Anyone work at a motorcycle dealership in North-Central IN ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Going to revisit this thread. The wife and I stopped in the Honda dealer yesterday in Kokomo, and looked at the Shadows. Really like the Phantom. Sts low enough that I can stand on it comfortably, looks amazing, and feel comfortable sitting on it (obviously didnt ride it due to that whole wnter thing). Anyone have thoughts on them? Side note dealer wants 8900 out the door.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I would steer anyone that doesn't wrench on their own bikes to get a Harley... Dealer network and parts availability far and away better than almost anything except a goldwing.. Btw my first Bike ever was dyna superglide.. Had a street glide and now a roadglide and still miss the dyna!! Handled great and perfect for 50-100 mile trips.. Big enough and cheap as well for a big twin Harley.. I would recommend 07+ years as well...

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Harley's are great bikes, and I plan to own a few before I die, but if someone is looking at keeping a smaller budget, I tend to steer them AWAY from Harley. HD = Hunderd Dollar. Everything seems to cost more with a Harley. Nothing against them, amazing bikes like I said.

I owned a 1983 Honda shadow back in the day. Great bike, beat the living crap out of it and it ran like a champ. Would never buy a sportbike honda (Suzuki for me) but the Shadow line of bikes are great.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I like Harley's... but the whole hundred dollar concept (and I have heard that little HD=Hundred dollars from EVERYONE i know that rides a Harley)... I am more than capable of turning my own wrenches when the occasion arises. Decisions decisions...

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Sit on every bike you think you might like, then see what FITS you, and what feels best to you. Then compare prices and options, and also look at the aftermarket available for each bike you are considering. trust me, bike will not remain 100% stock forever, and even look at cost of maintenence (even at DIY prices). Don't just go on sticker price, factor is all in. Biggest is SIT SIT SIT, then find what feels like it fits you best.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My ass has been finding itself on many lately. That one was just one that caught my eye from the get go, as well as being a lower cc, it will be lower on insurance, etc. Maintenance/upkeep is of course something I want to keep in mind, thanks for the tip hh1k. The dealer encouraged my wife and I both to sit on it yesterday (she just felt weird about the idea, but I will talk her into it before the purchase). I know it wont remain stock. I have never owned something and left it stock, haha.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I was dead set on a sport bike 8 years ago, but I had no idea what brand. I sat on the Yamaha and even thou they were the "best" for that model year, it was so uncomfortable I immediatly left it off my list. Fell in love with my Suzuki brand now. Got a deal on my 1000cc curent bike, and prob have as much in it aftermarket as I do the purchase price! lol

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    A lot of the reason I like the Phantom is because it is already almost all black already (personal preference of black vehicles)... So my aftermarket can be focused on more performance as needed/wanted.... And it was just stupid comfortable to sit on. The Sportster I rode last year was on, but just sat a little higher than I prefer. I got offered a nice price on it, and had been thinking about it, but my wife brought up how much I am going to have to change to get it to where I want it.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I wouldn't let wrenching on your bike or not let you decided what to get. Honda has a large dealer network. Plus they are known for their reliability. I had a Honda ST1300 and put 85,000 miles on it and never had one problem. Just regular maintenance and new tires.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Well, I know some of you are going to give me crap for this, but whatever. I ended up with an 883 Sportster. Its an 03 with 3K, anniversary paint, and I paid 3200 for it. I plan on the 1200 upgrade, and I am unsure what Im going to do outside of that. Def want to give it more power, but I got an awesome deal on it from some great friends, and its just a fun little bike to play on.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Not sure why people would give someone crap over getting a good deal on an 883. Yeah, some people call them ladies bikes but they're the people that don't know the history of the Sportsters. I've got a handful of friends that ride the big inch bikes for long hauls but keep a sporty around for fun. Some use them as track bikes, others for around town or for solo rides around some of the lakes. Then I've got some shovelhead friends that keep them for when their old bikes are down (not because they're crap but some of them change their old bikes up far too often and sometimes get sidetracked and don't get the project done before good weather hits). If the bike makes you happy, screw what other idiots think.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Not sure why people would give someone crap over getting a good deal on an 883. Yeah, some people call them ladies bikes but they're the people that don't know the history of the Sportsters. I've got a handful of friends that ride the big inch bikes for long hauls but keep a sporty around for fun. Some use them as track bikes, others for around town or for solo rides around some of the lakes. Then I've got some shovelhead friends that keep them for when their old bikes are down (not because they're crap but some of them change their old bikes up far too often and sometimes get sidetracked and don't get the project done before good weather hits). If the bike makes you happy, screw what other idiots think.

A lot of it is "Its a chick bike" crowd. Like I said, I dont care, none of them are paying my payment, so frankly, they can kiss my ass. I will have it paid off this year, and in a couple years when the kids are a little bigger, we plan on a bigger bike for the Mrs. and I to go play on, then this will just be my play around town bike.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    A lot of it is "Its a chick bike" crowd. Like I said, I dont care, none of them are paying my payment, so frankly, they can kiss my ass. I will have it paid off this year, and in a couple years when the kids are a little bigger, we plan on a bigger bike for the Mrs. and I to go play on, then this will just be my play around town bike.

Most of the "its a chick bike" crowd I've met only ride in perfect weather to buy the newest shirt at the closest HD dealer before heading to the nearest bar. As you said, they're not making your payment so their opinions don't matter.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Most of the "its a chick bike" crowd I've met only ride in perfect weather to buy the newest shirt at the closest HD dealer before heading to the nearest bar. As you said, they're not making your payment so their opinions don't matter.

You owe me a new keyboard, as I just spit water out my nose and onto mine laughing about that statement.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Ain' my kind'a bike, but........would'n give a ratz whut the crowd sezz......MYSELF......jus' don't like the high CoG on'em.....but they waayyy more nimble than most the big'r bikes......I'd enjoy it......if I was you.....pizz on'a naysayers......:twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom