• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    They are not as common a trade from what I've seen. We have only had brickies in one factory I ever worked in. A lot of places, millwrights to that work if it is needed.

Do you have your private messages on? Can we even send private messages here?
    Yes my private messages are on. On my end I can start a conversation

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I personally would avoid anything to do with concrete or brick work, it will make you old before your time
    Good point. It must be satisfying to see my process but it may not be worth my health. I wonder how in demand that trade is

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I do natural gas mains and services.
    All the work I do gets buried and hardly anyone sees the finished job, which sucks cause I've done some killer offsets. I can point out a few risers or patches in the road to yo though

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I do natural gas mains and services.
    All the work I do gets buried and hardly anyone sees the finished job, which sucks cause I've done some killer offsets. I can point out a few risers or patches in the road to yo though
    Damn what a shame hahaha. At least you have the satisfaction knowing you did that!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What do you guys think of bricklayers? Someone told me to stop by their hall and speak to the BA. I didn’t consider it initially as it wasn’t my preferred trade, but I wanted some opinions

It's hard work and there's not a lot of versatility. Fairly seasonal as well. Compare to, say, an electrician. New construction to remodel to factory maintenance work, lots of options. Commercial, residential, industrial, even shipbuilding and the like. Less weather dependent. Wire doesn't need a certain temperature to set and you're typically under roof.

Again, mostly an outsider view and I haven't been on a construction site for roughly 20 years, but I'd lean electrical, plumbing, and maybe HVAC if I was young and starting out. None of those are easy to replace with giant 3D printing machines, are technical enough you aren't fighting hordes of illegals driving down wages, and are fairly well expected to have work year round regardless of weather.

Reactions: l11

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    It's hard work and there's not a lot of versatility. Fairly seasonal as well. Compare to, say, an electrician. New construction to remodel to factory maintenance work, lots of options. Commercial, residential, industrial, even shipbuilding and the like. Less weather dependent. Wire doesn't need a certain temperature to set and you're typically under roof.

Again, mostly an outsider view and I haven't been on a construction site for roughly 20 years, but I'd lean electrical, plumbing, and maybe HVAC if I was young and starting out. None of those are easy to replace with giant 3D printing machines, are technical enough you aren't fighting hordes of illegals driving down wages, and are fairly well expected to have work year round regardless of weather.

I was worried about the versatility and thinking bricklaying might get boring. Thank you for putting that into perspective. Being an electrician seems interesting I just don’t recall my math grades from high school. They require certain grades or completion of a $200 math course. The cost isn’t an issue but I’m wondering what the time investment is. I guess it might be worth it.

I find plumbing to be cool but human waste makes me gag. I assume I’d get used to it though. It would also be very useful to know. Maybe HVAC. I find all things maintenance and repairs to be fascinating so it’s hard to pick. Beggars can’t be choosers I suppose. Year round work is what I’m looking for thanks!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    the 150 for Indiana goes from noble co to Illinois. but the whole 150 area goes to Iowa. the training site is in Illinois. contact them

one down side to construction is winters off so plan ahead. there are some what work year round so it depends on what you do
    No winters off in The Elevator Trade.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was worried about the versatility and thinking bricklaying might get boring. Thank you for putting that into perspective. Being an electrician seems interesting I just don’t recall my math grades from high school. They require certain grades or completion of a $200 math course. The cost isn’t an issue but I’m wondering what the time investment is. I guess it might be worth it.

I find plumbing to be cool but human waste makes me gag. I assume I’d get used to it though. It would also be very useful to know. Maybe HVAC. I find all things maintenance and repairs to be fascinating so it’s hard to pick. Beggars can’t be choosers I suppose. Year round work is what I’m looking for thanks!

My neighbor is a commercial HVAC guy. The nice thing about it is you learn some of everything and you're in high demand.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Personally with electrics I would talk to my son to get into the control end of being an electrician or robotics controls and programing, within manufacturing plants. Its lighter, smarter, better, longer career work, that many jobs will be in an HVAC building.
    And if hes a sharp kid, send him to talk to the business agent at Local 34's office.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    My advice there is, wait until you are married. Then don't wait any longer.
    Fair point. Once she finishes school we can plan getting married and decide when to have kids. My friends are starting to have kids and I hear it is tough!

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Had to read all 5 pages before I posted, to make sure I was lined up.

24 yrs. Building and Trades Union member here.

A couple points. There are two kind of tradesmen, company men, guys that work for one company there whole career. And guy’s that only work out of the hall. The company men generally speaking are loyal to there company. The guy’s that work out of the hall work for their self.

If you’re good at your craft you can travel, my card says international on it. If your not good you “have” to travel no one local will hire you.

I’m retired from two careers, my union pension is great. Set up so my wife will get the same payments I’m getting now for her life, even after I’m long gone. The other benefits were great as long as I worked enough hrs. per year to qualify, it’s easy.

My local was 11 counties so I always had to drive somewhere. Never take a ride from someone else, you may not like the job or the company or the boss, you can tell them to GTH and pay me off (drag up, quit) and head to your truck. Back to the hall and go out on another job.

If you want to be your own man, there is nothing better than the trades, and no better opportunity for it.

The IBEW posts an add in the paper once a year for apprenticeship near me. I’m sure others have similar callouts, stop by a union hall and ask them how they recruit. Don’t let politics get in the way of your well-being. Good luck.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Had to read all 5 pages before I posted, to make sure I was lined up.

24 yrs. Building and Trades Union member here.

A couple points. There are two kind of tradesmen, company men, guys that work for one company there whole career. And guy’s that only work out of the hall. The company men generally speaking are loyal to there company. The guy’s that work out of the hall work for their self.

If you’re good at your craft you can travel, my card says international on it. If your not good you “have” to travel no one local will hire you.

I’m retired from two careers, my union pension is great. Set up so my wife will get the same payments I’m getting now for her life, even after I’m long gone. The other benefits were great as long as I worked enough hrs. per year to qualify, it’s easy.

My local was 11 counties so I always had to drive somewhere. Never take a ride from someone else, you may not like the job or the company or the boss, you can tell them to GTH and pay me off (drag up, quit) and head to your truck. Back to the hall and go out on another job.

If you want to be your own man, there is nothing better than the trades, and no better opportunity for it.

The IBEW posts an add in the paper once a year for apprenticeship near me. I’m sure others have similar callouts, stop by a union hall and ask them how they recruit. Don’t let politics get in the way of your well-being. Good luck.
    Wow thank you for putting that into perspective for me. I haven’t seen many opportunities for apprenticeships at actual companies so I’ve been gunning for a union. I had no idea it worked like that. I’m assuming you worked for a union rather than a company correct? Which do you think is more worthwhile? I suppose it depends on personal preference.

11 counties sounds like a huge area but in the end it sounds like it was worth it for you. I think I planned on going the union route and becoming a journeyman. I think I’d enjoy that. I just wonder why some would rather work for a company.

I plan on stopping by some halls whenever possible to learn about their hiring processes. I plan on taking notes to stay organized. Thanks again!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom