• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm very surprised so many people appendix carry. But since it's so popular, I might give it a try.
    I do have a question, what do you do when sitting down? Won't the barrel dig into your leg?

I had to move the holster around until I found the sweet spot. Now unless I didn't have it set right before a long trip it doesn't hurt.

I carry a full sized M&P appendix at about 0100. I move around a lot for work. It does get in a bind at times but a simple adjustment and I am all good.

Doing some drills this Sunday reminded me of how hot the barrel can get... and being in the appendix position was a little odd.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm very surprised so many people appendix carry. But since it's so popular, I might give it a try.
    I do have a question, what do you do when sitting down? Won't the barrel dig into your leg?

A GOOD AIWB holster will keep your gun high, so sitting down is comfortable. So is bending down, crouching, laying, etc....

I have noticed that when people complain that Apoendix carry is uncomfortable, such as the the gun digging into your leg, they are not using a good quality holster.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I must be the only one who doesn't care for the arch angel. I tried it, ravens ACS and a JM custom. I liked the JM the best but the ones I've made work the best for me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Appendix carry offers the best concealment for me, but not when sitting or bending over. Ouch! Being female, and wearing lower cut jeans than the guys, I wonder if a different holster would help. At least I don't have to worry about my "junk". ;)
    My wife is 5'8'' and probably 130. Shes slender but uses a thundwear holster. She was using it when she had her HP22 but was able to conceal a S&W 6906 with no problems either bending over or sitting. I'm not sure how low cut your talking about but I would consider her jean wear normal probably at or slightly above her hips.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My wife is 5'8'' and probably 130. Shes slender but uses a thundwear holster. She was using it when she had her HP22 but was able to conceal a S&W 6906 with no problems either bending over or sitting. I'm not sure how low cut your talking about but I would consider her jean wear normal probably at or slightly above her hips.

I'm only 5'2", and a little more um...shall we say...full-figured. My jeans hit right below my navel, not obscenely low like some...lol.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm very surprised so many people appendix carry. But since it's so popular, I might give it a try. I do have a question, what do you do when sitting down? Won't the barrel dig into your leg?
    Like Love Machine said, its important it doesn't ride too low, but also that you have a quality holster... And to piggyback on what dudley said, you do have to find that "sweet spot" and it's different for everybody. Some people its 1:00 like him or even 12:00. I however (right handed also) go left of center around 11:00 more like 11:30. it just works for me so well and conceals so much better while being perfectly comfortable. Just try it out and don't be afraid to keep moving it. You may get it right in an hour or it may take a day or two.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I also apendix carry. I used to carry a chopped down G22 with x300 light and a spare mag all appendix, but I've put on a few pounds and all that isn't as comfortable. I still carry appendix, but usually it is a g27 or the chopped g22 with
    out the light.
    My holster preference is Henry Holsters. I would like to try an INCOG sometime, but I really like my Henry holsters.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I also apendix carry. I used to carry a chopped down G22 with x300 light and a spare mag all appendix, but I've put on a few pounds and all that isn't as comfortable. I still carry appendix, but usually it is a g27 or the chopped g22 with
    out the light.
    My holster preference is Henry Holsters. I would like to try an INCOG sometime, but I really like my Henry holsters.

update: been trying an INCOG the past 3 days and I really like it. I am using it with a full size M&P, so that makes concealment more dificult, but the comfort is there. Looking into one when I get a shield.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I've always carried appendix, before it was even all over the Internet and called that. I've also always caught sh*t from my friends for it. But unlike them I can sit in my car or at a table, and still be able to draw my weapon, and it doesn't get in the way, and I carry a fairly "large" and "heavy" handgun. Only time it really sucks is in the summer when it's all hot and sweaty. Oh and there are quite a few articles that have shown that "appendix" carry lends itself to quicker draws.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Only time it really sucks is in the summer when it's all hot and sweaty

I hear that. I have struggled with this all last summer. With my pistol as well as with my spare mags. Being fat and doing physical labor does tend to make it a bother.

It is easier wearing a tool pouch while AIWB carrying rather than at the 0300-0400.

Hoagie52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2014
    Noblesville
    update: been trying an INCOG the past 3 days and I really like it. I am using it with a full size M&P, so that makes concealment more dificult, but the comfort is there. Looking into one when I get a shield.

are you using the new eclipse incog. they look really nice i but haven't seen any reviews.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I've always carried appendix, before it was even all over the Internet and called that. I've also always caught sh*t from my friends for it. But unlike them I can sit in my car or at a table, and still be able to draw my weapon, and it doesn't get in the way, and I carry a fairly "large" and "heavy" handgun. Only time it really sucks is in the summer when it's all hot and sweaty. Oh and there are quite a few articles that have shown that "appendix" carry lends itself to quicker draws.
    You caught sh*t because you don't use a holster. There is a difference. ;)

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Oh no. It was because of my placement also "you'll shoot your dick off!" It's like a twisted "Christmas story" lol

And no one sells a holster for my carry piece. I should break down and have someone make me a kydex one however.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I started carrying this way about two years ago and I love it. There is definitely appendix specific gear. Most people try it without said gear and are turned off of it because of comfort issues. I find it very comfortable, even when sitting. I don't understand the whole safety argument with it either. Modern guns don't go off by themselves, keep your finger off the trigger and you'll be fine. I haven't shot my junk off yet and I've never heard of a case where someone (with proper gear and training) has. I carry spare mags the same way.

2u5rjir.jpg

Looks like your XDS is at 1 o'clock?

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I think about appendix carry every time I have to sit in a chair with arms, and catch my 4 o'clock owb holster, but I'm not a thin guy these days. I also love my full size 1911, though I suppose I could go to a 4" model, or my XD. Any good ideas on appendix carry for us fat guys?

Top Bottom