• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    1. For the price of one AR, one can purchase multiple AR lowers. AR lowers are the regulated item, everything else is unregulated and can be purchased through the mail when funds are available.

2. Storage space. In both volume and weight, AR lowers are far more compact and will thus take up less cubic feet in the safe.

3. Place holders. The AR lower, assuming arguendo unfavorable future legislation, serves as a placeholder in grandfathering a la VCCA of 1994.

I can understand lowers being cheaper and trying to build as you go, but let's say the ban is in place as of now. Would you still be able to buy the pieces you need to complete the build?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    They were impossible to buy for an extended period of time though during the post Newtown panic.

But that wasn't a ban, was it? No, it was a massive demand spike which depleted the supply of available inventory as well as future production for many months.

I was able to find uppers, BCGs, etc. during the Great Panic of 2013...but I had to pay more for them, because of supply/demand.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I strongly suggest that if buying lowers out of concern re: future availability then you buy the entire thing and not take chances on being able to come up with parts later.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Kirk is right, there is no way to know before the hypothetical statute is drafted. The upper, lpk, and whatever parts MAY be included in the hypothetical ban, but the lower is 100% guaranteed to be in the ban.

Because se of panic buying and a potential ban, I would try to get the complete rifle as others have suggested. If funds dictate that I have to pick and choose the parts I am able to get however, I would start with the lower.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Are uppers, LPKs, and other AR parts currently "banned" in CT? NY? CA?

Frankly it'd be hard to believe, given the current polarized political environment and the reality that gun murders are down 11.68% 2009-2014, that a "ban" more stringent than those would get the signature of POTUS...even if Hillary gets elected and Democrats retake the Senate by a slim majority.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Are uppers, LPKs, and other AR parts currently "banned" in CT? NY? CA?

Frankly it'd be hard to believe, given the current polarized political environment and the reality that gun murders are down 11.68% 2009-2014, that a "ban" more stringent than those would get the signature of POTUS...even if Hillary gets elected and Democrats retake the Senate by a slim majority.

Since when did the antis use logic? If they have the votes they will ban.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Since when did the antis use logic? If they have the votes they will ban.

That's kind of my point - under what scenario would they 'have the votes' for any new federal AWB, let alone one more stringent than CA, NY or CT?

Democrats couldn't muster 60 votes in the Senate post-Newtown even when they held the majority, to say nothing of the GOP-held House which currently enjoys a significant margin in members. Since that failed Senate vote, gun murders have done nothing but go down in actual numbers per the FBI UCR - a fact that many in the "gun violence epidemic" circle conveniently fail to mention.

I'm not saying it couldn't EVER happen, but given the way things stand today I don't think there's a realistic chance of passage under Madam President's first two years short of a historic collapse of the GOP in this fall's election.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No one knows what is going to happen. Some of the talking heads say that more than a quarter of Republicans could stay home. If so, we could potentially lose the House and Senate. If so we will get gun control, we will get a SCOTUS that will celebrate that gun control.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    When I look in my gun safe at my "pre-ban" Colt "Sporter," I am reminded of all the things that were banned or outlawed, and how little sense they made. This rifle was one of Colt's efforts to try to create weapons that would appease the anti's, and stave off a ban. No bayonet lug, deeply milled bolt carrier (so as to never be able to trip an auto-sear), funny name for an AR15, and many other small features that did nothing to affection the basic functioning of the rifle. What good did all that appeasement do?

Everything at this point is speculative; I would not count on anything being available, either because of the pants-wetting scared anti's creating and passing legislation, or a run on what firearms, parts, or ammo is available.

But, then again, maybe nothing will happen. I personally have a stock of 5.56 from 1994 that I'm still shooting through, just in case.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    When I look in my gun safe at my "pre-ban" Colt "Sporter," I am reminded of all the things that were banned or outlawed, and how little sense they made. This rifle was one of Colt's efforts to try to create weapons that would appease the anti's, and stave off a ban. No bayonet lug, deeply milled bolt carrier (so as to never be able to trip an auto-sear), funny name for an AR15, and many other small features that did nothing to affection the basic functioning of the rifle. What good did all that appeasement do?

Everything at this point is speculative; I would not count on anything being available, either because of the pants-wetting scared anti's creating and passing legislation, or a run on what firearms, parts, or ammo is available.

But, then again, maybe nothing will happen. I personally have a stock of 5.56 from 1994 that I'm still shooting through, just in case.
    me too bought a bunch of the 1980's 55 grain malaysian .556 to shoot through my lug less heavy 20" with the manufacture date stamped into the side of the receiver.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've learned to keep stock up.
    My fear is the future newly appointed SCOTUS may make this upcoming drought last a bit longer than usual.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    The Executive branch might propose legislation, but unless it has the votes in the Legislative branch it doesn't much matter.

Which is why congressional and Senate races are SO very important.

To the OP's question - yes, a little. 2008/2009 was a blip on the radar but 2013/2014 was a ginormous PITA and after that, "never again".

I agree, but republican senate seats see 15 up for re-election, while democratics only have 10 for re-election.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been steadily stocking up on magazines, ammo and reloading components for awhile now. I didn't start reloading until right around the 2012 panic and saw what was going on then, so trying to avoid that for the future. I also managed to snag 1000 rounds of .22 at my Walmart last night at a price I've not seen in a long time. Don't "need" it now, but it'll keep, and I should be more than able to weather another drought.

Top Bottom