• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    yea i have come across quite a few posts about improving the basics of shooting and watching some videos and reading the TM's put out by the marines is gonna be my advice everytime. yea it may seem foreign to some at first, like "what is snapping in" but that stuff is what makes a marine such a great marksman.

Targets... targets..... get my target high in the sky!..... lets go on the little end.. get it up... lol

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Regarding iron sights:
    ALWAYS focus on the front sight, you may shoot well focusing somewhere other than it, but you will shoot better focusing on it.
    Sight picture depends on whether you are shooting a blade or aperture. With an aperture, provided that you are zeroed, the POI is always center regardless of the perceived size of the target. With a blade, there are a number of sight pictures used with great results. The most common are 6 o'clock, com and reverse flat. Center of mass requires better eyesight than the others but eliminates the need to adjust your sights for target size/perceived size. Think lights up, sights up. The 6 o'clock and reverse flat hold require that your sights be adjusted so that the impact is a certain distance from your point of aim.
    If you believe your front sight is too thick, buy or make a thinner one.
    For three position shooting, snapping in is always recommended. Even if you aren't familiar with the proper positions it will help to stretch the muscles and tendons that normally aren't.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    20110911132329-1.jpg

Hey, I'm considering buying that exact same upper from PSA. Is that three shot group that's basically one ragged hole the norm for that upper? I'd love to hear anything you have to say about that upper as I've been giving it a lot of thought.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    What groups are you guys shooting with iron sights only at 50 and 100yds? I shot my ar for the first time today. I only have iron sights right now, also a first for me. I shot a 6" group of 30rds @ 50yds. I didn't think it was terrible but not the best. How bad did I do?
    Not trying to sound like a Mr. knowitall, but a 6" group at fifty yards, with an AR, is not all that good. I would work on finding out what the issue is.:twocents:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's the only "proof" I see on here. I know you and your work, so your word is golden. Everything else is just talk.

BTW - Did you see that 10 lb bass I caught last year, noodled bare handed? Oops, didn't get any pics...:D

hahaha next time i go shoot i will save some targets for this necessary proof.. but then again someone will be complaining about how they werent there to witness it and your 10lbs noodled bass will turning into a 20pounder :):

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    :laugh:
    Lets see some of those MOA iron sight targets!
    Is LPman59 the only one to back up his talk with proof?:):

other than Leo stating that MOA during some match competition isnt unheard of, who else has "talked them selves up" with MOA iron sight accuracy? did i miss something here

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Hey, I'm considering buying that exact same upper from PSA. Is that three shot group that's basically one ragged hole the norm for that upper? I'd love to hear anything you have to say about that upper as I've been giving it a lot of thought.

hey teddy,

Let me start off with saying that I am an amateur shooter on my best day. :): The 3 shot group was just one hole. The most mind-blowing thing for me was that those were the very first 3 shots I fired out of the upper. I slapped on the MBUS and took her out to zero it....when I looked through my binocs and saw that, i don't think I've ever been so pleased with a firearm. It really goes to show you what a rifle can do.

So far I have no complaints about the upper. The feed ramps looked good and the bolt was properly staked out of the box. I hope to some day take it out to longer distances, but I'm sure I'll only disappoint myself. :laugh:

But so far I am very pleased with my PSA.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    hey teddy,

Let me start off with saying that I am an amateur shooter on my best day. :): The 3 shot group was just one hole. The most mind-blowing thing for me was that those were the very first 3 shots I fired out of the upper. I slapped on the MBUS and took her out to zero it....when I looked through my binocs and saw that, i don't think I've ever been so pleased with a firearm. It really goes to show you what a rifle can do.

So far I have no complaints about the upper. The feed ramps looked good and the bolt was properly staked out of the box. I hope to some day take it out to longer distances, but I'm sure I'll only disappoint myself. :laugh:

But so far I am very pleased with my PSA.

That's great! Just so I'm clear, I'm assuming you didn't buy the 16" mid length rifle kit, you just bought the upper right? I'd love to know exactly what upper you bought. I've been watching the uppers on their website for a while now because they had two 16" stainless free floated uppers on there and I wanted to buy one. I sent an email to them today actually asking about when they will have the stainless uppers back in stock. I'm looking forward to seeing how long it's going to take them to get back with me with an answer.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I personally like the iron sights. I've had three AR's and that's all I've ever used. That's not bad shooting.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I personally like the iron sights. I've had three AR's and that's all I've ever used. That's not bad shooting.

funny thing is, I am becoming that way. when i bought my first AR, i was all about RDSs and my ACOG. But the more I shoot, the more I like to see what i can do with the irons.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm getting that way myself. There's a place for red dots, scopes, and whatever else, but theres just something solid about pulling up iron sights and ringing steel targets with them.

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Not trying to sound like a Mr. knowitall, but a 6" group at fifty yards, with an AR, is not all that good. I would work on finding out what the issue is.:twocents:

Hence why I started a thread asking for advice. Thanks for the tips everyone. Hopefully I'll get some more range time this month.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sirs, You don't have to worry about Litlrat not being able to shoot with Iron sights. That number on his signature line is his Competitor number for National Match Highpower rifle shooting. I can assure you he has posted 100's of sub 1 MOA groups in registered competition at the State, regonal and national levels. For an example of a decent group with cheap "dogtown" hunting bullets, see the photos in my album. I started that group from the prone position (no artificial support) with a bone stock, iron sighted, Bushmaster DCM. My windage was way off and it took about 4 clicks of windage to walk the group onto the 3 inch sticker, or the group would have been smaller. That is an empty .223 case on the target to give you an idea of group size. I have always found that Sierra MatchKings gave groups about 1/2 the size of hunting bullets. As far as my best on the record books, I shot a 100 with 10X's at the state of Ohio championship at 200 yard rapid fire with a service rifle in 2002. In every shooting discipline, there is coffee house greatness and sanctioned, recorded greatness. Litlrat can back up anything he says.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Dealt with the USMC marksmanship training for 4 years, never got too good at shooting. My skills improved dramaticly once I discovered dime drills while snappin in. It does require an assistant though.

Top Bottom