• ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Retired union insulator here.
    I know it isn't one of the trades you've expressed interest in and definitely not trying to sell it to ya, just sharing my experience.
    30+ years, never laid off, retired at 55 with monthly pension and half of my health insurance premium paid by my union.
    A 4 year apprenticeship with an annual payscale of 50% 1st year, 60% 2nd, 70% 3rd and 80% 4th year of journeyman rate (approx).
    Journeyman rate currently in mid $30s/hr and an additional foreman's rate for those willing/able to perform jobsite management duties.
    Good luck.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey! Thank you! I’ll try to get in where I can.

The nearest REMC is about 40 miles but, I’ll see if I can get in there. I didn’t even think about linemen so I appreciate that!

Do you know of any other jobs I can work that would get me relevant experience? I started applying to helper or laborer jobs at whatever companies I see have openings.
    Construction is good if you don't mind travelling. I know the past 5 years or so there have been a LOT of apprentice opportunities in the SW part of Indiana. Don't buy in to all that "you have to know someone" bull crap. YES IT CAN HELP, but you can do it with out the nepotism if you want it bad enough. I did and in fact I did it twice. Two different places, two different unions, and two different trades.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Retired union insulator here.
    I know it isn't one of the trades you've expressed interest in and definitely not trying to sell it to ya, just sharing my experience.
    30+ years, never laid off, retired at 55 with monthly pension and half of my health insurance premium paid by my union.
    A 4 year apprenticeship with an annual payscale of 50% 1st year, 60% 2nd, 70% 3rd and 80% 4th year of journeyman rate (approx).
    Journeyman rate currently in mid $30s/hr and an additional foreman's rate for those willing/able to perform jobsite management duties.
    Good luck.

Thanks! I greatly value job security. My last company shut my store down with less than 12 hour notice (Company isn’t doing well and shut down 27 locations). I’ll see if there’s any insulator opportunities near me

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Construction is good if you don't mind travelling. I know the past 5 years or so there have been a LOT of apprentice opportunities in the SW part of Indiana. Don't buy in to all that "you have to know someone" bull crap. YES IT CAN HELP, but you can do it with out the nepotism if you want it bad enough. I did and in fact I did it twice. Two different places, two different unions, and two different trades.

How does traveling work? Driving to the job site as a team or solo? Assuming it’s traveling far away. I know it’s a dumb question so I apologize lol. I’d love to learn construction as it can be very useful. I always found it to be fascinating

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Thanks! I greatly value job security. My last company shut my store down with less than 12 hour notice (Company isn’t doing well and shut down 27 locations). I’ll see if there’s any insulator opportunities near me
    Chicago's local territory dips into NWI and the pay is even better.
    Any chance you're a veteran? The Helmets to Hardhats Program opens alot of doors very fast in many of the union trades.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    oh, and don't believe all the talk from people that don't have a clue, most (3/4) union members I know are Conservatives. They play by the union rules, but vote Conservative.
    And the talk about your money being used to support the Dems, you have to sign up for PAC fund contributions. just tell them no. I told my hall, "they people you vote for and the people I vote for are probably not the same.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    oh, and don't believe all the talk from people that don't have a clue, most (3/4) union members I know are Conservatives. They play by the union rules, but vote Conservative.
    And the talk about your money being used to support the Dems, you have to sign up for PAC fund contributions. just tell them no. I told my hall, "they people you vote for and the people I vote for are probably not the same.
    They all have their hands in each other’s pockets. It doesn’t matter.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How does traveling work? Driving to the job site as a team or solo? Assuming it’s traveling far away. I know it’s a dumb question so I apologize lol. I’d love to learn construction as it can be very useful. I always found it to be fascinating
    I was not in that type of union so don't take this as gospel. I have some good friends who are/were though.

Many unions, you work out of a "Local" and the businesses call the union when they need people. The union then goes down the list of their members offering the work to their members by turn. Then if the work is in "Tell City" putting up lights or what ever, they go there to work. Some have campers on their truck or stay in hotels and come home on weekends.

With an apprenticeship, you complete it by hours worked in the different required skills involved in the trade. So the more you work, the faster you get up grades until completion and full pay.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    How does traveling work?
    Depends
    I've worked from the UP to Arkansas and Minnesota to Ohio. Do I have to travel? Nope. just depends on what trade and if you like the company your working for.
    For us, I get $35 a day per dium and my rooms paid for. some company's pay more, some less.
    I'm centrally located and travel from Gary to Ft Wayne. I think they require us to be 80 miles before they pay for a room.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Chicago's local territory dips into NWI and the pay is even better.
    Any chance you're a veteran? The Helmets to Hardhats Program opens alot of doors very fast in many of the union trades.
    Good point. Thank you! I'm not too far from chicago. I work in Chicago and the commute isn't too bad. I am not a veteran though.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I looked up PAC and I don't think I'd sign up for it. I don't see how giving them my money would help me personally lol. Thanks for the insight

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I was not in that type of union so don't take this as gospel. I have some good friends who are/were though.

Many unions, you work out of a "Local" and the businesses call the union when they need people. The union then goes down the list of their members offering the work to their members by turn. Then if the work is in "Tell City" putting up lights or what ever, they go there to work. Some have campers on their truck or stay in hotels and come home on weekends.

With an apprenticeship, you complete it by hours worked in the different required skills involved in the trade. So the more you work, the faster you get up grades until completion and full pay.
    Hm I think I'd probably do that. If I need thousands of hours to become to complete my apprenticeship, then it would only benefit me. Good to know thanks!

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Depends
    I've worked from the UP to Arkansas and Minnesota to Ohio. Do I have to travel? Nope. just depends on what trade and if you like the company your working for.
    For us, I get $35 a day per dium and my rooms paid for. some company's pay more, some less.
    I'm centrally located and travel from Gary to Ft Wayne. I think they require us to be 80 miles before they pay for a room.
    That's not bad! That's good to know. I'd definitely travel if they pay for a room. It would only benefit me to do so. Getting more experience and seeing new places sounds like fun

Top Bottom