• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think most of them are too short handed to be assholes these days, or people have just figured out you can teach without being an *******, at least until you need to be.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think most of them are too short handed to be assholes these days, or people have just figured out you can teach without being an *******, at least until you need to be.
    A lot of that generation is dead, nine out of ten mechanics I worked for as a helper were douchbags just to be douchbags.
    Helpers still get picked on, but it all changes when as a helper you go up as a temporary mechanic or take your mechanics test and pass.

Reactions: l11

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A lot of that generation is dead, nine out of ten mechanics I worked for as a helper were douchbags just to be douchbags.
    Helpers still get picked on, but it all changes when as a helper you go up as a temporary mechanic or take your mechanics test and pass.

Some hazing was always the norm, I think, but being a tyrant just to be a tyrant only works when you actually are doing them a favor. Now, there's too many openings. Unless you're paying in gold bricks, if you are an ******* people will go work for the guy who isn't. One thing by dad did teach me that's correct is I owe you one day's work, you owe me one day's pay, tomorrow we start all over.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Some hazing was always the norm, I think, but being a tyrant just to be a tyrant only works when you actually are doing them a favor. Now, there's too many openings. Unless you're paying in gold bricks, if you are an ******* people will go work for the guy who isn't. One thing by dad did teach me that's correct is I owe you one day's work, you owe me one day's pay, tomorrow we start all over.
    I agree, I went through in the 80's when it was still popular to berate, belittle, drink heavily on the job and at lunch.
    If you didn't do the bar after work and to cash your check you were an outsider.
    Most of that behavior is gone and good riddance to it.

I know not so long, ago most GM plants in Indiana were having huge problems filling a few trade positions in Molds and Electricians. Good paying jobs, nobody wants them.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    If you have feelings, may be you just aren't cut out for an apprenticeship.

I KNOW they are not all alike but one I served was more like a 4 year Navy boot camp than anything else. May be more like "prospecting" for the trade, and ego is best just left at home. Got some good advice pretty quick in that one. May be the BEST piece of advice I ever got.

Went something like this: " KId, (I was 31 years old at the time and already had 13 years at the company) I already KNOW how to do MY F'ing job and earn MY living. Why should I help YOU, but I am. Now you pay attention and do what I TELL YOU or you don't, I don't give a sht. But don't get in my way. ALL these guys already KNOW their jobs, they don't owe you anything. They are doing you a favor, act like it."

Now that was a UNION shop and it was over all the best 4 year experience I've ever had. I learned more there than anywhere else I've ever worked or gone to any school.
    Haha it was a bad joke. I’m sure I can handle an apprenticeship. I have no problem getting barked at and following orders.

Thank you for the advice. I would be grateful for an opportunity if I get one somewhere. It will not be taken for granted. I’m glad to hear you learned a lot during your 4 years. I value growth/learning.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm a UAW millwright. It was either this or go back to work for the State Dept and I was tired of their bullshido esp after 7 yrs military. Anyhoo, I have 33+ yrs in the union and don't regret paying dues. Best job ever!

Good advice: Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open / try to gauge if your instructors are willing to answer questions. Follow safety guidelines so you don't get hurt. Some of your journeyman may drink on the job but don't YOU do it. No drugs either as you may have to have DOT certs and not only will you not get certified but you will most likely get kicked out of apprenticeship. I have had about 6 apprentices to teach so far. Believe me, you will get stressed and frustrated but when you top out, it will be worth it!
    Good luck!

Last edited:

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haha it was a bad joke. I’m sure I can handle an apprenticeship. I have no problem getting barked at and following orders.

Thank you for the advice. I would be grateful for an opportunity if I get one somewhere. It will not be taken for granted. I’m glad to hear you learned a lot during your 4 years. I value growth/learning.
    An apprenticeship is CONSTANT advice, IF you can recognize it. On the job, on the shop floor, in the locker room, even during the break when it looks like everyone is reading the newspaper, you are getting advice. Being what I considered at the time a pretty well established machinist, and thrown in to an entirely different environment, it took me a while to "adjust". A good piece of advice I got in the break room one time, that took a while to soak in, "You know, a LOT of truth is spoken in jest." Keep in mind a lot of mocking and jabbing the new guy takes place in jest as well. So it is not like the good advice is painted purple and announced with a fan fare. So it can be a little like picking fly specks out of pepper at the time it is given.

Last edited:

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I'm a UAW millwright. It was either this or go back to work for the State Dept and I was tired of their bullshido esp after 7 yrs military. Anyhoo, I have 33+ yrs in the union and don't regret paying dues. Best job ever!

