Approached by officer while open carry (NE Ft Wayne)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As is the norm for me the last month I removed my CC rig and switched to my OC holster as I left the office to run my errands and go home. The wife asked me to pick up chinese carry-out from Peking restaurant in Georgetown (NE Ft Wayne). As I was getting ready to leave with my carry-out, I was approached by a uniformed police officer. He just casually walked up to the counter while I was paying for my food.
    Officer: “Hi there, do you have a permit for your firearm?”
    Me: “Yes, I have it in on me right now; would you like to see it?”
    Officer: “No thanks, but why do you open carry instead of keeping it concealed? A lot of people are intimidated when they see someone carrying a firearm or make you a target for someone wanting to take it away from you”
    Me: “I carry openly as a way of exercising my right, and as a deterrent to violent crime against myself or my family.”
    Officer: “I think to carry concealed would be smarter as it gives you the element of surprise.”
    Me: “I don’t agree, a deterrent would help avoid a violent crime and relying on the element of surprise is only a reaction to something that has already happened. If that was true you would have undercover officers in banks and not uniformed officers, right?”
    Officer: “I disagree”
    Me: "okay, thanks for your time. Have a nice evening" and I turned and walked out.

When I walked in I passed a few people and there were a few customers, one of which called the police soon after leaving or watching me enter.

The officer was a nice guy and seemed to be aware of IN handgun laws; just doing his duty. I have been curious as to how the first encounter with PD would go as I’m pretty much guaranteed to be confronted about it from time to time. I hope the next one goes as smooth.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Sounds to me like nothing to complain about.

He followed up on a report of MWAG. Talked briefly with you on a subject that he felt would make his job easier and maybe he truly believes you would be safer by CC'ing in a respectful manner and you both went on about your business.

Sounds like a reasonable interaction to me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That's like a textbook version of how it should happen (although it would be nice if it didn't happen at all). Well done sir.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Sounds like he was respectful.

I personally don't use the "I'm exercising my right to OC" argument. I say something more practical like "It's more comfortable." or "It is easier to get to if I need it." or "It's a visible deterrent."

To each their own, though! We live in a free country and don't need to justify being free! :rockwoot:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Handled very well by you and the officer. The sheeple that called the cops, did not handle the situation very well though.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Looks to me like it was well-handled. I'm surprised, considering the officer was a Ft. Wayne officer. Not the most carry-friendly department, but as this interaction shows, not every officer in that department is an idiot.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I've always wondered why policeman use the argument that OC only invites crime when they OC themselves.

I mean, it's obvious that they are dressed to be a visible deterrent to crime. It works.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've always wondered why policeman use the argument that OC only invites crime when they OC themselves

"You're right, officer! I never thought about how open carrying attracts crime. Then for officer safety I will move the city council to disarm all law enforcement officers at once--in the name of officer safety."

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sounds like a decent interaction. Two adults carrying out a resonable conversation and expressing their opinions on both sides of the issue. Just proves that there's no need to kick up the dirt and get all hardcore. :yesway:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    For police, the gun doesn't deter crime as much as the radio does. ;)

Well, really, the proximity of a police officer is what is the deterrent. IME, most violent crimes are gauged in part by the police response-time. The gun is basically superfluous.

As for the OP, nicely handled. Once on-scene, the officer has to do SOMETHING, so might as well engage in conversation. :)

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    ...I personally don't use the "I'm exercising my right to OC" argument. I say something more practical like "It's more comfortable." or "It is easier to get to if I need it." or "It's a visible deterrent."....

In hindsight I would've said something different. Next time I'll probably do as you stated. "Its much easier & faster to get to if I need to".

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've always wondered why policeman use the argument that OC only invites crime when they OC themselves.

I mean, it's obvious that they are dressed to be a visible deterrent to crime. It works.

The police OC because everyone knows he/she is armed anyway. People expect them to be carrying. I think the reference to "inviting crime" is in the context of someone shooting an OC'er during a robbery to take out a threat, or to rob them of their gun. I've only heard of one situation where an OC'er was robbed of their gun, so I don't really put much stock into that argument. I CC off-duty because it's my preference just like some folks OC because it's their preference. I don't believe that any of the OC confrontations posted here on INGO are instigated by gun enthusiasts, but rather people who hate guns. The only reason these confrontations occur is because the gun is visible and triggers their irrational fear/dislike. In that regard, I don't think it's so much about the person OC'ing as it is about the person carrying in the first place. If the blue haired old lady saw the shirt ride up on a CC'er to expose the handgun I'm sure she would still cause trouble. What I'm trying to say is that the issue is the gun, not the method of carry. Gun enthusiasts on INGO may argue the topic of CC vs. OC to death, but I doubt it's the CC folks who are the ones calling in the MWAG calls. :twocents:

TriggerWork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    In hindsight I would've said something different. Next time I'll probably do as you stated. "Its much easier & faster to get to if I need to".

This has always been my thought as well. That encounter seemed to be very tolerable, if only all law enforcement had that mindset (respect).

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    +2 Sounds like an appropriate encounter by both parties.

Officers cary a boatload of stuff on their "toolbelts." It goes beyond just open carrying a gun. BTW - The IRS doesn't buy into classifying LEO guns as "tools."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should have gotten the officer's name and called his commander to let him know about your positive encounter.

Top Bottom