Aperture Sights and Vision Correction...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I want to set up one of my 10/22s as a LTR but before I order Tech-Sights I decided to shoulder a few rifles with similar sights at one of my LGS.

I cannot seem to get a uniform sight picture (the rear aperture always appears distorted (not evenly blurred all-around). This only happens when looking out the corner of my eye (as when mounting the rifle). The rear sight is undistorted (blurred evenly all-around) when looking straight ahead through it.

This may be because I am astigmatic and have a fairly strong prescription (around -6 diopter, I think...).

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think I could still shoot accurately using aperture sights? Or should I just use a scope? I'd really like to do this with iron sights if possible.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I also noticed Tech-Sights is offering different sized inserts made from urethane (they sell these along with an insert-ready rear post). The rear aperture is hooded within the insert so maybe this will help? Has anyone tried these?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I want to set up one of my 10/22s as a LTR but before I order Tech-Sights I decided to shoulder a few rifles with similar sights at one of my LGS.

I cannot seem to get a uniform sight picture (the rear aperture always appears distorted (not evenly blurred all-around). This only happens when looking out the corner of my eye (as when mounting the rifle). The rear sight is undistorted (blurred evenly all-around) when looking straight ahead through it.

This may be because I am astigmatic and have a fairly strong prescription (around -6 diopter, I think...).

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think I could still shoot accurately using aperture sights? Or should I just use a scope? I'd really like to do this with iron sights if possible.

You should be looking straight ahead through your aperature rear sight when mounting your rifle. That is likely the problem. You should not be looking out of the corner of your eye. Sounds like you need to properly "turkey-neck". Last time I shot I noticed the same thing, but it was because I need a haircut and my hair was distorting my sight picture.
    Your head should be farily level when looking through your sights.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    You should be looking straight ahead through your aperature rear sight when mounting your rifle. That is likely the problem. You should not be looking out of the corner of your eye. Sounds like you need to properly "turkey-neck". Last time I shot I noticed the same thing, but it was because I need a haircut and my hair was distorting my sight picture.
    Your head should be farily level when looking through your sights.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. I think I would need to raise the stock on my shoulder while turkey-necking. I have been placing the stock in the pocket and lowering my cheek to it, forcing me to look out the corner of my eye rather than straight ahead. I guess what seems comfortable and natural isn't always the best technique.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Nobody has touched on the obvious. Anyone who can simultaneously focus on three different planes of sight has an amazing gift. With my aperture sighted rifles, the only thing in focus is the front sight. Second best focus is the target - third is the rear sight.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nobody has touched on the obvious. Anyone who can simultaneously focus on three different planes of sight has an amazing gift. With my aperture sighted rifles, the only thing in focus is the front sight. Second best focus is the target - third is the rear sight.

Understood, and of course you're exactly right... I just noticed a difference in how the rear sight appears when focusing in the front post. With head turned, the rear aperture isn't round, it's kind of elongated and tilted at an angle. With head straight, the rear aperture is blurred and round when focusing on the front post. I think it would be difficult to get a proper sight picture with head turned.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Yeah, I was just saying to hold the rifle level with the stock in your shoulder pocket then turkey neck forward, dropping your chin forward and beside the stock. Your head will be mostly vertical . You will not be looking out of the corner of your eye. You will be looking a little out of the top of your eye depending on how far you have to lower your head.

Guess I am trying to say that your head remains vertical and not cockeyed.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Also, I understood the question of degree of bluriness not as a question of trying to focus on 3 planes. I thought that was the question.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    The beauty of receiver sights is that your eye tends to "automatically" center the front bead or blade. As IndianaGTI said you're looking through it, so its being hazy and/or out of focus doesn't matter. Focus on the front sight and centering it in the rear aperture will take care of itself. Just keep your eye lined up so that you're looking straight through it instead of out of the corner.

Top Bottom