• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    When I bought my Shield it came with a cheaper AIWB holster. Definitely not made for someone with a gut. I may try it again with a more quality holster when more of the gut disappears.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Does your gun often go off when carrying in the 3 or 4 o'clock position? My guess is no. Carry in a good holster and it doesn't matter what position your gun is it. I do appendix carry and it works for me and is very comfortable, but not for everyone for sure.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at Dale Fricke holsters. The Archangel seems to ride a little low from what I can tell. I like the look of the Joab a bit more. It seems like it may be more comfortable. Has anyone used both models? If so, what have you found the differences to be? And, has anyone ordered a Fricke holster with the Extra Girth Adapter?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm looking at Dale Fricke holsters. The Archangel seems to ride a little low from what I can tell. I like the look of the Joab a bit more. It seems like it may be more comfortable. Has anyone used both models? If so, what have you found the differences to be? And, has anyone ordered a Fricke holster with the Extra Girth Adapter?

I have not used the Joab, but I use the archangel everyday. It rides perfectly fine, really at a perfect height. The joab may sit a touch higher like you say, and that can be a good thing for appendix carry sometimes while other times no. I like loops a lot though and I have no problem getting a great grip and draw from the archangel. So I won't try and sell you too much towards it over the Joab but I will say that I am confident you will love it!

I bought one for a Glock 26/27 off of an INGO member. But I carry a 19 and have carried a 17 in it no problem. It does not dig too bad and I have been both skinny and overweight during my time of use. Like a 50lb fluctuation and it's been fine. However if you are very big and are afraid you will push the muzzle into yourself you may buy the girth adapter. However I have not found a need for it and think you will be fine.

If you do buy a Joab I would love to read a review!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've only ever appendix carried. Tried all the usual positions but could not do it. Print too badly for me and not comfortable at all. My glock 27 disappears at 12:30. Just picked up a CZ P09 that I've been playing with at appendix, need to make a holster for it as I've been using a modified g27 holster. The CZ also disappears and is very comfortable. Much more confidence in a full size rig.

Jon

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This just arrived in the mail yesterday. I wore it yesterday and will for a while and report back. They're made in Indiana and I'm happy with the quality!
    How secure does it feel? With only one soft loop to attach to your belt I would think it flops back and forth a bit. I look forward to your review, I really like the look of it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The problem with AIWB holster with a single strap is that it moves and shifts. It leads to an inconsistent draw and re-holstering. But it's also a catch-22, a single strap AIWB holster CAN be more comfortable because it does move and shift with your body.

IMO, the Archangel is the best out there. It's a dual strap, rides high and is very comfortable. And it conceals very well. I have used it when I was a porker, and have continued using it at 60lbs lighter. I don't wear baggy clothes, and I never print.

The Archangel is a bit expensive, but it's worth every penny. I now have one for each of my carry guns.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    148   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    The problem with AIWB holster with a single strap is that it moves and shifts. It leads to an inconsistent draw and re-holstering. But it's also a catch-22, a single strap AIWB holster CAN be more comfortable because it does move and shift with your body...

To follow up in my comment about the Cry Havoc AIWB holster I just bought. This statement pretty much sums it up. For me personally, I really like that the holster shifts "where it needs to go", whether I'm in the car, walking around or what ever. Will it produce inconsistent draws? Maybe, but it seems like it shifts back to the same spot every time I stand up.

I'll give it a go next time I'm at the range, but for the short term, I'm still happy with the purchase.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I took the plunge and ordered an Archangel and mag pouch for my Ruger SR9c. I'm excited to try it out. Hopefully, it's as good as I've been told.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I took the plunge and ordered an Archangel and mag pouch for my Ruger SR9c. I'm excited to try it out. Hopefully, it's as good as I've been told.

You should get it soon I would think, if you haven't already... Let us know what you think!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    To paraphrase John Hearne (because I can't remember his exact words), its not the odds, its the stakes. Appendix carriers are no more likely to shoot themselves upon drawing or reholstering than anyone else, the problem is what can happen if they do. Appendix carry is inherently more deadly than other forms of waistband carry. It is up to the individual to make the decision. There are things you can do to mitigate the risk to a great extent to include a proper holster, good reholstering methods, ... etc.

Case in point from one of Tom Givens' Rangemaster newsletters (January 2012 [1]) - "A man was carrying a Glock in his waistband at what is commonly referred to as 'appendix position' without a holster. He was seated in the driver's seat of a minivan with his wife and children aboard on a shoppin grip. Upon parking, while trying to release his seat belt buckle, the gun discharged, sending a bullet through the femoral artery in his thigh. Although he was immediately taken to the hospital, he bled to death enroute."

Yes, lots of fail there in many ways. Though, it does go to show the heightened stakes of AIWB carry. Not something to be done stupidly or casually. (From one who carries AIWB on occasion.)

[1] - http://www.rangemaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2012-01-Newsletter.pdf

Top Bottom