• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    That didn't take long! Best of luck and keep us posted on your new career path!

Thank you! I appreciate it! I’ll mention you guys in a comment if everything pans out. I am a lucky dog sometimes. This only happened someone I didn’t know telling me to call the BA. After the conversation he wanted to schedule me for the drug test. I’m excited and hopeful!

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wow thank you for putting that into perspective for me. I haven’t seen many opportunities for apprenticeships at actual companies so I’ve been gunning for a union. I had no idea it worked like that. I’m assuming you worked for a union rather than a company correct? Which do you think is more worthwhile? I suppose it depends on personal preference.

11 counties sounds like a huge area but in the end it sounds like it was worth it for you. I think I planned on going the union route and becoming a journeyman. I think I’d enjoy that. I just wonder why some would rather work for a company.

I plan on stopping by some halls whenever possible to learn about their hiring processes. I plan on taking notes to stay organized. Thanks again!!
    You don’t work for a union, you are a member of a union. You work for the company whose job you are sent to. But you have your own freedom. You do an honest days work for an honest day’s pay. You have an agreement with all other tradesmen that you will preform only the work that is assigned to your trade during contract negotiations.

If a company is signatory to a union contract, all of there field employees are union members, per contract. Not office management.

Company men are generally not wed to the fine points of the union contract as much as a guy that works out of the hall. So if only company men are on the job you will see tradesmen doing things that are forbidden by contract. Such as an electrician running heavy equipment. A no no. Not so if you are honorable to your union, and the agreement you made. But not if your loyalty lyes to the company. You do what they say, not what you agreed to in your contract. The choice is up to you. You can be your own man….or you can be a prostitute, to put it politely. OK, that should get me in enough trouble for now. Best of luck in your endeavors, choose wisely.

Reactions: l11

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fair point. Once she finishes school we can plan getting married and decide when to have kids. My friends are starting to have kids and I hear it is tough!
    It is the toughest job you'll ever love and the whole point to LIVING. You'll wonder what you ever did with the rest of your life before you had kids.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You don’t work for a union, you are a member of a union. You work for the company whose job you are sent to. But you have your own freedom. You do an honest days work for an honest day’s pay. You have an agreement with all other tradesmen that you will preform only the work that is assigned to your trade during contract negotiations.

If a company is signatory to a union contract, all of there field employees are union members, per contract. Not office management.

Company men are generally not wed to the fine points of the union contract as much as a guy that works out of the hall. So if only company men are on the job you will see tradesmen doing things that are forbidden by contract. Such as an electrician running heavy equipment. A no no. Not so if you are honorable to your union, and the agreement you made. But not if your loyalty lyes to the company. You do what they say, not what you agreed to in your contract. The choice is up to you. You can be your own man….or you can be a prostitute, to put it politely. OK, that should get me in enough trouble for now. Best of luck in your endeavors, choose wisely.
    If only it were that cut n dried.

There are going to be some, no matter where you go. Your word is good, or not, in either bunch.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    If only it were that cut n dried.

There are going to be some, no matter where you go. Your word is good, or not, in either bunch.
    Yep, but this is the www. I’m typing with one finger on a I-pad. I have to hit the hi points. Don’t have the where with all to type twenty pages of in depth info. Just doing the best I can. But again you are 100% correct.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom