• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I am looking to switch career paths. I would like to get into in apprenticeship program. How can I get my foot in the door? I plan on dropping off my resume at halls where I am interested very soon.

Some trade jobs I would consider are ironworker, millwright, machinist, sheet metal worker, electrician, or pipe fitter. I would definitely be open to other trades but these are ones that I have been looking into. My first pick was iron worker but, I am still learning about different trade jobs so who knows.

I have 8+ years of general manager experience in restaurants. I am tired of working with food and want to learn some real world skills. Would it be hard for me to get in with my experience? I am a motivated and hard working individual that is eager to learn. I live a healthy lifestyle and don’t do drugs.

Is it really as difficult to get into an apprenticeship/union as people say it is? I don’t have any friends that are in this line of work but I am determined to get in somewhere.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    <--- Pipefitter here
    NWI pipefitter union would be 597 out of Chicago, there might be a hall in Crown Point.
    I'm not out of that hall, but have worked out of their area. 597 covers NWI.
    When I worked in Chicago and thought about transferring, every fitter had to pass a welding test during their apprenticeship even if you never welded again after that.
    The hall will teach you everything you'll need to know about welding or fitting, plus you'll learn stuff on the job.

I'm not sure how long the apprenticeship is anymore, but you'll start out at a lower scale and every year it will go up as you gain experience.
    I'll try to answer any questions if I can.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    NWI pipefitter union would be 597 out of Chicago, there might be a hall in Crown Point.
    I'm not out of that hall, but have worked out of their area. 597 covers NWI.
    When I worked in Chicago and thought about transferring, every fitter had to pass a welding test during their apprenticeship even if you never welded again after that.
    The hall will teach you everything you'll need to know about welding or fitting, plus you'll learn stuff on the job.

I'm not sure how long the apprenticeship is anymore, but you'll start out at a lower scale and every year it will go up as you gain experience.
    I'll try to answer any questions if I can.

Thanks so much for replying! Very interesting. I’ll look this up when I get home. I live right on the border of Illinois so either Chicago or crown point wouldn’t be too far.

What part of Chicago are you usually working in? Or is it all over Chicago?

Do you happen to know the pay rate for apprentices? Also, is there anything I should brush up on for an assessment if there is one?

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    My son is in an electrician's program with Gaylor: https://www.gaylor.com/apprenticeships/

He took a pay cut to go there realizing the apprenticeship program was a longer term gain, and he likes it there.

I don't know where specifically they would be near you, but they are all over Indiana and many other states.

Is he enjoying it? I looked it up and unfortunately the nearest location is in Elkhart. I’m in Indiana near Chicago but, I appreciate you!

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Millwright here. I'd suggest Millwright, pipefitter, or electrician if you get a choice, BUT I suggest you DO NOT TURN DOWN ANY OF THOSE LISTED to wait on something else.

Even better than any of those, I'd make a real effort to get in to something like REMC, any job you can get with them and then go after a lineman apprenticeship from with in the company.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Millwright here. I'd suggest Millwright, pipefitter, or electrician if you get a choice, BUT I suggest you DO NOT TURN DOWN ANY OF THOSE LISTED to wait on something else.

Even better than any of those, I'd make a real effort to get in to something like REMC, any job you can get with them and then go after a lineman apprenticeship from with in the company.

Hey! Thank you! I’ll try to get in where I can.

The nearest REMC is about 40 miles but, I’ll see if I can get in there. I didn’t even think about linemen so I appreciate that!

Do you know of any other jobs I can work that would get me relevant experience? I started applying to helper or laborer jobs at whatever companies I see have openings.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Retired International Union Elevator Constructor here.

Not many layoffs, Great bennies, Very good mechanics pay, indy local 34 is 57.00 and change in one's pocket, retirement plan, company paid annuity plan, can also do the company you work for 401 plan. Mileage, zone pay and so on.

