• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We were just in a 5' deep 10'x10' hole in a shore box welding stoppers on 12" dia live gas main with 190# of pressure flowing through it
    Yea, we were a few blocks down the street sitting on a parapet wall about 60 stories up eating lunch. We were disappointed that no fireworks happened that day.
    You guys could've made the national news.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With the understanding I'm on the outside looking in:

My dad's generation, getting in a trade union was difficult if you didn't know someone/have a sponsor. Dad worked both union and non-union, equipment operator and carpenter. Union worked required him to move around a lot, like move to a different state for 2-4 years, repeat.

My son's generation, he's being actively recruited by the union and says on jobs with non-union and union employees they all get constantly recruited. Once you have a year or two under your belt as a helper, it seems like it's pretty easy to switch over if you want. Note you can get your journeyman *then* switch over as well. At least locally and for electrical work, there's enough work that he's not traveled much other than short trips to neighboring states.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI

My dad's generation, getting in a trade union was difficult if you didn't know someone/have a sponsor. Dad worked both union and non-union, equipment operator and carpenter. Union worked required him to move around a lot, like move to a different state for 2-4 years, repeat.

My son's generation, he's being actively recruited by the union and says on jobs with non-union and union employees they all get constantly recruited. Once you have a year or two under your belt as a helper, it seems like it's pretty easy to switch over if you want. Note you can get your journeyman *then* switch over as well. At least locally and for electrical work, there's enough work that he's not traveled much other than short trips to neighboring states.

Interesting. Moving around a lot doesn’t sound too fun. Most helper jobs I’ve seen pay less than 20 an hour so it would be tough to pay the bills without overtime so, I will continue searching. The end goal is journeyman. I wish I had started this path sooner but it is what it is. Thank you for the insight!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Generally a good place to work in most trades is the repair / maintenance dept over the construction side. Construction goes up and down, Maintenance is steady work.

Most Trade Unions have no issues bring in from the non union companies to gain worthwhile employees. Some even get a shortcut to a Union Journeyman-ship.
    I dont believe at least in the Elevator Trade, Union men leaving the Union and going and working non union have the option of being able to go back and then work Union again. I never have heard of it or saw it done in my years working. After you left you would have charges brought against you buy your Local / International and the fines would be unbelievable.
    The Elevator Union Trade is small and one has to work at getting in, sometimes one might have to move just to get a job and once they have a Union Card can put in for a transfer to what Local they would like to work out of.

If one chooses to work in the non union elevator trade if they are sharp and worthy the Local Union Business Agent with be told about them. And quite often the Business Agent will seek them out and discuss some options that might be available to them to come and work Union.

Reactions: l11

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Interesting. Moving around a lot doesn’t sound too fun. Most helper jobs I’ve seen pay less than 20 an hour so it would be tough to pay the bills without overtime so, I will continue searching. The end goal is journeyman. I wish I had started this path sooner but it is what it is. Thank you for the insight!!

Yeah, that's the rub for guys who are trying to transition careers. If you've already started a family, accumulated debt, etc. it can be tough. It's a short term suck for a long term gain, though. If it makes you feel any better I took a roughly 80% pay cut to return to the US and stop traveling. No health insurance, worked 3 part time jobs while going to school trying to finish by bachelor's. Did that for just over a year until I got on the PD and into a real job full time again. It's doable. Bank up a nest egg, dump any non-consumer debt, be prepared to pick up side jobs and gut it out.

Or, you'll fall off a roof, break something important, and die broke and alone. You know, one of those. :D

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Yeah, that's the rub for guys who are trying to transition careers. If you've already started a family, accumulated debt, etc. it can be tough. It's a short term suck for a long term gain, though. If it makes you feel any better I took a roughly 80% pay cut to return to the US and stop traveling. No health insurance, worked 3 part time jobs while going to school trying to finish by bachelor's. Did that for just over a year until I got on the PD and into a real job full time again. It's doable. Bank up a nest egg, dump any non-consumer debt, be prepared to pick up side jobs and gut it out.

Or, you'll fall off a roof, break something important, and die broke and alone. You know, one of those. :D

Hahahaha I cannot die broke. If I can find somewhere with OT I’ll be ok. I don’t have kids yet thankfully but, I’m definitely used to the amount of money I make. But, like you said it’s for the long term gain.

I know that must have been tough to work the 3 part time jobs and going to school. Respect. I’ll do what I have to do for as long as I have to

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Generally a good place to work in most trades is the repair / maintenance dept over the construction side. Construction goes up and down, Maintenance is steady work.

