• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good Ole' Fetlas....that place was awesome. A stuffed bear at the front door, go-karts and dune buggies hanging from the ceiling, adult magazines, guns and groceries all under the same roof. Seriously, Fetlas was something you had to experience to understand the effect it had on the whole NWI region.

I'm pretty sure I bought my first several Chinese stars there....then promptly lost them within 10 minutes of being home.

I'm pretty sure I bought my first set of Nun Chucks there....then promptly cracked my head within 10 minutes of being home.

I'm pretty sure I bought my first butterfly knife there....which broke within a week. Blade went flying off and everything...right in the middle of my bad-ass balisong maneuvers!

I'm pretty sure they had a "back room" where they sold all of the machine guns and stuff....I swear to GAWD they did.

Crossbows, blow guns, knives, camo, paddle boats, footwear, handguns, long guns, bird baths (lol), SWAT gear....that place had everything.

ahhhhh, I miss that place.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Fetla and Bert were partners. Bert bought him out in the early '90's. The place slipped a bit. Then they had some guys selling out of the back room and an ATF inventory/log check showed bad discrepancies. They got sued by Gary, IN. Bert ended up selling out. Then the place started the slide down to oblivion. Spent a lot of time kicking around in there. Prices were negotiable, the surplus stuff was great fun. I remember my FIL and I walking out with a Mosin, Mauser, Enfield and ammo for all of 'em for less than 3 bills. Good times!

HB

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    The big thing I remember the most is the smell of the place. It was very unique and even now I can almost remember exactly how it smelled. I miss Fetlas!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Made quite a few trips to Fetlas back in the day. Bought a number of firearms and assorted goods. Me and a buddy made the trip there about once a week or so. They had alot of **** packed in there and sometimes you got the feeling that something was gonna fall over on top of you.

Last edited:

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I purchased two shotguns and my first handgun from Fetla's. Back in the day, my girlfriend (now wife) and I ran over to Fetla's about once a month just to look around. That is probably the coolest store I have ever seen.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    My Father and I bought our first canoe there. These posts take me back to my youth, when that store was absolutely stocked floor to ceiling with treasure! Saw my first pair of ta-tas there at the adult mag shelf in the back! Good times! lolz

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I bought many guns there and became very good friends with one of the managers. He would always cut us a great deal. Really miss the store.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    FETLAS RULED!!!

You could buy a dog house, flag, ice skates, a shotgun or a 30 ft. ladder there. WTF would you shop anywhere else?

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Man, I used to buy sling shots, blow guns, and crappy airsoft guns there all the time when I was a kid! And I would always stare longingly at all the awesome gokarts and other motorized goodness. Plus, I always loved looking at all the cool guns there. :):

PiZZaMaN2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    La Porte, In
    My father bought me my first rifle there, A Remington 597 when I turned 16. I remember wandering up and down the aisles just drooling at everything they had. Good times, I miss that place.

Top Bottom