Very interesting I will check that out. Thank you so much! Do you think they’d take a chance on someone with experience like mine? If not, what jobs do you think I should take to gain relevant experience?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

For him it would more than likely be NIPSCO but that advice holds true

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Thanks so much for replying! Very interesting. I’ll look this up when I get home. I live right on the border of Illinois so either Chicago or crown point wouldn’t be too far.

Do you happen to know the pay rate for apprentices? Also, is there anything I should brush up on for an assessment if there is one?
    I do Natural Gas work and am a fuser ( like a welder but for PE pipe) last time I worked in 597 area it was $43 / hr but that was non welder, no idea on apprentice scale.
    I think the scale is closer to $48 hr now, but again non welder. I have no idea on what the different years of apprenticeship $

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is he enjoying it? I looked it up and unfortunately the nearest location is in Elkhart. I’m in Indiana near Chicago but, I appreciate you!

He is. Short story: Got turned down for the military at MEPS, didn't want to go to college, tried the trades on for size and found he liked electrical work. Smarter than me at his age, about to turn 19 and has nearly $10k banked, started a retirement fund, living on his own, and while I help some he could still do it without me. (I gave him my old truck and pay the insurance/tags on it, everything else is on him)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Very interesting I will check that out. Thank you so much! Do you think they’d take a chance on someone with experience like mine? If not, what jobs do you think I should take to gain relevant experience?
    The Elevator Industry tends to like people with electric and or microprocessor background, or school, welding, millwright and non union elevator experience.
    And sometimes with nothing relevant at all.

Trade Unions are a good way to go, It worked out well for many I know and myself.

Heres the rates for Indys Elevator Local 34. Chicago I'm sure will be more.
    One of that trades nicer perks is not just a pension but the company paid $10.10 per hour worked Annuity on top of a pension.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    He is. Short story: Got turned down for the military at MEPS, didn't want to go to college, tried the trades on for size and found he liked electrical work. Smarter than me at his age, about to turn 19 and has nearly $10k banked, started a retirement fund, living on his own, and while I help some he could still do it without me. (I gave him my old truck and pay the insurance/tags on it, everything else is on him)
    I have a friend in Lapel and his son is also doing that gig with Gaylor. Hes on a traveling crew. The crew hes on does pole replacement unless its a hurricane, tornado they need to go to.

Shame your son was turned down at MEPS.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    I do Natural Gas work and am a fuser ( like a welder but for PE pipe) last time I worked in 597 area it was $43 / hr but that was non welder, no idea on apprentice scale.
    I think the scale is closer to $48 hr now, but again non welder. I have no idea on what the different years of apprenticeship $
    Wow that’s great money. I make a little over $33 an hour (salaried though) as a GM. Making more money isn’t why I’m trying to transition but it is a plus that I may earn more some day elsewhere. What you do sounds very interesting. I’ll have to look into that. I appreciate your insight!

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    It sounds like you raised him right! What a great dad.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    The Elevator Industry tends to like people with electric and or microprocessor background, or school, welding, millwright and non union elevator experience.
    And sometimes with nothing relevant at all.

Trade Unions are a good way to go, It worked out well for many I know and myself.

Heres the rates for Indys Elevator Local 34. Chicago I'm sure will be more.
    One of that trades nicer perks is not just a pension but the company paid $10.10 per hour worked Annuity on top of a pension.
    Wow I guess union benefits are that good. I’ve heard some people say that unions are a bad thing. I didn’t believe it but seeing that is encouraging! Thank you!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wow I guess union benefits are that good. I’ve heard some people say that unions are a bad thing. I didn’t believe it but seeing that is encouraging! Thank you!
    Not many non union trades have the perks, benefits like mileage and zone pay, annuity's and pensions that come with most Union Trades where you work for the Union. Good Luck to you.
    Ive been told here more than once here, that Trade Unions are a bad thing.

l11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2023
    NWI
    Not many non union trades have the perks, benefits like mileage and zone pay, annuity's and pensions that come with most Union Trades where you work for the Union. Good Luck to you.
    Ive been told here more than once here, that Trade Unions are a bad thing.

I appreciate you! Fingers crossed someone gives me a chance. Thanks again!

Top Bottom