Most Trade Unions have no issues bring in from the non union companies to gain worthwhile employees. Some even get a shortcut to a Union Journeyman-ship.
    I dont believe at least in the Elevator Trade, Union men leaving the Union and going and working non union have the option of being able to go back and then work Union again. I never have heard of it or saw it done in my years working. After you left you would have charges brought against you buy your Local / International and the fines would be unbelievable.
    The Elevator Union Trade is small and one has to work at getting in, sometimes one might have to move just to get a job and once they have a Union Card can put in for a transfer to what Local they would like to work out of.

If one chooses to work in the non union elevator trade if they are sharp and worthy the Local Union Business Agent with be told about them. And quite often the Business Agent will seek them out and discuss some options that might be available to them to come and work Union.
    That’s interesting. Having worked in restaurants my whole life I always thought I should have got into maintenance work. The maintenance guys definitely make more than I do as a GM.

I wonder how Local Union Business Agents find out about people that are non union to recruit them :scratch:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That’s interesting. Having worked in restaurants my whole life I always thought I should have got into maintenance work. The maintenance guys definitely make more than I do as a GM.

I wonder how Local Union Business Agents find out about people that are non union to recruit them :scratch:
    Union and non union guys and girls see other in the same trades in the field, supply houses, restaurants having a meal, bars and so fourth. Conversations start. Those bring what they know about others to their Locals Business Agent.

Reactions: l11

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know that must have been tough to work the 3 part time jobs and going to school. Respect. I’ll do what I have to do for as long as I have to

Well, at the time it sucked. Looking back on it...it sucked. Days with an armored car company, nights with the sheriff's dept, evening classes, weekends doing carpentry and "flying naked" with no health insurance on me, my wife, or infant son. But, I had a decent amount of savings, a very light mortgage thanks to having a nice down payment, and I could walk to my night job a block away. It would honestly be tougher today, the wages for part timers haven't changed that much but cost of livings sure AF has.

Glad I did it, though. I wanted my son to grow up somewhere without moving all over hell and half acre constantly.

4-5 years down the road, you'll be glad you did it to. But it'll suck.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hahahaha I cannot die broke. If I can find somewhere with OT I’ll be ok. I don’t have kids yet thankfully but, I’m definitely used to the amount of money I make. But, like you said it’s for the long term gain.

The apprenticeships I served, the apprentice didn't get ANY OT until ALL the Journeymen were offered it first. I wouldn't want to be dependent on over time to make it during an apprenticeship..

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Well, at the time it sucked. Looking back on it...it sucked. Days with an armored car company, nights with the sheriff's dept, evening classes, weekends doing carpentry and "flying naked" with no health insurance on me, my wife, or infant son. But, I had a decent amount of savings, a very light mortgage thanks to having a nice down payment, and I could walk to my night job a block away. It would honestly be tougher today, the wages for part timers haven't changed that much but cost of livings sure AF has.

Glad I did it, though. I wanted my son to grow up somewhere without moving all over hell and half acre constantly.

4-5 years down the road, you'll be glad you did it to. But it'll suck.
    It was hard but you did it! We always want our kids to live better lives than we do. It may suck but I will prevail

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    The apprenticeships I served, the apprentice didn't get ANY OT until ALL the Journeymen were offered it first. I wouldn't want to be dependent on over time to make it during an apprenticeship..
    That makes sense. It’s only fair that they get offered OT first. I wouldn’t depend on over time thankfully but, taking a huge pay cut would hurt my feelings :crying:

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    No chance on moving up where you're at?

It’s possible but not within the next few years more than likely. In March my old company shut down 25+ stores. Mine was one of the affected. No open stores so I had to take severance.

The next step is district manager. They likely have people lined up for that. I don’t gain anything from working in restaurants. It’s a rat race and I’m tired of working in bad neighborhoods. Dealing with crazy people and crack heads is not fun

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That makes sense. It’s only fair that they get offered OT first. I wouldn’t depend on over time thankfully but, taking a huge pay cut would hurt my feelings :crying:
    If you have feelings, may be you just aren't cut out for an apprenticeship.

I KNOW they are not all alike but one I served was more like a 4 year Navy boot camp than anything else. May be more like "prospecting" for the trade, and ego is best just left at home. Got some good advice pretty quick in that one. May be the BEST piece of advice I ever got.

Went something like this: " KId, (I was 31 years old at the time and already had 13 years at the company) I already KNOW how to do MY F'ing job and earn MY living. Why should I help YOU, but I am. Now you pay attention and do what I TELL YOU or you don't, I don't give a sht. But don't get in my way. ALL these guys already KNOW their jobs, they don't owe you anything. They are doing you a favor, act like it."

Now that was a UNION shop and it was over all the best 4 year experience I've ever had. I learned more there than anywhere else I've ever worked or gone to any school.

Top Bottom