• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm in the midst of a debate on which route to go for a .22LR conversion for my DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 16" lite.

My two choices right now are:

DPMS .22LR dedicated upper for $420
    :dunno:
    CMMG .22LR conversion for $220

The upside of having a dedicated upper is primarily so that my standard .223/5.56 upper won't get fowled up by any .22 rounds. The downside is that I would be unable to practice with the setup on my standard upper. (quad rail, vertical grip, EOTech).

On the other hand, if I get a CMMG .22LR conversion, not only am I obviously saving money but I can practice with my standard upper setup.

My questions are:

• Are .22R through a .223 barrel significantly less accurate?
    • Will .22LR rounds mess up my .223 upper in any way or are they simply more dirty? (i'm assuming I oughta only use copper-plated .22 ammo)
    • How reliable is the CMMG conversion?

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The upside of having a dedicated upper is primarily so that my standard .223/5.56 upper won't get fowled up by any .22 rounds.

Its not that big of a deal. If this was your primary concern, go with the conversion bolt and save some money.

• Are .22R through a .223 barrel significantly less accurate?
    Depends on your intended purpose, and how much accuracy you need. 0-50 yards its a minimal difference.

If your priority is accuracy, a dedicated upper/barrel is best.

• Will .22LR rounds mess up my .223 upper in any way or are they simply more dirty? (i'm assuming I oughta only use copper-plated .22 ammo)
    It will be a bit dirtier, depending on ammo used. Best practice is to simply run 5 or 6 rounds of full-power 5.56 thru it after a session using the conversion.

• How reliable is the CMMG conversion?

Like any .22, mine prefers some ammo to others.

Here are some links that might help you in your search:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3635-review_cmmg_ar_15_22_conversion_kit.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rt_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial_up_warning.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...versions_and_dedicated_22_rifles_part_ii.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rt_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial_up_warning.html

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    And look around for pring on the conversion kits. I think they are worth the $220 you quoted, but can be found for quite a bit less. I think I found my Spike's unit through the Classifieds for $150, after a few weeks of looking. Out to 50yrds, as esrice said, it is as accurate as my Marlin 795, which is to say the holes will cloverleaf if you do your part. I haven't shot mine for groups at 100 yrds, but I would believe the dedicated upper would outshoot it - but the upcharge is pretty dramatic to do so.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Buy just the conversion first. Try it and see if it suits your needs. If you decide later on that you'd prefer a dedicated upper, you can buy a barrel with dedicated collar, blank upper of your choice, and handguards and then build a dedicated from it.

klrbear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    I have a dedicated CMMG upper that is set up exactly like my 556 AR 15. I really like the way it shoots but I will probably get a conversion kit to keep with my AR for cheap plinking without having to haul around a second rifle.

Top Bottom