Good advice: Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open / try to gauge if your instructors are willing to answer questions. Follow safety guidelines so you don't get hurt. Some of your journeyman may drink on the job but don't YOU do it. No drugs either as you may have to have DOT certs and not only will you not get certified but you will most likely get kicked out of apprenticeship. I have had about 6 apprentices to teach so far. Believe me, you will get stressed and frustrated but when you top out, it will be worth it!
    Good luck!
    Thank you for the advice! I would definitely be safe doing everything because a shortcut is not worth getting injured for. I’d never drink on the job. I don’t know how people enjoy that lol. Also, I don’t do drugs so I’ll be good in that department. I’m excited and hoping that someone will give me an opportunity.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    An apprenticeship is CONSTANT advice, IF you can recognize. On the job, on the shop floor, in the locker room, even during the break when it looks like everyone is reading the newspaper, you are getting advice. Being what I considered at the time a pretty well established machinist, and thrown in to an entirely different environment, it took me a while to "adjust". A good piece of advice I got in the break room one time, that took a while to soak in, "You know, a LOT of truth is spoken in jest." Keep in mind a lot of mocking and jabbing the new guy takes place in jest as well. So it is not like the good advice is painted purple and announced with a fan fare. So it can be a little like picking fly specks out of pepper at the time it is given.
    Yes sir. I take feedback and advice as a gift so, thank you. I am grateful for those who help me learn and grow. I appreciate the insight and advice! I’m definitely ready and eager to make that leap into a trade

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Is the training there? I am interested but it is about 64 miles away from me :tantrum:
    the 150 for Indiana goes from noble co to Illinois. but the whole 150 area goes to Iowa. the training site is in Illinois. contact them

one down side to construction is winters off so plan ahead. there are some what work year round so it depends on what you do

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    An apprenticeship is CONSTANT advice, IF you can recognize. On the job, on the shop floor, in the locker room, even during the break when it looks like everyone is reading the newspaper, you are getting advice. Being what I considered at the time a pretty well established machinist, and thrown in to an entirely different environment, it took me a while to "adjust". A good piece of advice I got in the break room one time, that took a while to soak in, "You know, a LOT of truth is spoken in jest." Keep in mind a lot of mocking and jabbing the new guy takes place in jest as well. So it is not like the good advice is painted purple and announced with a fan fare. So it can be a little like picking fly specks out of pepper at the time it is given.
    Reminds me of something Shaq said the other day on Inside the NBA.... he loves criticism, if there's truth in it, use it to get better.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Some of the old timers will dog you just pushing buttons just to see how far they can go, and what you'll take.
    Once you stand up to them and start giving it back they'll be your best friend.
    Basically they want to see if you'll stand up for yourself

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you for the advice! I would definitely be safe doing everything because a shortcut is not worth getting injured for. I’d never drink on the job. I don’t know how people enjoy that lol. Also, I don’t do drugs so I’ll be good in that department. I’m excited and hoping that someone will give me an opportunity.

I obviously don't know **** about you other than what you've posted here, but if you present as well in person as you do online you're going to excel regardless of what you choose.

Best of luck, and I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Some of the old timers will dog you just pushing buttons just to see how far they can go, and what you'll take.
    Once you stand up to them and start giving it back they'll be your best friend.
    Basically they want to see if you'll stand up for yourself
    Haha that sounds like fun. If it’s valid feedback I’ll take it. If it’s hazing I’ll eventually tell them to take a hike

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I obviously don't know **** about you other than what you've posted here, but if you present as well in person as you do online you're going to excel regardless of what you choose.

Best of luck, and I hope you keep us updated on your progress.
    I appreciate that. I’ll definitely keep you guys posted if I get in somewhere and tell you about my journey.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    What do you guys think of bricklayers? Someone told me to stop by their hall and speak to the BA. I didn’t consider it initially as it wasn’t my preferred trade, but I wanted some opinions

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What do you guys think of bricklayers? Someone told me to stop by their hall and speak to the BA. I didn’t consider it initially as it wasn’t my preferred trade, but I wanted some opinions
    They are not as common a trade from what I've seen. We have only had brickies in one factory I ever worked in. A lot of places, millwrights to that work if it is needed.

Do you have your private messages on? Can we even send private messages here?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    They are not as common a trade from what I've seen. We have only had brickies in one factory I ever worked in. A lot of places, millwrights to that work if it is needed.

Do you have your private messages on? Can we even send private messages here?
    He not to 50 yet so I don't think so

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I personally would avoid anything to do with concrete or brick work, it will make you old before your time

Top Bottom