mounted light. I haven't shot any continuous strings of fire to see how it does with heat, so that will be something to test when it gets warmer this spring summer.

I think I will leave the gun a lone for a while. I realize that is pretty much impossible, as I have EBR pretty bad as well as a chronic case of Tinker-itis. I may consider a new optic for the rifle, such as a Aimpoint Micro or similar to go with the slimmer, lighter weight theme of the rifle now.

I wish I would have weighed it in some of its past configurations, but I'm guessing I've taken about a pound out of it with this latest configuration.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Edit*
    Final config will be a 18" Wilson Combat Match Barrel in .204 Ruger, A2 buttstock, free float tube fore end. Not sure on glass yet. Thought about the Nikon M-223 3-12x42 or a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12x40.

Prob end up changing out the grip, butt stock, and maybe the fore end by the time all is said and done. I'll also have to see how well I like the RRA NM trigger.

All I'm going for is a simple .204 Ruger varmint rifle.

Last edited:

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    Build in progress.
    Del-Ton upper
    Surplus Ammo and arms lower
    Magpul stock
    Magpul trigger guard
    UTG Quad rail
    UTG Rear sight

IMG_6927.jpg

And it's baby brother.

IMG_8744.jpg

Last edited:

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    I want to get a quad rail. I love the MOE handguards but accessories are limited. I don't want to hand a bunch of crap of my gun but it would be nice to have a flashlight and a AFG.

Depending on what you are looking to spend, Daniel Defense makes very nice quad rails. They are a litte pricy but really are worth the money. just my :twocents:

MrYesterday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Evansville
    I got a UTG quad rail with 12 covers for $40. It's just as sturdy as any I've seen, maybe a bit heavier. But I think it's a great deal.

IMG_2819.jpg

Then there's this free float rail for $60 that I may put on my next build. I may even go with the rifle length rail.

Evike.com Airsoft Guns - External Parts | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - RIS/RAS/Rails | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - M4/M16 RIS/RAS | Evike.com Airsoft Guns - AIM Sports AR Carbine Length Free Float Quad Rail for M4 / M16 Series Airsoft AEG w/ Covers |

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I want to get a quad rail. I love the MOE handguards but accessories are limited. I don't want to hand a bunch of crap of my gun but it would be nice to have a flashlight and a AFG.

I would skip the AFG on the carbine handguard as well. With it mounted that close to the lower, it actually put my wrist and hand in a more uncomfortable position than with a magwell grip or traditional grip on the handguard. The

AFG was designed for a grip with the support arm in a more extended position, meaning the AFG would be placed farther out on the barrel. Not that it can't be done on a carbine, but its advantages are not as great. If you don't like the grip on the carbine, maybe a vertical MOE grip would be the way to go. That can be accomplished without adding a quad rail.

The light mount that Mike posted is the way to go to have a practical light on your practical carbine.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I would skip the AFG on the carbine handguard as well. With it mounted that close to the lower, it actually put my wrist and hand in a more uncomfortable position than with a magwell grip or traditional grip on the handguard. The

AFG was designed for a grip with the support arm in a more extended position, meaning the AFG would be placed farther out on the barrel. Not that it can't be done on a carbine, but its advantages are not as great. If you don't like the grip on the carbine, maybe a vertical MOE grip would be the way to go. That can be accomplished without adding a quad rail.

The light mount that Mike posted is the way to go to have a practical light on your practical carbine.

I have one of those MVGs just cant figure out how to get the dang thing on. The reason I want a light is because I might be doing some night hunting for coyotes and the range I shoot at is indoors and dark

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Now I have run into the problem of the evil delta ring. I got the handguards off installed the MVG and put the top one on. Now the botttom one is stuck half way on

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom