Anyone see the falling star/meteor tonight??!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I was arriving home about 9:30 (ish) when I was taking my camper awning done; I looked up just in time to see a super fast falling objects shine and flame toward what looked like Illinois! I was thinking 'he is in Washington now, you missed' :):.

It was awesome, I have seen so few falling or shooting stars. This one seemed to be so large that it was not going to be burned up before it hit the earth, perhaps here in the U.S. somewhere.

Anyone? :popcorn:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I was arriving home about 9:30 (ish) when I was taking my camper awning done; I looked up just in time to see a super fast falling objects shine and flame toward what looked like Illinois! I was thinking 'he is in Washington now, you missed' :):.

It was awesome, I have seen so few falling or shooting stars. This one seemed to be so large that it was not going to be burned up before it hit the earth, perhaps here in the U.S. somewhere.

Anyone? :popcorn:

we would only be so lucky if it were to hit Illinois, or for that matter, Cali. ;) :popcorn:

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, I saw it. I was driving home going west on 46 towards Nashville. One of the brightest I've ever seen. It looked like it broke into pieces at the end. If I remember correctly, there is an annual meteor shower about this time of year - Persiods(?). Awesome to watch if you have a good year with no moon and you are out where there are no lights.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Leonids meteor shower is coming. Peak viewing will be Wednesday or Thursday night between 12am and 4am. What you're seeing is the Earth passing through the dust cloud left by the Tempel-Tuttle comet.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Yes, I saw it. I was driving home going west on 46 towards Nashville. One of the brightest I've ever seen. It looked like it broke into pieces at the end. If I remember correctly, there is an annual meteor shower about this time of year - Persiods(?). Awesome to watch if you have a good year with no moon and you are out where there are no lights.

It did break up, and it was SO, SO bright! Awesome!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Perseid Meteor shower, coming to a peak on the night of August 11th and 12th at a possible 200 per hour. The rate right now is around 20 or so an hour. We saw a few over the weekend and are looking forward to the peak. I hope it's clear that night!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Perseid Meteor shower, coming to a peak on the night of August 11th and 12th at a possible 200 per hour. The rate right now is around 20 or so an hour. We saw a few over the weekend and are looking forward to the peak. I hope it's clear that night!

Did anybody see any tonight? For me the moon is kinda bright. I could go back out there for longer I guess and may still do that.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I just went back out for a while, prob around a half hour. I saw quite a few this time, all over the place it was hard to keep track of them. I'm sure I didn't see all that went by in that time span but I saw most of them!!:rockwoot:

made a couple wishes as well. ;)

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I went out for about 45 minutes around 5am. Saw 12 and some of them were pretty bright with long lasting trails. Most were real faint with the bright moon - it was high in the sky. I'm going to try again tonight and se if I can time the moon a little better so it's lower in the horizon.

Top Bottom